VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:54 AM

Default Generic Music Archive and shopping at Amazon.com

I think that VGMdb is a fabolous info-provider for videogame music. I'd like to know about a similar archive/community for every type of music, where I can find infos about authors, albums, the release date, how many releases existing, and so on: do you know any?

By the way, do some of you shop at Amazon.com?
How it works? The sellers send items to Amazon and Amazon send them to me? Also, I've heard that Amazon can store items for you for a time, to let you continue shopping and save money on deliver costs: is it true?
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:08 AM
VGMdb Administrator

You're probably looking for Discogs.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:45 AM
VGMdb Administrator

As for Amazon, I buy stuff on there all the time, including items that come from other sellers. All that you heard about Amazon sounds true to me, but only if you are talking about the stuff that Amazon sells directly. When dealing with something from another seller, I'm pretty sure it's shipped directly to you and not to Amazon, so there's no storage.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:42 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
When dealing with something from another seller, I'm pretty sure it's shipped directly to you and not to Amazon, so there's no storage.
Yep, that's correct. The marketplace sellers have no direct connection to Amazon apart from being "included" in their marketplace system.

Marketplace sellers might even have different conditions for shipping items, e.g. most sellers at the japanese Amazon site won't ship an item outside of Japan. That also applies to the US Amazon site.

Shipping costs are not reduced when ordering multiple items from the same marketplace seller, you pay the usual fee per item. I have not seen any seller that refunds those fees when ordering more than one item.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 05:43 AM

1) Thank you all. I am sorry to open a thread for things that aren't exactly "discussions".

2) I feel eBay by far more comfortable. You can see items pictures, too, and this is very important. So I'd be courious to know why you prefer Amazon

As for «Discogs», I hope it is as good as VGMdb (I still have to give a look at it).
Old Oct 1, 2009, 07:45 AM

Don't buy vgm from marketplace sellers on amazon. They are littered with bootlegs like ebay, with massively inflated prices.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 08:10 AM

discogs is honestly not as good as vgmdb, the standard isn't nearly as high. nonetheless it's a kick-ass resource.