VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 22, 2014, 03:52 AM
VGMdb Staff

Hey isdapi why did you change the track "Saint Shinwa" to "Soldier Dream Instrumental"?
the Soldier Dream instrumental (from Broadway) is totally different by arrangement from this Saint Shinwa track on this album. Also the last track same thing.
The tracklist on back cover and on disc give only 聖闘士神話 & 夢旅人. On the booklet there are 聖闘士神話 (インストルメンタル) & 夢旅人 (インストルメンタル), with (Instrumental) is printed in lower size. Also the (ソルジャードリーム) printed over 聖闘士神話 in the booklet and in the back cover is printed in lower size.

Last edited by depa; Jan 22, 2014 at 04:16 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 05:05 AM

without forgetting that "balmung sword" is quite stupid, it's like havin "excalibur sword" (would make no sense)

isdapi: if you dare to touch my eternal box tracklist, I delete it (or I delete you)
Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:03 AM
VGMdb Staff

also from others album:

ペガサス流星拳 to Pegasus Meteor Fist
YOU ARE MY REASON TO BE ~愛は瞳の中に~ to YOU ARE MY REASON TO BE ~Love is in the Eyes~
鳳翼天翔~不死鳥のはばたき to Phoenix's Wings Rise ~ Phoenix's Flapping Wings
and others.....
all tracklist edits seem to be taken from others site translation (wiki, SS fan page, ecc...)
damn we had a perfect syncronization beetween all albums in the database

Last edited by depa; Jan 22, 2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:26 PM

Believe it or not, I'd written a long reply to why I've been doing these edits to the tracklists of some old Saint Seiya albums. It even included a joke about my plan to dominate the world because I'm a gemini (Saga/Kanon reference).

First things first, I didn't want to upset anyone with those recent edits but it seems I did it. Tracklist translations are a dangerous territory to venture into, so I don't know if I will be able to convince you that my approach to these tracklists is valid. If you guys want to revert it back, I'm not going to cry, either way. So, there go my reasons:

Quote:
ペガサス流星拳 to Pegasus Meteor Fist
鳳翼天翔~不死鳥のはばたき to Phoenix's Wings Rise ~ Phoenix's Flapping Wings
In those cases, I know that '流星拳' and '鳳翼天翔' are fighting techniques that can be romanized as "Ryuseiken" and "Hoyoku Tensho" (or variations thereof). But, in my opinion, these romanizations have no place in an english tracklist when there are translations of said techniques with more or less acceptation (they're not just fan translations). I mean, terms such as Ryuseiken are valid for romaji tracklists but if there is some translation into english of those terms I don't see the point in including them into english tracklists.

Quote:
YOU ARE MY REASON TO BE ~愛は瞳の中に~ to YOU ARE MY REASON TO BE ~Love is in the Eyes~
Same as before, if you have an english tracklist, I don't see the point in leaving a part of the tracktitle in romaji. And yeah, I know that some people don't ever translate singles or songs into english, but that's the reason why romaji tracklists exist.

Quote:
all tracklist edits seem to be taken from others site translation (wiki, SS fan page, ecc...)
I don't honestly see what's wrong with that, I mean if you're doing a translation of some album's tracklist, the least you can do is to acquaint yourself with the information available on the net about the game/series/movie/whatever. It's the minimun required if you want to do a fine job in your translations. For example, let's take "太陽神殿の崩壊" that previously was translated as "The Sun Temple Collapses" and I changed it for "Corona Temple's Destruction" and the reason why I did that was because Corona Temple is how this temple is named in the west. Another example if you like is "最終聖戦" previously translated as "Final Battle" and changed it for "The Last Holy War" What a surprise! What's the title of the movie of that album?

And in the same vein, I've changed some tracktitles as "Sad Brothers" instead of "Sorrowful Brothers", or "Cosmo of Friendship" instead of "Friendly Cosmo" because the new translations don't add anything new to the old and way more widespread translations of the said tracks. I don't see translating as a fight of egos, and if I see an existing translation for a track which is accurate enough, then I'll stick to it.

Quote:
without forgetting that "balmung sword" is quite stupid, it's like havin "excalibur sword" (would make no sense)
I'm quite literal in my approach to translation, so if the original is バルムングの剣を求めて and it contains the kanji '剣' which literally means 'sword', the answer is obvious. I don't really mind that translation with or without the word 'sword', but the problem is that originally the tracktitle is バルムングのを求めて, one considers stupid or not.

Quote:
Hey isdapi why did you change the track "Saint Shinwa" to "Soldier Dream Instrumental"?
First, I was using this image as reference, which is from the animex reprint of the 1988 album. In most of the cases, when there is hiragana or katakana written over kanji is to indicate the pronunciation, for that reason in the case of "聖闘士神話" I've translated as "Soldier Dream", and I know that is not exactly the meaning of the original tracktitle, but that's another discussion. Forced reading prevails over meaning of kanjis, that's how I see it.

And one last thing, depa, if you have access to the booklets of those old albums, could you check if there is any information about the musicians who performed under the name of Andromeda Harmonic Orchestra. This scan is the only one that I've seen that contains information about the musicians of this legendary orchestra, and I'd like to know who performed under that 'Ad Hoc' orchestra. So, if you can provide better scans or images with better resolution to identify the performers, your help or any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdapi

First things first, I didn't want to upset anyone with those recent edits but it seems I did it. Tracklist translations are a dangerous territory to venture into, so I don't know if I will be able to convince you that my approach to these tracklists is valid. If you guys want to revert it back, I'm not going to cry, either way...
so why did you venture to change existing translations? and I will revert it

Quote:
In those cases, I know that '流星拳' and '鳳翼天翔' are fighting techniques that can be romanized as "Ryuseiken" and "Hoyoku Tensho" (or variations thereof). But, in my opinion, these romanizations have no place in an english tracklist when there are translations of said techniques with more or less acceptation (they're not just fan translations). I mean, terms such as Ryuseiken are valid for romaji tracklists but if there is some translation into english of those terms I don't see the point in including them into english tracklists.
personally, it's more than that to me, it's proper name
it's not simply a word or a sentence in some dialogues, no it's the name of an attack (or attacks)

Quote:
Same as before, if you have an english tracklist, I don't see the point in leaving a part of the tracktitle in romaji. And yeah, I know that some people don't ever translate singles or songs into english, but that's the reason why romaji tracklists exist.
I don't think I've ever seen famous english songs being translated in not-in-english songs
I'm sure songs like "thriller" (mj) or whatever never been translated in other languages, so why japanese songs should be an exception
just because people don't know the meaning?

a song like "yakusoku wa iranai" is easier to remember as romaji as translations which can differ according to a lot of sites/material (and translations can corrupt the original meaning)

Quote:
I don't honestly see what's wrong with that, I mean if you're doing a translation of some album's tracklist, the least you can do is to acquaint yourself with the information available on the net about the game/series/movie/whatever. It's the minimun required if you want to do a fine job in your translations.

For example, let's take "太陽神殿の崩壊" that previously was translated as "The Sun Temple Collapses" and I changed it for "Corona Temple's Destruction" and the reason why I did that was because Corona Temple is how this temple is named in the west. Another example if you like is "最終聖戦" previously translated as "Final Battle" and changed it for "The Last Holy War" What a surprise! What's the title of the movie of that album?
I know the series, I don't need a fan site translation to do it especially when fan site translations are often made by people thinking they can do translations (it's generally badly made, esp. wikipedia's)

it's just localization shit, like with pokemon etc.
it's often not a good idea to use localization because sometimes you completely lose the sense of the original tracknames

Quote:
And in the same vein, I've changed some tracktitles as "Sad Brothers" instead of "Sorrowful Brothers", or "Cosmo of Friendship" instead of "Friendly Cosmo" because the new translations don't add anything new to the old and way more widespread translations of the said tracks. I don't see translating as a fight of egos, and if I see an existing translation for a track which is accurate enough, then I'll stick to it.
new translations?
what the heck are talking about? it's nothing new, you just see that new because you referred my tracklist with sites using the same translation for years, as said above I don't need that to make my own translations

Quote:
I'm quite literal in my approach to translation, so if the original is バルムングの剣を求めて and it contains the kanji '剣' which literally means 'sword', the answer is obvious. I don't really mind that translation with or without the word 'sword', but the problem is that originally the tracktitle is バルムングのを求めて, one considers stupid or not.
it's not because the jap added it that you must make the same stupid error
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:35 PM
VGMdb Staff

Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdapi View Post
It's like you translate Ryu's Hadouken or Goku's Kame-hame-ha into english. I know "Metor Fist" is the english adaptation to the anime if I remember correctly but it seems to much forced

Quote:
First, I was using this image as reference, which is from the animex reprint of the 1988 album. In most of the cases, when there is hiragana or katakana written over kanji is to indicate the pronunciation, for that reason in the case of "聖闘士神話" I've translated as "Soldier Dream", and I know that is not exactly the meaning of the original tracktitle, but that's another discussion. Forced reading prevails over meaning of kanjis, that's how I see it.
It's the same of the classic album also on the Eternal Box we have "Saint Shinwa (Soldier Dream)(Instrumental)" to make difference to the vocal/arrange track by Broadway

Quote:
And one last thing, depa, if you have access to the booklets of those old albums, could you check if there is any information about the musicians who performed under the name of Andromeda Harmonic Orchestra. This scan is the only one that I've seen that contains information about the musicians of this legendary orchestra, and I'd like to know who performed under that 'Ad Hoc' orchestra. So, if you can provide better scans or images with better resolution to identify the performers, your help or any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hope I'll do soon

Last edited by depa; Jan 23, 2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:39 AM

my eternal box tracklist and credits are based on scans of eternal edition tracklists/credits btw
Old Jan 24, 2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
I don't think I've ever seen famous english songs being translated in not-in-english songs
I'm sure songs like "thriller" (mj) or whatever never been translated in other languages, so why japanese songs should be an exception

a song like "yakusoku wa iranai" is easier to remember as romaji as translations which can differ according to a lot of sites/material (and translations can corrupt the original meaning)
But wait, why are songs so different than BGM? We translate instrumental score titles, why not translate the stuff with singing too?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
so why did you venture to change existing translations? and I will revert it
What's life without a little risk, but seriously, I just wanted to fix some inconsistencies in those tracklists. I'm not planning to touch your eternal box tracklist if that's bothering you, but I was thinking to add a romaji tracklist for that album.

Quote:
it's not simply a word or a sentence in some dialogues, no it's the name of an attack (or attacks)
To tell the truth, I've never seen an episode of Saint Seiya dubbed into english, so I don't really know if they translated those attacks into english or left them in romaji. But it turns out that the second episode of the TV series has the title "Burn! Meteor punch of Pegasus", so I'm guessing they translated the fighting techniques of all saints into english, not just romaji.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that those techniques have names in english, and I repeat they're not fan translations. So, why do we have to put romaji terms into an English tracklist if those terms have its equivalents in english. I can understand you prefer the romaji terms over the english translations, but I don't see the point in having a romaji tracklist and an english tracklist if they're showing the same. And those techniques aren't a proper name, they have a literal meaning and that's a valid reason to translate them into english.

Quote:

I wouldn't be so sure about that, there are some albums such as this (track 8) or this (a buch of tracks) that contain famous 'occidental' songs whose tracktitles are given in japanese. So, this is not just a thing that only concerns japanese songs, I'm afraid that all around the world is the same.

Well, it's your opinion that romaji tracklists are easier to remember, but that's not a fact, and it's not even relevant for the matter. Yeah, translations can corrupt the original meaning, the same way that romaji transcriptions can corrupt the original meaning because if you're taking as original source a tracktitle written in kanji, you'll know that some kanjis can be read in more than one way and if you don't have furigana written over them you can't be 100% sure that the reading you're assigning them is the reading that it was intended.

Uncertainty and differences about how a track should be romanized or translated are the same, you choose to leave it in romaji or to translate it into english. But, hey, we'll always have the original japanese tracklists (original meaning 100% guaranteed!)

Quote:
I know the series, I don't need a fan site translation to do it especially when fan site translations are often made by people thinking they can do translations (it's generally badly made, esp. wikipedia's)

it's just localization shit, like with pokemon etc.
it's often not a good idea to use localization because sometimes you completely lose the sense of the original tracknames
I've seen this series too and I don't remember every detail of the Saint Seiya universe, so if I have doubts on a specific term I look for Saint Seiya sites. Of course you don't have to take as true everything they publish in those wikis, I don't, but if there are more sources (not related between them) supporting whatever information you're searching for, then I think it's safe to assume that said information is true.

And now, the core point of my reasoning. The whole reason of translating into english a tracklist is to offer to an english speaking or understanding audience a tracklist that this audience can relate to. It's not use, no matter how faithful your translated tracklist is with respect to the original meaning, if the target audience can't relate to it. Sure, anyone can do his own tracklist translation, but if you want to do one with which people can relate to, you'll have to rely on localization and terms that may be substantially different from the original ones.

If you're doing an english tracklist is natural to stick to terms used in the english version of the show, to use them as references, and if you want to see intact the original meaning of the tracktitles, stay with the original jap. tracklist, as easy as that.

Quote:
it's not because the jap added it that you must make the same stupid error
Wait, I thought that you wanted to preserve the sense of the original tracknames, is this so or I get it wrong?

At the end, it all comes down to personal preferences, so if you don't like my edits for whatever reason I give you my permission to do what you see fit.

Last edited by isdapi; Jan 24, 2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 09:58 PM

if you respect the meaning of "Sword of Balmung", it gives "Sword of a Sword"
dare to say me it has sense
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
But wait, why are songs so different than BGM? We translate instrumental score titles, why not translate the stuff with singing too?
Yeah, I'm going to ignore the rest of the debate, since I have no place in it anyway, but this... seriously, why wouldn't we translate the name of a song like we always do on this site. I'm perplexed by this. In fact, that distinction you're making, _if, doesn't even exist - "songs" aren't any different than "BGM", "BGM" is just as much a "song" as any other "song" (and I don't mean to attack you by this, I mean to further argue the same point). So what's the criteria for not translating - that the song has lyrics? That it's a certain genre? I'm not seeing the rationale. We can use this same argument to say that any song, BGM or otherwise, shouldn't be translated "just because people don't know the meaning" of the Japanese, because it was written in Japanese originally and intended to be in Japanese. Then why are we translating anything? It's a poor argument.

If a word is a name, then obviously, don't translate it. But barring that, the title of a song written in Japanese has a meaning in English just like any other song, BGM or not. Or do you think that when they write Suteki da ne, they aren't asking "Isn't it lovely?" You think they're writing those words for the sake of writing Japanese characters? No, those words have a meaning. We should discover that meaning in our language like the meaning of any other song name. "Suteki da ne" doesn't mean "Suteki da ne" and so it doesn't belong in an English tracklist whose point is to discover what the Japanese words mean. If not, then otherwise again, why are we translating anything.

Also, if you're going to argue that it's the song's name: yes, it is, just like every single song on this database that we have a translation for. Track 5 in Alundra is named 悪夢 and so we shouldn't translate it as nightmare "just because people don't know the meaning" of Akumu, so let's just leave it like Akumu because that's the song's name. Then at that point let's just romaji everything.

I don't mean to be belligerent, but there really isn't a good reason to keep things that have a meaning in English in romaji, unless it's a name or Japanese term (good reading on that).

Last edited by SimonJXZ; Jan 25, 2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:58 AM

if one follows what you said, why not translating album titles and products too since it has a meaning (meanings)

and while we're at it, why not replacing yen price by an english equivalent
after all it's only for japanese people not english people paying in dollars etc.

(warn me the day it happens in order to quit using the site)
Old Jan 25, 2014, 01:20 AM

Okay then, feel free to lay out the criteria of when a song name gets translated versus when it doesn't. Because right now, we have:
  • "Famous" songs not being translated
    - What's "famous"? 1,000,000 people liked it? 50,000 people put it on their iPods? You might as well try to determine how many trees are in a forest before you determine when something's "famous".
  • The romaji being "easier to remember" than a translated name
    - "Easier" for who? You?
  • Translations can vary
    - This goes for any translated thing
  • The translation can corrupt the original meaning
    - This goes for any translated thing
So basically, one extremely loose criterion of when not to translate, and then three excuses not to translate anything at all. We don't have a lot of information right now. Also, we don't have reasoning either. You want to keep the names of "famous" songs in romaji. Why? You have my reasoning as to why they should be translated. Now why would you keep them in Japanese instead?

Here are some honest questions for you (no smart-ass rhetorical ones just to prove a point): are you against English tracklists altogether? Would you rather everything be a romaji tracklist? Because the purpose of an English tracklist is to write out the meanings of the Japanese song names. When we stop doing that for a certain type of song, when do we then stretch the rationale we used there to stop translating names of all types of songs?

As for the money thing, that's a terrible counter argument as it's completely irrelevant to what we're discussing, which is when to translate the name of a song. It's apples and oranges.

Last edited by SimonJXZ; Jan 25, 2014 at 01:36 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 03:02 AM

you have won, I'm pissed off
I removed all my "saint seiya eternal xxx" english tracklists
and from now, I stop submitting english tracklists (maybe other tracklists too)

maybe I should remove all my english tracklists
Old Jan 25, 2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
you have won, I'm pissed off
I removed all my "saint seiya eternal xxx" english tracklists
and from now, I stop submitting english tracklists (maybe other tracklists too)

maybe I should remove all my english tracklists
You're overreacting, there is no need to do that. I don't think that nobody here wants you stop submitting english tracklists, or contributing on vgmdb as you see fit.

But you can't expect to say things like
Quote:
, don't add a single explanation why you feel thay way, and that people don't reply to that.

Each translator has its own way of doing things, and no approach is better than the other. The only thing I want to know about your translation approach is:

1. Why do you insist in including romaji terms in an english tracklist when there are alternatives of said terms in english?

Quote:
if you respect the meaning of "Sword of Balmung", it gives "Sword of a Sword"
dare to say me it has sense
I don't know if Balmung means "sword" in some scandinavian language if that's what you're referring to. I think that Balmung is a proper noun and as such shouldn't be translated. I can understand that the term "Sword of Balmung" seems to you redundant, but maybe other people whose knowledge of the Norse mythology is limited, maybe they don't know that Balmung is the name of a sword and you don't have the right to presume that everyone knows something, no matter how obvious it is to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by depa View Post
It's like you translate Ryu's Hadouken or Goku's Kame-hame-ha into english. I know "Metor Fist" is the english adaptation to the anime if I remember correctly but it seems to much forced
I know that some anime fighting techniques are more known in the west by their romaji forms. I don't know the case of Saint Seiya, I don't know if Meteor Fist is more widespread in the west than Ryuseiken or the other way around. I propose you something, if you're capable of showing me that "Ryuseiken" is more widespread in the english audience than "Meteor Fist", I'll change it back (the same for the other fighting technique names)

And yes, please, make those scans real, I'm dying to see musician credits of these legendary albums.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 06:50 AM
Trusted Editor

Songs should be also translated, and I think album titles also should be translated (but put the translations as fourth or fifth entry on the album title.

And the translation for バルムングの剣を求めて would probably work better if it would be "Searching the Sword Balmung", or something like that?

Also, coe, stop being such a dramaqueen about people disagreeing you and doing silly threats and actions. You really do look like a child with those actions.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 07:25 AM

no no it's not a threat, I think I'll ask SS for a complete deletion of my english tracklists
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonJXZ View Post
Yeah, I'm going to ignore the rest of the debate, since I have no place in it anyway, but this... seriously, why wouldn't we translate the name of a song like we always do on this site. I'm perplexed by this. In fact, that distinction you're making, _if, doesn't even exist - "songs" aren't any different than "BGM", "BGM" is just as much a "song" as any other "song" (and I don't mean to attack you by this, I mean to further argue the same point).
The reason I used different terms for "song" and "score" is because, by the dictionary definition, a song must have singing and some definitions require lyrics as well. I know people very often refer to any piece of music as a song, but technically instrumental ones are not. I probably stick to this to an impractical degree, but it's one of my quirks.

Phonograph, why do you want to remove all your previous work? Did something in this discussion fundamentally alter your perspective about having or creating English translations here? I'm sure nobody would say your English tracklist submissions are worthless or something similarly bad. Certainly nobody wants you to stop contributing or for your previous efforts go to waste. Your knowledge is very helpful to the community at large and your work on the site is one of the things that keeps it running smoothly.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _if View Post
The reason I used different terms for "song" and "score" is because, by the dictionary definition, a song must have singing and some definitions require lyrics as well.
Wow, I was totally wrong here. I just looked it up and you're right. The term I'm thinking of, obviously, is music. Thanks for taking me to school on this one

Phonograph, what do I win? I'm just trying to get you to explain things. Right now I really don't have a lot of information from you - when to translate, when not to translate, and most importantly, why. Like I and others have said, you can't just say to do things and not give any reasons why. That's... not how anything in the world works, not just VGMdb. If you have valid arguments as to why we should not translate certain things, please supply them.

And certainly, you shouldn't remove your English tracklists just because you can't have your exact way with them. I'd love to translate ludicrous stuff like Theme of Adoru into Theme of Adol, but I don't refuse to edit here just because I can't. Likewise, if most people agreed that song names shouldn't be translated, I wouldn't want to quit for that reason either.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I think I'll ask SS for a complete deletion of my english tracklists
Sorry but I don't know why he would humor this. Obviously I'm not Secret Squirrel. But if I made edits at Wikipedia, got disgruntled by something trivial and asked an administrator to remove all my edits, I think we all know what the answer would be there. You act like the information you've supplied to this database is your property or something, telling people not to touch "your" tracklists and then deleting them when you get upset over something very silly. Honestly, it's immature.

Also, if you're the kind of person that's going to have a good point brought against them and then ragequit and delete his stuff, you're a liability. I don't think you should be given privileges to delete material if you're going to abuse it to satisfy some silly defeatist reaction. That's harmful to the database, and on a certain level even vandalism.

I don't dislike you, and you've done great work for VGMdb obviously, but you need to learn how to exist in the world with other people. If all it takes is for someone to come along with a different opinion of how to do things than yours for you to want to lash out like this, you have some serious growing up to do, the world is just not like that. You can't have your perfect little way because your opinion on how to do things is right, so you'd rather just say screw everyone? Make your own database then, you can have your way there, and let us know how it turns out because it won't be nearly as widespread or successful as this one. This is a database of many opinions, learn how to discuss yours with others like an adult, not act out when you don't unconditionally get your way.

Last edited by Mortavia; Jan 25, 2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 04:51 PM

my english translations aren't my property?
that's the reason why I stop that, if I have no control/right over my own work so there is no reason I continue
I hate when people allow themselves to touch anything especially when they are beginners (if it was someone like Dag, I wouldn't mind)

and that's not something new, it makes months I think about deleting my english tracklists and that thread helped me
Old Jan 25, 2014, 05:44 PM
Trusted Editor

So, people can't fix your translations if there's errors on there, or make them work better in english? That sounds just absurd and silly.

Also, if beginners couldn't 'touch' stuff, how they would even learn stuff?

And in the end, you really should get your pride, ego and attitude fixed. And that comes from someone who has slight problems in all those three categories.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 05:50 PM

nobody's perfect
Old Jan 25, 2014, 07:51 PM

Phonograph can make any changes he wants to other people's translations, but nobody can change his. And since he has announced that he's not perfect, it's okay, he has an excuse. Maybe next people will follow suit when they get angry at someone else having a differing opinion and remove everything they did, then there won't be anything left on VGMdb. And when they do that they can just say they're not perfect and it'll be okay.

Please, really.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 07:56 PM

when did you see me editing an english tracklist for the last time?

you can like count with your fingers the number of times I made some changes
I often said I don't like to edit other's english tracklist and I even ask on irc or forums why it could change so don't assume things

Last edited by Phonograph; Jan 25, 2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 01:39 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
I don't know if Balmung means "sword" in some scandinavian language if that's what you're referring to. I think that Balmung is a proper noun and as such shouldn't be translated. I can understand that the term "Sword of Balmung" seems to you redundant, but maybe other people whose knowledge of the Norse mythology is limited, maybe they don't know that Balmung is the name of a sword and you don't have the right to presume that everyone knows something, no matter how obvious it is to you.
Balmung in Norway means "siegfried's sword". In my opinion the real problem is the original tracklist... japanese knowledge of west culture has tons and tons of historical errors, geography location ecc.. you can't imagine and you can see everywhere (videogames, comics..).
So should we report the original error of the japanese tracklist "search for a sword of -a sword-" or "search for Balmung" that seems a correct interpretation? I can say here in Italy Saint Seiya is still popular and it's still on TV after about 30 years; the original adaptation we have is "La spada di Balmung" ("the sword of Balbum" translate from italian) but we have also (not from Saint Seiya) the adaptation "sword of Excalibur" and I think you can find everywhere these historical incongruence. So the QUESTION is: do we make a translation for the ignorant mass (like japanese have done) or a cultural translation? Where's the border?

Quote:
I know that some anime fighting techniques are more known in the west by their romaji forms. I don't know the case of Saint Seiya, I don't know if Meteor Fist is more widespread in the west than Ryuseiken or the other way around. I propose you something, if you're capable of showing me that "Ryuseiken" is more widespread in the english audience than "Meteor Fist", I'll change it back (the same for the other fighting technique names)
Anime fighting techniques were translated everywhere unfortunately. There are some exception, for example here in Italy in the Street Fighter anime famous techniques like Hadouken, Shoryuken, ecc.. were mantained in their original romaji forms due probably to the famous game where guys learned very well which is is an Hadouken, ecc... but it's an isolate case.

Quote:
And yes, please, make those scans real, I'm dying to see musician credits of these legendary albums.
The problem is my f.....g Epson scanner. If I try to put the border of something I want to scan near the border of the scanner area, it cuts a millimeter from the horizontal and vertical side and the image is incomplete. And I have to use something like a rules to put the border of the scanner but obviously all scanning are slow since I have to push what I want to scan to prevent movements during scanning. Is it possible are there technologies that straighten scans automatically?

about what I think of original japanese songs translated into english I'll do soon...

Last edited by depa; Jan 28, 2014 at 02:01 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 02:10 AM

Just to let you know, that's not your particular scanner, or even because it's an Epson. I've used three different brands of scanners, two dedicated scanners and an all-in-one, and they've all behaved that way. I think most scanners probably don't scan right up against the edges. It's a pain. You get good with those rulers