VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:54 AM

Default Buying Imports from Amazon. Good/Bad?

I used to grab "import" soundtracks from local comic book stores. After I joined VGMdb, it turned out these stores dealt exclusively in bootlegs, so the other day I bought my first CD using the information provided here to make sure it was a legitimate copy. But I didn't get it from Play-Asia or CDJapan: I tested my luck with a seller on Amazon, who were selling a copy of the CD with "[IMPORT]" in the listing title and some promising liner info.

When the CD arrived, it was in pristine condition and had ALL of the expected and proper copyright marks and materials. So my question is, aside from a slightly higher price tag, are there any drawbacks to purchasing from Amazon rather than grabbing an import directly from Play-Asia or CDJapan?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:55 AM

Aside from the insanely high prices, I'd say it's probably safe as long as it's a listing like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Biohazard-Resi...9639746&sr=1-2

Clearly marked as an import, label info lists a legit Japanese publisher (in this case, Suleputer), and your order will be shipped and/or fulfilled by Amazon. If a listing meets all three of those, you're pretty much safe. Anything less and you're taking a risk. The "fulfilled by Amazon" is the most important part because if you do get a bootleg, you can simply return it for a full refund due to their "product received did not match product listing" return policy.

Also interesting to note with that particular listing is that the ASIN (B000Y3JG44) matches the one on Amazon.co.jp's product page, so that might be another thing to check.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:34 PM

I list on Amazon, and clearly mention "original X-published, (catalog)" or whatever. You can always email the seller and simply ask for the catalog number if you're weary. And yes, there's plenty who sell boots on there, often without realizing it.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:53 PM

Hi, Mike. Glad to hear it's not impossible to get good imports from Amazon. This is the listing I bought:

Legend of Mana: Ost

It was fulfilled by Amazon (if not sold by, I'm not sure), was listed as an import, and published by "Square Soft." I wasn't able to check the ASIN. After I received it I checked all the copy info and uploaded some user images to hopefully help other buyers.