VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:06 PM

I added composer credits (Tsukasa Masuko composed about 98% of this soundtrack, but as far as I can tell, he was uncredited on the album) in the Notes section. 2-29 seems to use bits and pieces of Title Demo from Shin Megami Tensei II, but I decided to give composer credit to Tsuchiya because only a few notes were used.

I also updated the tracklist to be more consistent with the terminology from the game. "Makai" should never be translated (I often see it translated as "Hell"). At least, not in the case of the first two games.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 01:55 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Changed "Majin" to "Fiend" since that's how it goes officially.
Also I disagree about "Makai", that tells nothing to the reader while I think "Hell" (or Underworld/Demon World/etc if you really need to avoid Christian implications) acceptably gives the idea of a 'world where demons live'. It's not a concept exclusive to the Japanese so no reason to use their Japanese word, imo.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 04:21 AM
VGMdb Administrator

In the English language versions, is it called "Makai" or "Hell"?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 10:40 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I don't think the term Makai/Hell was used in any of the games released in the US. In the fan translation of SMT1/2 it was called Makai, but they left a lot of terms in Japanese, often differing from official names (ex Majin/Fiend)
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:22 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Does anyone else have some thoughts on Makai vs Hell? If not, then we should probably just go with Hell.

Note though that WWJDICT give "World of Spirits" as the first definition and "Hell" as a second one. If accurate, this has a different connotation, so it's up to gameplay interpretation.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:44 AM

If the note is correct, shouldn't SNE go away but Xbox stay here?