VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:35 AM

Changed “Music Collection” (音楽集 Ongakushu) to “Music Compilation” (音楽篇 Ongakuhen).

I think VGMdb should normalize these terms. For instance if we do a search for the term ”音楽集” on VGMdb the results will be: Ongakushu, Ongaku-shu, Ongaku Shu or Music Collection… so, what should we use?

And if we search for “音楽編” the results will be: Ongakuhen, ongaku-hen, ongaku Hen, BGM, Music Collection (which it’s a term already in use for 音楽集 in VGMdb), Music Edition, Music Compilation or simply omitted… … what should we use?

Last edited by newsblade; Jul 21, 2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:44 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think Music Collection (and Music Compilation) are what should be in the display titles. The romaji line should have the romaji equivalent. I usually use Ongakushu, but I honestly don't know if which of the three romaji choices you gave is more correct (or more in-line with our romanization scheme.)
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:11 AM

I tend to think ongakushu and ongakuhen shouldn't be translated, but when ongakushu can be music collection, ongakuhen isn't that obvious
music compilation is indeed a good alternative face to music collection (in order to make the distinction between "shu" and "hen")

on another note, I'd prefer to use "ongaku hen" (not stuck) because "hen" used in tracknames is generally not stuck with its preceding noun
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:14 AM

Thank-you.
Anyway, I think the staff should make some guideline regarding to this. Normalization is very important.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:20 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
on another note, I'd prefer to use "ongaku hen" (not stuck) because "hen" used in tracknames is generally not stuck with its preceding noun
That's a different context, though. 篇 in ongakuhen means "compilation" whereas 篇 in tracknames usually means "chapter" or "version" instead.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:53 AM

ah yeah, there is that other hen too