VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > News and Announcements
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 6, 2007, 08:50 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Default Album discussions: putting the forum to good use

Some of you should have noticed the Album Discussions subforum by now; that's the designated place for album-specific postings, whether to explain or dispute an edit, or just general commentary on album attributes, tracks, artists, stuff like that.

I've finished integrating the VGMdb interface with this forum, and you should be able to see the big fat link to the bottom right of each album viewing page which either brings you to the submission form if it's a new discussion, or to an existing one. You can also post messages to the discussion thread when you edit an album, via the message box just below the submit button. You will never need to create a thread manually; the system detects if a thread exists and either creates it or appends your message to the current one. (It will also create a new thread if the old one is moved, deleted or closed). Of course, you can reply to existing threads normally through the forum.

Now that we're getting quite an increase in submission activity, it'd be great if everyone makes extensive use of this feature to update each other of changes, post information sources, request clarification, and so on. Let's work together!

Note that you can still use the parent VGM discussion forum for more general topics.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 01:09 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Will this be used for reviews as well, or do you have plans to do something else with reviews in the future?
Old Dec 7, 2007, 03:18 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think reviews will have to be done a differently, at the very least having their own subforum.

The big question will be whether we delve into full-blown official reviews, with a formal editing process, or we stick with something more informal like a seperate comments section, or if we just let people add reviews to the album discussion threads as they chose to, and drop the idea of a seperate reviews page alltogether.

I'm not sure exactly which path we're going to chose, but I will add that we have a lot of stuff on our plate already, and that if we take on the task of providing the public with official reviews, then we are kind of starting to move into areas that compete with all the other sites with whom we are currently working in harmony.

On-topic, I really hope people start using the comments section to cite some of their sources, especially if they are making major changes to albums that are already in a polished state.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:03 AM
VGMdb Staff

I like the way this kills two birds with one stone, taking care of the "sources" issue while providing a venue for album discussion.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 08:33 PM

Can you implement the go back to the database file from the specific album discussion page?
Old Dec 8, 2007, 09:02 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The post title of the first post in each discussion thread will now link back to the album page. I might embed extra album details later on. Enjoy~
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:34 AM
VGMdb Staff

I'm thinking it could be useful if - in an entry for which a thread has already been made - people viewing such an entry could somehow be made aware of that fact. As, presumably, if someone is interested enough in a certain album to check its entry there's a good chance that they'd be interested in any additional info the thread might bring. And as it is now, at least I tend not to click the "Discuss this album" link unless I intend to make a mention of something myself.

That said, I'm not sure what could be done to catch people attention, but it might be worth thinking about.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 01:26 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
I'm thinking it could be useful if - in an entry for which a thread has already been made - people viewing such an entry could somehow be made aware of that fact. As, presumably, if someone is interested enough in a certain album to check its entry there's a good chance that they'd be interested in any additional info the thread might bring. And as it is now, at least I tend not to click the "Discuss this album" link unless I intend to make a mention of something myself.

That said, I'm not sure what could be done to catch people attention, but it might be worth thinking about.
Agreed with you there; knowing discussion existed at a glance would make me more likely to check out the corresponding thread.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 08:00 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think what you'd like to see is an indicator that says something like "4 posts in the discussion" on the album page near the discuss button. I don't know much about the forum plugin, but I'm guessing that this should be possible.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 04:55 AM
VGMdb Staff

Yeah, something like that should do the trick. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something that'll bring your attention to the fact.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 03:33 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I think this is a good idea. It would nice to have a post count indicator.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:07 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I put a simple message below the discussion links, which lets the viewer know how many comments are in the discussion thread.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 04:12 AM
VGMdb Staff

Looks good.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 09:33 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Indeed. Much appreciated!