VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:23 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah ,the discussion on titles hasn't been resolved yet. We might have to revisit what's in the album-submit help to see if anything there is wrong.

I think (and I could be wrong) that we had come to a conclusion that if there was a title in English title on the album, then it always takes precedence.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:26 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Title renamed as per the Album Title notes (line 1) "If the game has an official english name, you may use it instead of the romanized Japanese name (Art of Fighting instead of Ryouko no Ken).".
Wow, the notes are absolutely outdated, especially that part.
We don't even have "Art of Fighting" for the albums so this is a very bad example. I have been battling for the title guideline, but seems like we'll never agree all together.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:50 AM

maybe if the lines (left of textarea) had some little description, for example

line 1: display (partial en/romaji) <-- edit: I don't mean using localized titles btw *
line 2: original (jp)
line 3: romaji (all in romaji)

as for line 4: other, I don't know what kind of 4th title an album could have if you already filled in english (display), japanese (original) and romaji titles

*: because we could have things like "Final Fantasy Adventure Original Sound Version"
but we could have something like "... Music Collection" in line 1 and "... Ongakushu" in line 3

Last edited by Phonograph; Apr 4, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 08:36 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
I hate to dig this old argument up, but putting an English title in line 1 when it literally is not present on a single part of this album doesn't really make much sense.
The bottom line is that the rules are the rules until they are changed, not any time before. I understand your reasoning just fine. However, I think Romaji titles are atrocious. You've seen my posts in the Album Title thread. As soon as SS/Blah decide to act on our feedback and set forth a new standard, we need to stick to our current one.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 08:38 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I think (and I could be wrong) that we had come to a conclusion that if there was a title in English title on the album, then it always takes precedence.
If this is the case, it needs to be in the notes. I certainly don't have time to search the forum for the rules. If you need help in revamping the notes, I'm sure we can help out.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
The bottom line is that the rules are the rules until they are changed, not any time before.
Quote:
I certainly don't have time to search the forum for the rules.
Both good points, and I wasn't going to change it right back or anything. I just thought I'd point that out to you. Right now the whole issue still needs the finishing touches, and so I'm not changing any album titles myself nor am I reverting anyone else's changes, unless there's not much to debate about the change, like if it's a capitalization thing or something.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Both good points, and I wasn't going to change it right back or anything. I just thought I'd point that out to you. Right now the whole issue still needs the finishing touches, and so I'm not changing any album titles myself nor am I reverting anyone else's changes, unless there's not much to debate about the change, like if it's a capitalization thing or something.
Yeah it's fine and I wouldn't fight you on it if you did change it back. Honestly, we just need to come to a consensus. We've been mulling this over for like two years now. My opinion is that we should decide based on some combination of vote and executive decision, and to do it very soon (within the month). However, I'm not an admin, and I don't have that power.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
However, I'm not an admin, and I don't have that power.
I'd rather you to write some codes to change the system. It's ultimately the system's fault and we've waited until multi-language conversion arrives, but it'd require a large amount of labor, apparently.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:22 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I'd rather you to write some codes to change the system. It's ultimately the system's fault and we've waited until multi-language conversion arrives, but it'd require a large amount of labor, apparently.
And I recall the only reason we can't make the site's code open source is because so much of it ties into vB. If it were open source, development would probably be a lot easier. Nevertheless, there are people like myself who can code and could contribute to any new processes. I'm sure I could help out a little bit.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:41 AM

It is not our place to "correct" or "change" anything for the sake of "clarity". At best, such things could be left in the notes. The products feature is going to help this greatly and maybe I'll finally be rid of this search-only nonsense.

Quote:
As soon as SS/Blah decide to act on our feedback and set forth a new standard, we need to stick to our current one.
The thing is that we really don't have a standard. I seriously doubt many of the albums here match up with the "official rules", if the album editor is anything to go by. Most user contributed sites are like this, even Wikipedia. I question whether this can be stopped.

Quote:
However, I think Romaji titles are atrocious. You've seen my posts in the Album Title thread.
I know using a title that has very little to do with this album and is nowhere to be found is completely pointless, and that's just for the "search-only" localized title that I've been asked to put on everything. So the idea of using what is pretty much a fake title as the display title, the title that everyone should be using, is plain ridiculous. In fact, I take back what I said some time ago; not even "Castlevania: Lament of Innocence Original Soundtrack" is safe.

(And for the record, no, I don't like using this as the display title either, but it's not too bad.)

Last edited by Despatche; Apr 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 09:31 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

And your points are exactly why I proposed using an objective system like the one I mentioned in the album title discussion thread:

http://vgmdb.net/forums/showpost.php...&postcount=191

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Apr 5, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 01:16 AM

Can somebody help me to understand 大厳? I'm not quite sure how we're getting "monolith". Err well, I think I know how we're getting it, but... it's not right. The character is 厳, not 巌. They look extremely similar, but 厳 is gen, and it means strict/stern. 巌 is gan, and it means rock. But track 16 doesn't use gan, it uses gen. If it were gan, we could say it's a "large rock" which, sure, a monolith is a large rock. But... the words aren't exactly interchangeable, are they?

Honestly, the compound 大厳 makes no sense to me. 焦土の大厳... "The scorched earth's big stern"...? I'd love somebody's wisdom right now!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 05:20 AM

Hmm, I've got it tagged in English as "The Rigor of the Scorched Land". It may not be a completely direct translation, but I think it gets the meaning across.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 08:09 PM

I guess that's as good as it will get. I think half of my problem with any translation of this track is that the original phrase sort of already doesn't make sense. I don't think that "strict" is a good way to describe a place. It seems weird to me that somebody would say that a place "has rigor". Yet that's sort of what the characters are saying. When I think of a place, maybe I'd describe it as "harsh". Which is a loose synonym for "rigor" I guess. Then my problem is that it's not just 厳, it's 大厳... does that mean "really harsh"? I think it's just something that doesn't translate well from Japanese to English... different cultures and all that.

I would suggest something like "The Harsh Scorched Earth", but I'm not sure that's any better than what you've come up with.
Old May 18, 2015, 01:56 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I noticed track 1.18 has a click around 0:42 (which the second loop and game lacks).
I checked the castlebox version (15.09) and it's the same. Nooo...!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:26 PM

Usually I'm not a huge Yamane fan, but this soundtrack is damn good. It definitely pleases the old school Castlevania fan in me.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
Usually I'm not a huge Yamane fan, but this soundtrack is damn good. It definitely pleases the old school Castlevania fan in me.
Yes, it is very good. It's also the only Konami album that approaches Goemon caliber prices. One can pick up every Konami Battle album and have some change for the cost of this.

The mediocre arrangements at the end of the album remind me of Konami's experiment with Contra Spirits and Axelay, in which they tacked on some MIDI arrangements at the end of the albums. I still wonder whether that happened due to budget constraints or if it was just an experiment. I'd say more likely budget constraints if one looks at a little trend:

Xexex (1/21/92) - Very high quality arrangements at end. Superior.
Salamander ~Again~ (3/25/92) - Very good arrangements, not at same level as Xexex though.
Contra Spirits (8/21/92) - WTF?
Axelay (10/21/92) - WTF?

All four of those albums had arrangements at the end and the quality decreased with time. The last two probably made things easier on the budget and may have led to the MIDI Power Pro albums.

I'd say that the "arrangements" at the end of Order of Ecclesia might be budget related. It would've been nicer had they hired a band or an orchestra or made MIDI on the level of the MIDI Power Pro albums.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 04:56 PM

Does anyone really listen to this a lot? It's rare and has beautiful cover art, but listening to it on sound test hasn't inspired me to cop a cd.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1 View Post
Does anyone really listen to this a lot? It's rare and has beautiful cover art, but listening to it on sound test hasn't inspired me to cop a cd.
I only have the mini-sampler myself. I haven't heard the entire thing yet, but I at least wanted "Sorrow's Distortion" on disc. I'll boast about that track all day long.

But yeah, real shame the album is so limited.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:08 AM

This is among my favorite Castlevania OST. Most of my favorite songs can be found on other games, but OoT's soundtrack as a whole is incredible. The arrangement of Requiem of a Starlit Night in Akumajo Dracula Tribute Vol. 2 is one of my favorite VGM tracks ever.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 07:21 AM

How rare is this one exactly? I remember it being a Konamistyle limited preorder, which was given only in bundle with all the paraphernalia (the awesome cel poster, the cool leather agenda which I managed to get signed by Ms. Yamane at the Stockholm concert, and so on).

So ok, limited konamistyle and after that, it never got a commercial release. Fine, but how much circulation do you speculate a ltd. Konamistyle has? Surely prices are insane these days, must becoming one of the highest priced CV related items around.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 08:04 PM

I don't think it's super rare; there are usually 1-2 copies floating around Yahoo at all times, and they sell too, sometimes. Seems like it's 15 to 25,000¥ at the moment.

I'd say it's a combination of it being only available on Konamistyle (only with the limited bundle, not even as a separate item!) and the fact that the game and the music are good... better than the previous episodes (OK, that's kind of personal).

No idea, but maybe 5,000 copies, or even more? I have the feeling many people have it, most Castlevania fans and collectors certainly do. 50 people have it according to VGMdb, which is a very large amount of people. Crazy rarities/obscure albums are usually owned by much fewer people, as far as this site is concerned at least.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:37 PM

I love this OST very much. Both the music and the artwork are very enjoyable. I see Order of Ecclesia as the last Castlevania game and it was one of the best Igavanias. It was the hardest Castlevania on DS, with an interesting main character and beautiful music. For me, this is a jewel.

Can someone help us get English translation of liner notes/commentaries in the booklet? It would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:54 PM

Is there a reason "Akumajo-Dracula" is hyphenated for this entry? It's not like that on any of the other Castlevania albums.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:00 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Because that's how it's printed in English on the front cover and tray. Uncapitalized "kokuin" as well.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Because that's how it's printed in English on the front cover and tray. Uncapitalized "kokuin" as well.
Ah, right you are. Didn't notice that tiny print.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 06:16 AM

Konami added a bunch of digital albums to Amazon recently and this one is probably the biggest deal considering how rare the CD album is: https://www.amazon.co.jp/悪魔城ドラキュラ-奪わ...dp/B07QDYXPDV/
Old Apr 18, 2021, 03:37 PM

I'm not really sure why they called it Cantus Montetten on the digital releases. As far as I can tell "montetten" seems to be an incorrect spelling of "Motetten" (which is how it was spelled in the Sound Mode) which would simply be the German spelling of "motet."