VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 18, 2018, 09:42 AM

Apparently the audio glitch from that first pressing of the 2013 remaster on Dancing Calcabrina reprises here, says one of the AmazonJP reviews. Yikes.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 02:44 AM

That... is... quite embarassing. Way to go, Square Enix!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 04:12 AM

Which is especially odd given they fixed it at the time.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:12 PM

Yeah, I don't know how that happened. My copy comes in later today so I guess I'll be able to review in-person shortly.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 04:57 AM

I wonder if he means that only the mp3s on the disc might have this error? On the BluRay-Content, they most likely have visuals again playing along to the music and they somehow managed to time the visuals to a music track with the first seconds missing - without noticing???

Well, everything is possible I guess.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 02:05 PM

So, both the BluRay video itself and the included mp3 file have the first few seconds missing per the 2013 remaster first pressing. I'm not sure if they mixed up the masters or what, but it's pretty obvious.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 03:01 PM
Trusted Editor

I wonder if SQEX will do a replacement like they did with the CD version. I’m guessing not... we’ll see.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancey View Post
I wonder if SQEX will do a replacement like they did with the CD version. I’m guessing not... we’ll see.
As it's currently unavailable for purchase on both estore and amazon, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibilities that they're tackling the issue right now, to prevent the defect disks from spreading further and quite possibly to work out a replacement program.
But yes, we'll see ^^;

Last edited by Alcahest; Oct 21, 2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 07:30 AM

Here we go:
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/s...f_revival/FF4/
Hoping CDJ will lend a hand as they've done in the past.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:09 AM

I noticed they just updated their status page on this issue. They said they would allow you to either update the disc online, or trade it in for a new one. How can they update a disc online!? I'm guessing it's just a fixed mp3 copy? Didn't the video file also have the same problem? I haven't bought this yet because I was waiting for this to be resolved.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 08:06 AM
Trusted Editor

Sony Musics official response for replacement discs is for Japanese customers only, they probably don't want to deal with international shipping. International customers are being directed to use the network patch option. I've asked CDJ if I ship the disc back to them (CDJ), if they will do the replacement process for me. I'll obviously have to pay for whatever shipping costs it would require (shipping back to CDJ, shipping back to me once replacement disc is received), unless they're willing to just toss it in the next package I order.

Best case scenario is it all works out and I can get a replacement disc. Worst case scenario I just repurchase it and confirm that I can purchase a fixed disc once the issue is settled.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 08:55 AM

Yeah, CDJ's waiting for feedback from Sony Music regarding replacements for those whose bluray player doesn't have an update feature (ie: physical disk exchange).
I told them to rather check with SQEX directly, as that's who they dealt with the 2 previous times they've handled replacements for customers abroad (SQEX-10469 & SQEX-10373).
Let's see where it goes from there..
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:13 AM

So, are there any differences between this and the 2013 Remastered Version or is is basically the same? Audio quality wise?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 09:05 AM

I haven't done any thorough analysis, but my initial listens have me pretty sure it's just the 2013 remaster; I imagine FFV and VI will be the same.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Sony Musics official response for replacement discs is for Japanese customers only, they probably don't want to deal with international shipping. International customers are being directed to use the network patch option. I've asked CDJ if I ship the disc back to them (CDJ), if they will do the replacement process for me. I'll obviously have to pay for whatever shipping costs it would require (shipping back to CDJ, shipping back to me once replacement disc is received), unless they're willing to just toss it in the next package I order.

Best case scenario is it all works out and I can get a replacement disc. Worst case scenario I just repurchase it and confirm that I can purchase a fixed disc once the issue is settled.
How did it work out? What did CDJapan say in response to your question?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:37 PM
Trusted Editor

CDJ will do a physical disc replacement if you ship the disc back to them, they have an RMA process. If you're willing to spend the shipping cost to send your disc back to Japan, tell them your Bluray player doesn't have an internet connection and they should be able to do it for you. For me, it added an additional $17 to the cost of whatever I paid originally for the disc + shipping. Their RMA time length limitation is 1 month so you'll need to make sure it gets to Japan and clears your country and Japans customs in that timeframe, otherwise CDJ will cancel the RMA. CDJ said they received my package a few days ago and I'm just waiting for them to send the replacement back to me.

Even if for some reason CDJ refuses to do it, I'm sure you can find a middleman service that will do it for you. It's really just going to come down to whether the cost of shipping it back to Japan is worth it for you.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 03:30 AM

Quote:
CDJ will do a physical disc replacement if you ship the disc back to them, they have an RMA process. If you're willing to spend the shipping cost to send your disc back to Japan, tell them your Bluray player doesn't have an internet connection and they should be able to do it for you. For me, it added an additional $17 to the cost of whatever I paid originally for the disc + shipping. Their RMA time length limitation is 1 month so you'll need to make sure it gets to Japan and clears your country and Japans customs in that timeframe, otherwise CDJ will cancel the RMA. CDJ said they received my package a few days ago and I'm just waiting for them to send the replacement back to me.

Even if for some reason CDJ refuses to do it, I'm sure you can find a middleman service that will do it for you. It's really just going to come down to whether the cost of shipping it back to Japan is worth it for you.
I see. I haven't bought the disc to replace yet, so that's not a concern. If they have replacement discs available, why is it they are not selling the soundtrack at all anymore? I discovered this when I was going to order a few days ago. They removed the product page, and their representative told me in an email that buyers have to contact Sony Music for replacements (which Sony won't do for people outside of Japan).

Last edited by Noneofyourbusiness; Dec 21, 2018 at 03:36 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 06:57 AM
Trusted Editor

CDJ does not have replacement discs, Sony Music does. They are probably the company that prints the discs. CDJ has pulled the listing from their English presence because why would they sell a knowingly defective product to customers who have limited or no resources to acquire the corrected product? They will put the listing back up once they get a shipment of corrected albums from their distributor. It is still available on their Japanese site because Japanese customers will have no problem doing the exchange with Sony Music. http://www.neowing.co.jp/product/SQEX-20056

If you haven't bought it yet, just wait until CDJ relists it and you'll be buying a corrected product and won't have to worry about the replacement process.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
CDJ does not have replacement discs, Sony Music does. They are probably the company that prints the discs. CDJ has pulled the listing from their English presence because why would they sell a knowingly defective product to customers who have limited or no resources to acquire the corrected product? They will put the listing back up once they get a shipment of corrected albums from their distributor. It is still available on their Japanese site because Japanese customers will have no problem doing the exchange with Sony Music. http://www.neowing.co.jp/product/SQEX-20056

If you haven't bought it yet, just wait until CDJ relists it and you'll be buying a corrected product and won't have to worry about the replacement process.
But you said CDJ is sending you a replacement, which they can't do if they don't have replacement discs. I take it you mean they are waiting to get a shipment of corrected discs from Sony before they replace your disc and can't do it right now? Have they outright confirmed to you that they are expecting to receive such a shipment? The representative who responded to me didn't mention it.

I hope CDJ does relist it.

Last edited by Noneofyourbusiness; Dec 21, 2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:07 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneofyourbusiness View Post
But you said CDJ is sending you a replacement, which they can't do if they don't have replacement discs. I take it you mean they are waiting to get a shipment of corrected discs from Sony before they replace your disc and can't do it right now? Have they outright confirmed to you that they are expecting to receive such a shipment? The representative who responded to me didn't mention it.

I hope CDJ does relist it.
CDJ does not have the replacement discs, Sony Music does. CDJ is doing the replacement service that Sony Music is offering, on my behalf because I purchased it from them, am not a customer in Japan, and do not have a Bluray player with an Internet connection and am willing to pay the cost of International shipping back to CDJ to have them do the replacement service. The replacement service is directly with Sony Music -- you send them a defective disc, and they send you a corrected disc, 1:1. That service is not being offered internationally. This is not the first time this has happened. This same exact issue happened with Final Fantasy IV Remaster -- I dodged that issue because my order was delayed from something releasing a few weeks after it, so CDJ proactively held my order and did not ship it until they were able to replace it with corrected copies from Sony Music. It also happened with the Kingdom Hearts Box Set but I think they just shipped the corrected discs to customers or shipped the defective + corrected at the same time because I'm pretty sure I have both discs still.

At some point, corrected discs will be printed and those will be the only ones available to purchase, and at that point it will be back up on CDJ to order. I don't have any sort of insider info into CDJ or anything but it's standard retail distribution practice. Sony Music has probably issued a recall on the release, meaning all retailers and distributors with copies in stock will send them back to Sony Music or their distributor, and then Sony Music will turn around and send them back corrected versions once they are printed. They're not just going to sit on defective discs and stop selling them. If they were going to do that, they wouldn't bother printing a corrected disc and offering a replacement service at all.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
CDJ does not have the replacement discs, Sony Music does. CDJ is doing the replacement service that Sony Music is offering, on my behalf because I purchased it from them, am not a customer in Japan, and do not have a Bluray player with an Internet connection and am willing to pay the cost of International shipping back to CDJ to have them do the replacement service. The replacement service is directly with Sony Music -- you send them a defective disc, and they send you a corrected disc, 1:1. That service is not being offered internationally. This is not the first time this has happened. This same exact issue happened with Final Fantasy IV Remaster -- I dodged that issue because my order was delayed from something releasing a few weeks after it, so CDJ proactively held my order and did not ship it until they were able to replace it with corrected copies from Sony Music. It also happened with the Kingdom Hearts Box Set but I think they just shipped the corrected discs to customers or shipped the defective + corrected at the same time because I'm pretty sure I have both discs still.

At some point, corrected discs will be printed and those will be the only ones available to purchase, and at that point it will be back up on CDJ to order. I don't have any sort of insider info into CDJ or anything but it's standard retail distribution practice. Sony Music has probably issued a recall on the release, meaning all retailers and distributors with copies in stock will send them back to Sony Music or their distributor, and then Sony Music will turn around and send them back corrected versions once they are printed. They're not just going to sit on defective discs and stop selling them. If they were going to do that, they wouldn't bother printing a corrected disc and offering a replacement service at all.
I see. So CDJ will get a corrected replacement from Sony specifically for your disc now and ship it to you because you already purchased one from them and are willing to pay extra, but while they are able to do that now by dealing with Sony on your behalf, they don't have the resources to offer corrected discs widely yet.

Last edited by Noneofyourbusiness; Dec 21, 2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 06:34 AM
Trusted Editor

- Added Album Info
- Linked Mastering Engineer
- Updated track times to reflect BD source (not mp3) * Track 58 and 59 are split across two Chapters (61+62, 63+64 respectively)
Old Dec 27, 2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I interrogated them from every angle, but CDJ are claiming they will never have a corrected stock from Sony and will never make it widely available for purchase again. However, I managed to finally get my Blu-Ray player connected to my Wi-Fi, so that shouldn't be an issue, and they opened the product page for me temporarily to order.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:08 AM

If I were to buy this album today from a retailer (e.g. from amazon.co.jp), is there any way to tell whether I'd be getting an original (defective) disc or a new (corrected) disc?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:25 AM

Besides looking at the disc itself, I don't think so. Corrected disc has a small star:

Btw, if you have any spare preorder "film" strips to part with, I could be interested ^^
Old Jan 6, 2023, 12:45 PM

Just thought I'd throw this out there:

This thread stopped me from buying this when it first came out, but since I had all the other "revival" releases I wanted to complete my collection. I ordered a copy from CDJapan just this week and the video does not have the "Dancing Calbrena" audio glitch.

I also own the remaster disc with the audio glitch, so I was able to listen to them side-by-side. For what it's worth, the MP3 copy included on the disc doesn't have the glitch either, and the file modification date of the MP3 files is 10/22/2018.