VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 23, 2009, 08:16 PM

1up interviewed "H. Maezawa" of Contra fame. That really was a fantastic composition; one of the best opening themes for an action game, particularly an arcade game.

Reading through it now!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172388

Awesome! Hidenori built the VRC6! He also lists his philosophy on composing on the Famicom:

1UP: That's the interesting thing. Maybe it was the challenge, or maybe just the sound of the hardware, but something about those games really worked. Did you feel at the time that the games you were creating were something special?

HM: Here's how I explained it to people back in the day. Say you have Tokyo Tower; when you say to people you're going to create Tokyo Tower, you'd first think about what sort of materials you'd have to gather to build it. That's something you can do with current technology. But back then, we were working on low-spec hardware, so we couldn't properly express Tokyo Tower. What we did instead was -- there's a sort of art craft here in Japan that's made of bamboo. You use the bamboo and you can make really detailed models, and they have their own distinctive flavor. So that's how I always described my work: a tiny, detailed bamboo art craft version of Tokyo Tower. It had its own distinct flavor, and it was tangible -- you could reach out and touch it more easily than the real Tokyo Tower, and it was the work of just one person. So in a way it's more real than something you see on TV or on a movie screen. That's probably why the work had its own unique warmth.

So basically, he had this idea of how the music WOULD sound if they had proper technology, but he knew that they had to express it differently using the technology they had. So while the chiptune is not the same as the perhaps 'ideal' form of the rock arrangement, the chiptune does have its own unique feel to it, and so is treated as a separate and standalone work - the chiptune is not a bamboo model prototype for Tokyo Tower, but the model is an actual work of art. This statement reminds me of a T-shirt that I have, which has the tank from Combat with a thought bubble coming out of it and a giant Sherman tank inside. "Is the tank dreaming of what it wants to be when it grows up?" Well no, it's a question of simulation and representation. The pixel tank represents what is in the thought bubble, and it simulates some aspect of its operation, but the pixel tank is its own thing. "This is note a tank."

Last edited by CaptainCommando; Jan 23, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 05:50 AM

Cool interview. I'm interested that Hidenori Maezawa was the sole composer. Like so many of Konami's old projects, multiple people got credited for it -- I believe Kyouhei Sada (perhaps Atsushi Fujio and Takayuki Ogura too) also contributed. Maybe in sound design roles? I try, but I still don't properly understand Konami. That said, I'm glad to see a bit more info on Maezawa since he did some good remixes for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

Last edited by Chris; Jan 24, 2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:38 PM

I already kind of posted this in a different Artist Discussion thread, but to clarify, Hidenori Maezawa didn't actually compose the music to Contra and Super Contra. He only arranged the pre-existing arcade music in order to adapt it to the Nintendo and Famicom. The only original music he did compose was for the cutscenes in the Famicom version of Contra, which weren't used in the Nintendo version. All the music from the arcade version of Contra was composed by Kazuki Muraoka, so he is the actual composer. And for Super Contra, it was Kazuki Muraoka and Motoaki Furukawa.

About Kyouhei Sada, he must have done the sound effects and/or programming for the home consoles, because Maezawa said in the interview that he ported all the music by himself.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:13 PM

The music to SCAT and Abadox credit Sada exclusively (well as far as I know) and they have something of a Contra sound to them. Would that be a programming matter?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 05:47 PM

So these articles are obviously no longer up since 1up is gone. I was able to find Part 3 on the Wayback Machine, but Parts 1 and 2 appear to be missing...

https://web.archive.org/web/20121023...UserId=5379721
Old Feb 21, 2020, 03:01 PM
VGMdb Staff

It seems he changed his name from 前澤ヒデノリ to 前澤之伯 in 2017.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCommando View Post
So these articles are obviously no longer up since 1up is gone. I was able to find Part 3 on the Wayback Machine, but Parts 1 and 2 appear to be missing...
Here's a link with all the parts archived.

This interview was conducted before Kinuyo Yamashita and Satoe Terashima were revealed as composers of the original Castlevania. So Hidenori Maezawa, having been involved in the game as his first project at Konami, is implied by 1UP to have done some music or at least some arrangement for the game.

Maezawa himself said he didn't have a huge role and this was before he started doing sound effects, sound programming and composition. Which doesn't leave a lot.