VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:06 PM

Default Classic RPG Music

I put together a playlist of "Classic RPG music" a year or two ago, but thanks in no small part to RPGFan's "Rhythm Encounter" episode based around the classic Pnatasy Star games, I've decided to pick it back up.

The basic idea is to take RPG music from VGM's "golden age" (we'll say 1985-1997, not counting PSX/N64/Saturn generation) and make a CD or two (so working in 80-minute incriments) containing some of the most iconic RPG music; I plan to make another playlist (again in 80-minute blocks) doing the same for PSX-era and onward, but I haven't touched that one yet. For the sake of consistency and simplicity, I'm sticking with "chip" versions rather than arrangements, CD audio (like PCE CD Ys games), or PCM (like Lunar 2) - though SNES is perfectly acceptable. The CD-length stipulation is on the basis that someone I know offline might want a copy of the playlist (or I might want to "force" it on them) and the simplest way to do that is via CD.

I'm coming to you guys because while I enjoy my current single disc, I feel it could be better and there are quite a few things I've left out - and after hearing some "new" songs in Flights of Phantasie, I realize there are also iconic songs I don't even know about yet. Any feedback or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Since I noticed I only had one or two songs of each "type" (introduction, town, battle, dungeon, etc.), I organized the tracklist in the order in which they might fit in an actual RPG. With that in mind, here's what I have right now:

2. Final Fantasy - Prelude [Title Screen]
1. Dragon Quest 3 - Title Screen [Attract Mode]
3. Breath of Fire - Starting the Journey ~Breath of Fire~ [Prologue FMV]
4. Lufia - Last Duel [Opening Area/Battle]
5. Secret of Mana - Angel's Fear [After Battle]
6. Final Fantasy - Prologue [The Story Begins]
7. Star Ocean - Calm Time [Hometown]
8. Ys III (Megadrive) - Winged Boy [Outset to the Adventure] (Not honestly sure how this fits in yet; but it rocks, so it's here for now.)
9. Final Fantasy VI - Tina [World Map Area 1]
10. Seiken Densetsu 3 - Nuclear Fusion [Battle 1]
11. Earthbound - Onett [Town 1]
12. Ys (PC-88) - First Step Toward Wars [Dungeon 1]
13. Phantasy Star II - Rise or Fall [Dungeon Boss]
14. Final Fantasy - Victory [Victory] (Note: 13 and 14 sound amusingly perfect back to back.)
15. Phantasy Star III - World Map (Party of 5) [World Map Area 2]
16. Phantasy Star III - Town [Town 2]
17. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Last Castle [Dungeon 2]
18. Chrono Trigger - Chrono Trigger [Climactic Cutscene 1]
19. Lufia 2 - The Savior of Those on Earth [Fake Final Dungeon]
20. Chrono Trigger - Black Omen [Last Boss Encounter 1]
21. Final Fantasy V - Clash on the Big Bridge [Decisive Battle]
22. Energy Breaker - The Fortuneteller's Guidance [Climactic Cutscene 2]
23. Energy Breaker - The Sky's Brilliance [Town 3]
24. Terranigma - Ever Green [World Map Area 3]
25. Super Mario RPG - Weapons Factory [Final Dungeon]
26. Ys (PC-88) - The Last Moment of the Dark [Last Boss Encounter 2]
27. Chrono Trigger - Last Battle [Last Battle]
28. Live A Live - Live Over Again [Ending]
29. Phantasy Star IV - Staff Roll [Staff Roll]
30. Lufia - Pulufia Flowers [Epilogue]

Running Length: 79:29

Feel free to ignore my fake plot points if you like. They're just how the thing flows to me when I listen to it.

I tried to hit all the major games (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, Earthbound, etc.), but I still feel some great themes are missing (Phantasy Star 4 last boss, PS3 Town, DQ3 ending, etc.) and probably some great games, too. Help a brotha out! (...says the whitest white guy you'll ever meet.)

Last edited by JILost; Jun 4, 2013 at 11:14 PM.