VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Miscellaneous > Archives > Game Remixes Forum Archive 2009-2012
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:33 AM

I totally just blocked that rainbow picture, part of it makes the text pretty difficult to read.

Though maybe that's a good thing.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:41 AM
VGMdb Advisor

have you noticed when you only post short messages it's kinda dark and cloudy? sad
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:32 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAha
http://www.tempsoundsolutions.com
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:16 AM

Argh, my VISION!!!!! I'm hungover and this is the first thing I see. >.<
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintin3265 View Post
Now, onto the more positive points. One of the main topics from the earlier posts, before this whole war erupted, was that a lot of redundant work is being done everywhere and such competition isn't useful. Your suggestion to collaborate with ThaSauce is a good one, but Rama didn't reply to my messages either, so I went ahead and reimplemented exactly what he had already done. Now, there are two sites, with two interfaces, and neither one will grow to its full potential. As to the blanket statement, I made a blanket statement because it was true: there were indeed no replies from any sites.

Wait, what now?

iono what's goin' on here, but my Google Alerts tells me stuffs goin' on here. I haven't gotten an e-mail from you since the remixSite thread first showed up. Sorry if I missed something?

I thought the last e-mail I got was kind of a "end of conversation" e-mail. I'm kind of dumb about that stuff sometimes. I do see you were asking if I'd be interesting in helping, and I gotta tell you I don't know 2 shits about PHP, I kind of fumble my way through it, which is why I directed you elsewhere off the bat. I'm not help to anyone unless they need some fancy CSS, and I pretty much have my hands full doing all that for my 3 sites which are under CONSTANT renovation now a days.

As for INDIRECTLY helping, I link to remixSite on the mainpage of ReMix:ThaSauce, I've integrated remixSite links onto the artist master list (profiles inc...even though only like 4 people have'em right now, 1 being me), and I plan on taking the site as seriously as you guys do for as long as you do, because that's how I'd expect others to feel about me.

I would like to say though, that I have done everything I have done, by myself, and I not have asked for, nor gotten, any help from anyone at any time. Honestly, I don't really expect anyone to help me, and if no one ever does, that's fine with me. My site will grow so long as I keep taking care of it, people keep using it, and other people keep hearing about it, and I absolutely 100% fully believe that if I love my site as much as I can, and keep at it, it'll be everything I want it to be for as long as I want it to be.

That's really how you should view your site. A little acknowledgement is nice every now and then, I'll give you that; it's good to know that you have people that stand behind you in what you doing, so you know that you're not in it a lone. Because I know, sometimes it might feel like you're working on this website that just isn't going to be as big as you want it to be, but you gotta keep with it. You're doing a service for people, and so long as you keep listening to people, and giving them what they want, they WILL come.

As far as remixSite and ReMix:ThaSauce serving similar purposes, as it seems like that's what you're suggesting, you're wrong. ReMix:ThaSauce was made to serve a function similar to that of OCReMix, on purpose. I like OCReMixes format. I like songs to not have ratings, and for me to be able to control quality control. People will have their qualms, I'm sure, but it has hardly come up yet. I have no intention of ReMix:ThaSauce ever serving a similar purpose as remixSite, nor do I have any intention of building another site with a similar function. It's just not my prerogative.

I'm happy to indirectly support you guys in any way I can, and I'm happy to keep posting links and directing traffic your way. I'd appreciate it if you did the same for me, but even if not, I'll survive. I promise.

Edit: OH ONE MORE THING, if you look at the R:TS artist profiles, I've integrated a each artists' individual RSS feed (they're kind of hidden on OCR, but if you know where to look, you kind find'em). I'd LOVE to do this for any other site I can. Being able to to link to their profile is one thing, but being able to show LIVE updates is a totally other piece of awesome. Just a suggestion .

You will note that I haven't integrated remixSite's RSS into my master-mixes theme, and there's a reason for that, similar to why I don't have arrangement stream on there, and why I'm weary about having kwed on there: Given the nature of your updates, I don't really want the mainpage feed to be flooded by any 1 source, not for too long anyway. It's nothing personal :x. Individual artist feeds broken off onto their own artist pages (for me) would be GREAT though.

Dually-noted: ReMix:ThaSauce doesn't have individual artist RSS feeds yet...I know...like I said I sux at PHP gimme some time, ok? (((

Erm, gonna edit this again because, after going back and reading some of the comments in length, I think there might be a fundamental misconception of what exactly I'm doing, and why I'm doing it the way I'm doing it.

ReMix:ThaSauce was made specifically with the intention of having another site with a similar function to that of OverClocked ReMix. The principle difference between the 2 sites is that ReMix:ThaSauce accepts songs that're closer to the original source tunes, that might not have overtly stellar production, that're maybe too simple. Just songs that're still enjoyable that wouldn't necessarily make it on OverClocked ReMix. That is to say, songs submitted to R:TS DO get evaluated and songs DO get rejected. Mainly I'm looking for things to where people just really need to develop their mix more, as well as their musicianship. Or stuff that's just blatant original with drum loops over it or that kind of stuff. We have a quality control system set up, and songs RARELY go to the QC queue, it does happen from time to time. In addition, even if a song DOES go to the quality control system AND get rejected I STILL offer them a chance, if someone can present a decent case, for their to be a rejection veto. No one has ever exercised it, but the option IS THERE.

Basically what I'm trying to do with ReMix:ThaSauce is I'm trying to have a place where people can submit video game remixes that they had fun making, that other people would have fun listening to, while not alienating others. I realize some people like ratings so they can only listen to the BEST stuff and know what to not download, but I'm with DJP to where I believe every song I post SHOULD be listened to, and that's why I posted them. I believe in every mix, and every mixer on my website, and I won't give any one of them priority over anyone else. Everyone is equal. EVERYONE is special. While I do feel like people should have something to work toward, and something to strive for like getting a song on OverClocked ReMix, I also want to make sure they know that as much as they feel it is their privilege to have a song posted on ReMix:ThaSauce that it is tenfold my privilege for being chosen to share your song with others.

If ReMix:ThaSauce's function cross's over with anyone's, it's OverClocked ReMix and OverLooked ReMiX, and I'm SPECIFICALLY targeting songs that wouldn't get on OverClocked ReMix for whatever reason (which is the point). There IS some spill-over from time to time. I could care less, really. Exclusive tracks are cool to have, but the reason I MADE the site is so that I could give people a place to have their music heard. If someone has the same song on OverClocked ReMix, ReMix:ThaSauce, remixSite, and OverLooked ReMiX good for them! They're maximizing their potential! All I'm trying to do is to help artists whom, I felt, really needed a little extra push, and I think I've done a great job. This is why I wanted to make sure I have links to everyone's profile on all the sites, and why I'm in the process of sending out e-mails to collect as much information on artists as they want to share with others. This way they can get exactly the kind of recognition, for ALL their works, as they deserve. Also: I've recently become co-admin of OverLooked ReMiX as well and will be looking to do similar things there.

Anyway I hope that clears up any misconceptions. I feel very strongly that a site where anyone can upload tracks as they see fit, with ratings and the whole shabang is something necessary that the community really does need; especially with VGMix being defunct forever now. That is what I said to you when you first made your thread on OverClocked ReMix, and that's why I've continued to support what you're doing. However this is not the direction I decided to take ReMix:ThaSauce, nor is it the direction that will ever be taken.
Wardriver:ThaSauce
OverLooked ReMiX

Personal portfolio:
http://dougarley.com

Last edited by sgtrama; Feb 17, 2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtrama View Post
Wait, what now?

iono what's goin' on here, but my Google Alerts tells me stuffs goin' on here. I haven't gotten an e-mail from you since the remixSite thread first showed up. Sorry if I missed something?

I thought the last e-mail I got was kind of a "end of conversation" e-mail. I'm kind of dumb about that stuff sometimes. I do see you were asking if I'd be interesting in helping, and I gotta tell you I don't know 2 shits about PHP, I kind of fumble my way through it, which is why I directed you elsewhere off the bat. I'm not help to anyone unless they need some fancy CSS, and I pretty much have my hands full doing all that for my 3 sites which are under CONSTANT renovation now a days.

As for INDIRECTLY helping, I link to remixSite on the mainpage of ReMix:ThaSauce, I've integrated remixSite links onto the artist master list (profiles inc...even though only like 4 people have'em right now, 1 being me), and I plan on taking the site as seriously as you guys do for as long as you do, because that's how I'd expect others to feel about me.

I would like to say though, that I have done everything I have done, by myself, and I not have asked for, nor gotten, any help from anyone at any time. Honestly, I don't really expect anyone to help me, and if no one ever does, that's fine with me. My site will grow so long as I keep taking care of it, people keep using it, and other people keep hearing about it, and I absolutely 100% fully believe that if I love my site as much as I can, and keep at it, it'll be everything I want it to be for as long as I want it to be.

That's really how you should view your site. A little acknowledgement is nice every now and then, I'll give you that; it's good to know that you have people that stand behind you in what you doing, so you know that you're not in it a lone. Because I know, sometimes it might feel like you're working on this website that just isn't going to be as big as you want it to be, but you gotta keep with it. You're doing a service for people, and so long as you keep listening to people, and giving them what they want, they WILL come.

As far as remixSite and ReMix:ThaSauce serving similar purposes, as it seems like that's what you're suggesting, you're wrong. ReMix:ThaSauce was made to serve a function similar to that of OCReMix, on purpose. I like OCReMixes format. I like songs to not have ratings, and for me to be able to control quality control. People will have their qualms, I'm sure, but it has hardly come up yet. I have no intention of ReMix:ThaSauce ever serving a similar purpose as remixSite, nor do I have any intention of building another site with a similar function. It's just not my prerogative.

I'm happy to indirectly support you guys in any way I can, and I'm happy to keep posting links and directing traffic your way. I'd appreciate it if you did the same for me, but even if not, I'll survive. I promise.

Edit: OH ONE MORE THING, if you look at the R:TS artist profiles, I've integrated a each artists' individual RSS feed (they're kind of hidden on OCR, but if you know where to look, you kind find'em). I'd LOVE to do this for any other site I can. Being able to to link to their profile is one thing, but being able to show LIVE updates is a totally other piece of awesome. Just a suggestion .

You will note that I haven't integrated remixSite's RSS into my master-mixes theme, and there's a reason for that, similar to why I don't have arrangement stream on there, and why I'm weary about having kwed on there: Given the nature of your updates, I don't really want the mainpage feed to be flooded by any 1 source, not for too long anyway. It's nothing personal :x. Individual artist feeds broken off onto their own artist pages (for me) would be GREAT though.

Dually-noted: ReMix:ThaSauce doesn't have individual artist RSS feeds yet...I know...like I said I sux at PHP gimme some time, ok? (((

Erm, gonna edit this again because, after going back and reading some of the comments in length, I think there might be a fundamental misconception of what exactly I'm doing, and why I'm doing it the way I'm doing it.

ReMix:ThaSauce was made specifically with the intention of having another site with a similar function to that of OverClocked ReMix. The principle difference between the 2 sites is that ReMix:ThaSauce accepts songs that're closer to the original source tunes, that might not have overtly stellar production, that're maybe too simple. Just songs that're still enjoyable that wouldn't necessarily make it on OverClocked ReMix. That is to say, songs submitted to R:TS DO get evaluated and songs DO get rejected. Mainly I'm looking for things to where people just really need to develop their mix more, as well as their musicianship. Or stuff that's just blatant original with drum loops over it or that kind of stuff. We have a quality control system set up, and songs RARELY go to the QC queue, it does happen from time to time. In addition, even if a song DOES go to the quality control system AND get rejected I STILL offer them a chance, if someone can present a decent case, for their to be a rejection veto. No one has ever exercised it, but the option IS THERE.

Basically what I'm trying to do with ReMix:ThaSauce is I'm trying to have a place where people can submit video game remixes that they had fun making, that other people would have fun listening to, while not alienating others. I realize some people like ratings so they can only listen to the BEST stuff and know what to not download, but I'm with DJP to where I believe every song I post SHOULD be listened to, and that's why I posted them. I believe in every mix, and every mixer on my website, and I won't give any one of them priority over anyone else. Everyone is equal. EVERYONE is special. While I do feel like people should have something to work toward, and something to strive for like getting a song on OverClocked ReMix, I also want to make sure they know that as much as they feel it is their privilege to have a song posted on ReMix:ThaSauce that it is tenfold my privilege for being chosen to share your song with others.

If ReMix:ThaSauce's function cross's over with anyone's, it's OverClocked ReMix and OverLooked ReMiX, and I'm SPECIFICALLY targeting songs that wouldn't get on OverClocked ReMix for whatever reason (which is the point). There IS some spill-over from time to time. I could care less, really. Exclusive tracks are cool to have, but the reason I MADE the site is so that I could give people a place to have their music heard. If someone has the same song on OverClocked ReMix, ReMix:ThaSauce, remixSite, and OverLooked ReMiX good for them! They're maximizing their potential! All I'm trying to do is to help artists whom, I felt, really needed a little extra push, and I think I've done a great job. This is why I wanted to make sure I have links to everyone's profile on all the sites, and why I'm in the process of sending out e-mails to collect as much information on artists as they want to share with others. This way they can get exactly the kind of recognition, for ALL their works, as they deserve. Also: I've recently become co-admin of OverLooked ReMiX as well and will be looking to do similar things there.

Anyway I hope that clears up any misconceptions. I feel very strongly that a site where anyone can upload tracks as they see fit, with ratings and the whole shabang is something necessary that the community really does need; especially with VGMix being defunct forever now. That is what I said to you when you first made your thread on OverClocked ReMix, and that's why I've continued to support what you're doing. However this is not the direction I decided to take ReMix:ThaSauce, nor is it the direction that will ever be taken.
Great! It's good to see that you stopped by, and even better that we can talk about things without immediate negative comments. If everyone were like you, the Shizz would be a better place

First, I added a new bug at http://shoemakervillage.org/mantis/view.php?id=197 dealing with the RSS feed issues. This bug shouldn't be difficult to fix, and should be available in the next release. Thanks for the suggestion. If you have any others, feel free to register an account and add more bugs to the system.

I think we both agree that people need a place to post their music without judging being required. I also agree that, like with Overclocked ReMix, this site is not in competition with ThaSauce. Overclocked ReMix differentiates itself by prejudging remixes, while ThaSauce posts remixes manually through a different process. There are merits to each type of system, and I'm really, really glad that you don't see a need for competition like I believe Overclocked ReMix has. I'm going to implement all the RSS feeds that you suggested and, when you get your feeds implemented, I'll add ThaSauce's songs to remixSite's feeds. The artist RSS feeds will be implemented by this weekend.

Most importantly, though, I was wondering if you might be interested in participating in the "experience" system as described in "Moving Forward." ThaSauce can offer exposure to artists who would like to spend experience to highlight their artist profiles on the front page. If you were to agree, people would have their profiles highlighted prominently on ThaSauce by spending remixSite experience, and you would be reimbursed in cash at whatever the current valuation of experience points is. This arrangement could encourage people to visit ThaSauce, would earn you money, would give remixSite artists more options, and would increase the value of experience points at remixSite.

We would have to wait, however, until it is proven that artists will contribute enough songs, reviews, and pay money to get enough experience into the system before implementing this. Please feel free to comment in the "moving forward" thread about the experience system if you are interested in being a part of it.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 07:39 AM

Jeez dude, you really need to drop the Shizz blaming already.
Shizz is just fine, you just didn't know what you were getting into when you started posting there.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 01:37 PM

Yeah, I love the Shizz.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:39 PM

agreed. this guy..
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Shizz is just fine, you just didn't know what you were getting into when you started posting there.
Like 4chan for music...? o.O
Old Feb 21, 2010, 04:38 PM

not really, the shizz was around before 4chan.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 05:54 PM

And Shizz is also more awesome.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:15 PM

shizz shares stuff other than virii too. but i guess the stuff the shizz shares is pretty virulent too.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 01:18 PM

sorry to bump this thread. i imagine you guys would rather see it disappear.

quintin: i asked about the possibility of adding a remixsite link back on january 28th. it's now march 4th and i've still had no response on the matter. so unfortunately all i can say is "sorry, we can't do it." this is what i'm up against... something like this should be totally trivial. it is highly frustrating. rather than leaving you hanging i thought i'd let you know. if i were you, i wouldn't bother linking back to vgmusic.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 03:53 PM

NO THIS THREAD LACKS RAINBOWS
Old Mar 4, 2010, 08:58 PM

Okay, sorry, but everyone stop for a second. This is really annoying me. It seems like everywhere we go, we get the same shit. Not the reps or admins, but the people. Everyone is guilty here, in their own way. Allow me to explain... though I'm sure I've made no angel of myself, I can only speak from my own point of view...

Quintin wants a site for everybody. I guess his original intention was as honest as anyone's, and that he really just aims for the end goal, then asks the people interested, ways to achieve it. Hence asking well respected people in the community, who've done it before to help out. I would to. Hence giving a reward for writing a good track. Everyone should have one. The way things were put across, I agree, might seem wrong. But everything new has it's difficult time.

OCR want the same thing as remixsite, only in this scenario it seems their reputation is being tarnished because of events that are personal to individuals and people who are the select few. As if all their effort and hard work amounts to nothing because someone on another site says so. OCR, nor any site wants to be the end of the stick, and so I commend OCR and anyone who wants to defend themselves against attacks, which it seems, in this case, have been unjust. Not necessarily uncalled for, but have been misdirected or misunderstood. However, I don't see the need to fight in this manner. It seems... over the top.

I must also draw attention to the things people have said on both sides about "us in the middle", perhaps unknowingly, but still. To say that "no one has helped" or "no one ever helped, except blah" is just not cool. Even if it slipped people's minds that it's everyone included who makes a site live, it's not okay. Without us simple people, you have nothing, and in turn, we need you. It's not just the admin or the guy who currently makes music for games, nor the guy who leads the forum. It needs to be inherent in anyone who tries to give people a home, to say that they're welcome there. And OCR, the Shizz and RemixSite, at least, have all hurt "the people" in their own way. I'm guilty for helping this thread start by not being more active on remixsite.

This shit happens and is to be expected. If anything, can we at least agree that no one wants anyone else to fail, but also, are not responsible for that unsuccess. Can we at least agree also, that some people are trying to do their best to make a site live, but those who choose not to join are not responsible for that site dieing? After all, I think this whole thread is more a shout to the community here than it is an attack on anyone else. Words were said, regrettable ones. But let's be mature and forget them together. If this scenario ended up badly, I'd lose faith in everyone; RemixSite, OCR, the shizz, vgmix, every music site on the net. Everyone. No one needs to get bent out of shape about this.

And at the very least can we agree that no one wants to hear less music, but more? All these problems are pretty much meaningless to me except THAT ONE. I want more John Williams, more Nobuo Uematsu, more Yoko Kanno, more John Barry, more Pendulum, more Offspring (early days) etc, etc. I want good music to return. I think everyone here has that goal, and everyone has their own idea of that.

So let's stop arguing and let's just get there. Scientists of music if you will.

Last edited by Omnomnomnom; Mar 4, 2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 04:46 AM

eh woops.... was totally legless when I posted that. >.< Thought this was getting bumped for negative reasons, hahahah. I shouldn't be allowed on the net when drunk. >.>
Old Mar 6, 2010, 10:34 AM

I think that a lot of people might have skipped the first few posts in the thread and only read the later pages when they first posted. I stated that, in general, the Overclocked ReMix community was not interested in helping, and that, specifically, several people did not respond to messages, but there was no intention of stating that specific people were obligated to help. What I did, and still, believe that people are obligated to do is to reply to calls and messages, even if it takes a while to reply, to let the sender know whether the recipient is interested. If one receives a wedding invitation, it's disrespectful to not reply, for example, even if you have no intention of attending. It's not like I had already E-Mailed them ten times and they repeatedly said "no" every time.

Also, though, you bring up one of the core issues that I forgot to mention: this idea of "my site" versus "your site." When all the sites are for free, it shouldn't matter which site is "mine" or "yours." That's why you'll never see me refer to the site as "my site" anywhere in any post in these forums. While this obviously is not the case now, and I myself declared that I would make this site closed source in response, I had originally hoped that the community was simply interested in sharing music in the easiest way possible, not in where the music is located or who helped share the music.

I mean, what was the point of competition when nobody had any intention of making any money?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:56 PM

that wedding invitation analogy? nowhere near accurate or even worthwhile. allow me to make a working analogy.

to use a proper analogy, its as if a really annoying kid in your neighborhood gets a special gold edition copy of mckids, signed by tommy t himself, wants to ask every kid he knows to come over to his house to play mckids by coming over and knocking on the door, and after a short while the kids who's houses you go to start having their parents answer the door and tell you they're not there.

but then to take it a step further and really show the scope of how this analogy fits with the situation, you keep coming back with the same corny game because you think you want to play and youre under the impression that people want to play with you, but you forget the fact very quickly that you knocked on dude's door way too many times and way too often, threw too many tantrums, and generally didnt act or treat people right.

do you get it now? it doesnt matter what game it is, what matters is you getting cross with the parents, saying you're going to go home and take your game to people's parents, when all in all the game wasnt even that fun. it damn sure didnt do anything to prove that it wasnt corny and cheesy like a bag of 3d doritos.

sorry, but a spade's a spade. not trying to flame either, but your logic is all crossed up and i think you should see how it appears to someone who was both inside and outside what you're trying to do.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 07:59 PM

Though I agree with you about the wedding invitation... everything you said was from the perspective of a child, not an adult... how can you speak for kids man? :P

Quote:
what matters is you getting cross with the parents, saying you're going to go home and take your game to people's parents, when all in all the game wasnt even that fun.
Yeah, okay, I get that. That RemixSite wasn't that good and that Quintin shouldn't be pissed that people didn't do anything to help it build? Oh wait.... sounds more like a sandcastle and not a game. Takes people to build it, no? I don't go to sites based on computer game music in order to "play" as such. I go there, because "playing" will be my job. If I get to write music I know people will love? Its something I live for and I would get to have fun doing it. I don't go to RemixSite because Quintin wants me to. Nor do I go there for the hell of a site. I go there for my own reasons. Which are totally different seemingly to your's, OCR's, even Quintin's. And that's okay.

To argue on your point, this playground does not report to the "parents". We're all adults here (at least mostly, or we try to be) and we talk to eachother in open debate because we're able to deal with the comeback. Quintin had a problem, and I agree, had I been on the opposition, I'd be blanking him, maybe. Depends. If I were him, I'd see things from his perspective. Most likely. Let's not get angry and stupid here. He wants his site to "fit in with the other kids", and yet somehow be unique. Help it, don't hinder it! Right now, this seems very like internet bullying on a scale I've never seen. Quintin shouldn't have brought up this post, but then again, the response has been less than "okay".

So really, it comes down to perspective. If this site fails or not means nothing to me in the long run. But I'd rather see it succeed, since it seem to me that he's doing something honest and something he's passionate about. So far, no other place has given me this opportunity.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:13 PM

i was just making a similar analogy, i find it hard to believe that the sentiment of the analogy is lost with you or him or anybody. it certainly isnt internet bullying, its just driving home a point which is lost with the guy that he probably is not gonna ever get. put it this way, just about everything steve has said in this thread could be easily disproved with pm's he's left me over the last 6 or so months.

theres a lot of stuff he's said in this thread that simply doesnt add up with what he's said to me in private, and if i wanted to go through the thread dissecting his points one by one im sure i could do it and then you could say it's 'internet bullying'. this certainly isnt that. i just call it a spade and i dont find it much tougher then that. put it like this if it's lost on you since we're on the analogy tip now: if you worked for someone you had doubts about and you saw them saying one thing in public and consistently doing or saying a different thing in private, how long would you put up with it before you got fed up and said something about it? it's the same thing that he's trying to call other people out on. like the title of the thread says, 'its time to get real here'. this is kind of whats going on here and i could let steve's own words speak for themselves, or i could say them in my own. if i let his words say it, i think people would jump all over me for it when the truth of it is that hes talking out both sides of his mouth and absolutely not being honest. i'll give him a chance to reply, and depending on how he replies, i'll be able to most undoubtedly refute what he has to say, even with his own words, because he's got himself all mixed up like 311 at this point. i have the pm's to prove it. i dont want/need to bust a dick move, but you shouldnt trust nefarious people. the last thing the dude had to say to me was that i let ocr win. that alone speaks volumes about his character and what he's sayin. time to get real here.

he saw stuff wasnt going the way he was hoping to see it in his best case scenario, so he intentionally went out of his way to ostracize himself, and it wasnt an immediate thing. what does that tell you? i dont think i need to say much more here.

Last edited by shawnphase; Mar 9, 2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnomnom View Post
We're all adults here (at least mostly, or we try to be)
I'm not and I don't try to be and screw you too. ):<
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:43 PM

@KiddCabbage; Are you sure you're not supposed to be a comedian in life? :P

@Shawn; Sorry if I offended you in my last post at all, didn't mean to. Okay, you say your stuff very well... but I believe what I see and test to be true. Hearsay doesn't really get anyone anywhere. If you really want to prove what you're saying, then show us what you saw. Let us make our own mind up, like you did. Hell, you obviously seem serious about this, I doubt anyone will treat you badly for speaking what you believe is the truth. *scratches head* I don't even know when/how this got to this stage.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 06:43 AM

its all good man, i didnt take any offense at all. the only reason i am not posting the real damaging pm's in this thread is because of the site itself and for you guys, believe it or not i do want you guys to have some faith in this guy if you can after all is said and done. hell, i did for a long time. however, he pushed and he pushed with all the same stuff that had no bearing or importance.

i will post one pm exchange here that just goes to show you that steve's scope of control in his endeavor is something that if you guys who use the site want to see a change is going to have to conversely change as well, and without bringing this up like everybody feels compelled to do but without hitting the nail on the head and really proving the points is gonna be lost on the guy. after all, it is time to get real here.

so here is one solitary example. steve will probably continue to ignore me, but im sure he will read what i say which might get the point across to him, but ultimately whether he realizes it and decides that he wants to make these changes for the good of the site that its really up in the air for all of you guys.

Sent 21 October 2009 - 03:09 PM
Hey shawn,

I think we should shut down the IRC channel for remixSite. There aren't many people there anyway, we don't have time to monitor the channel, and we should get people using the forums before the IRC channel. It's only a drain on resources, it's diverting our attention from more important things, and has the potential to provide negative publicity if bad people show up there.

What do you think?

-Steve

Sent 21 October 2009 - 06:02 PM
i dont know what you mean by shutting down the irc channel. i am only person in there, and i am always in there, are you asking me to not idle in #remixsite anymore? what is there to shut down if nobody at all but me uses it. just leave it there, in case anybody at all ever comes into the irc. people who use efnet might see it and use espernet. its really non-issue to me honestly.

how do you shut down an irc channel with one person in it? how is it a drain on resources to simply idle in an irc channel and say hello to people who happen to come by? for the record, i never left the irc channel, i have ops and control of the channel as well. so do you see why maybe he wanted to shut it down? i think it could be because he didnt have control of it. it was out of his scope of what he felt was important, but at the same time, it was important enough to shut down, maybe because of the control aspect, maybe just poor judgement, any which way you could imagine it, this is just one example of why its time to get real here.

as long as the real issues here continue to be kept hidden or unspoken, i cant really say that there will be any growth. by all means steve, chime in if you feel like you have something you'd like to clarify. somehow i dont think theres really anything you can say about this. again, this is just one example, but its a good harmless example of how you get what you get out of steve sokolowski and how what you get, you've got to fight with him about. im certainly not trying to raise any issues that i wouldnt expect any other person to raise with me, but if he gets it and learns from his mistakes that would be the best case scenario in all of this and while im still holding out hope when i probably shouldnt be anymore, i'd like to think that my nearly 8 months worth of effort i gave the guy would be enough to warrant being able to voice my opinion.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 04:47 PM

I'm not even going to pretend that I read this thread. But I will say this after scanning the last few responses and being mildly intrigued by the possible revealing what seemed to be dark, hidden secrets:

I see nothing wrong with what Steve did in asking you what you thought about cutting off the IRC channel. If I created a site and was putting my hard earned money and time into it, I would want to be a part of every facet of it. That means that I would want to be in the IRC channel, but since I'm focusing on developing the site, I'm going to not worry about the corn tonight and give my attention to making my steak well so that my guests will be happy (since we've been using analogies). Maybe he thought you as a resource could be better using any time you spent in IRC doing other things. Hell, I probably would have suggested ditching IRC for now myself.

But whatever. Why aren't we just moving on from this? Let the people who want to stay stay and be on your way. I'm sorry you wasted eight months on a project with someone who was, in your eyes, managing things so poorly and was controlling. What is revealing this stuff going to do? Sure, you'll let off some steam, but is it worth putting even MORE time reading this forum and posting these long criticisms when you could be doing something else? That's advice I would give anyone, so don't think I'm trying to make you upset. I wish you well, and wish that this thread would stop being bumped above stuff relating to the music some of us are trying to make.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:30 PM

its not really all that much skin off my back to type a message to something that needs to be said, especially when he went against my wishes to post this thread, molested my pm box (after i asked him not to), ran around with my prize like some voodoo shit straight outta district 9, prawns, battlemechs, 8 months, blah blah blah. i could and have gone on and on and there is no moving on in it. dude will not learn no matter what.

anyways, here's how this thread ends. since steve started this thread, and it went sour/ugly/whatever, here's the last pm he sent me (again, i asked him not to send me pm's and contact me directly or through email, i wanted to try and do things regarding the site professionally, but yeah. you get where im going with this):

Hey shawn,

After spending an hour today, I was able to come up with a plan for action on this site. Feel free to comment with what you think.

1. On Sunday, I'll determine how many songs were posted during the time period of the Haiti earthquake promotion, make the donation, and post the proof at the Shizz, as stated. <------NEVER HAPPENED!

2. After that, I'm not going to post here any more, because any posts about remixSite just keep getting such negative feedback that it's a waste of time. Posts about anything else that I make are usually ignored or receive one-line responses that are unintelligent or have little to do with the topic. <---DIDNT HAPPEN! THATS TWO

3. On Monday, I'm going to put out press releases to the 50 or so press release sites about the new compos feature. <---THE HAT TRICK! YOURE 0 FOR 3 STEVE!

4. I'll reply to anything that's posted on the remixSite boards, and will push the changes that are waiting in the development area out to the production server on Monday. <--HERE WE ARE, KNEE DEEP IN BULLSHIT, YOU'VE PUSHED TWO BUGGED OUT BAD BUGFIXES. THANKS FOR THAT.

5. At that point, I'll do nothing and wait. If traffic increases, songs are posted, compos are organized, or there is a more positive reaction at other forums, I'll resume development. Otherwise, if March 1 or March 15 rolls around and traffic continues to decline below the current levels of 20 visits a day (only 5 of whom stay on the site for more than 5 seconds), then I'll cancel the hosting contract. Then, I can look into a different genre or attempting to sell to a corporation that is trying to develop music software. <--HMM, DO NOTHING AND WAIT. SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN. AT LEAST THE COMPOS ARE HAP-OH WAIT! THATS THE COMMUNITY'S DOING! GOOD GAME HERE, STEVE HAS DONT HALF OF >ONE< OF THESE 5 **FIVE** POINTS THATS HAPPENED GOOD FOR THE SITE IN HIS FAVOR, AND IT WASNT EVEN SOMETHING HE HAD TO DO! well steve, it's march 10th. can you give us some concrete numbers? you certainly arent doing all that much with the site for the site's good, sending out buggy versions. not even a rollback or nothing during that time, when you actually have people on the site and using it? this PM was sent on JANURARY 22ND. its MARCH 10TH. the part about selling the site to a corporation? cmon, if that was the intent, you'd have to be stupid to not do it at ANY point, hell, sell the site as remixsite to a corporation? god forbid i put any ideas in anybodys brain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is hardly the ideal plan that I (and probably you) envisioned last year. I had planned to someday create a game remix site as long ago as September 2005. Sometimes, though, you have to cut your losses and move on to things that might be more successful.
Later,
-Steve

no, this certainly is not what i hoped for.

and just to show that this is a totally amicable, happy end here, he finally wrote me back, in pm, in an appropriate place! i guess he can finally get things right!

shawn, I don't want to hear anything more from you about how people perceive me or what's wrong with me or any of this other stuff. I've never complained about who I am and you're not a doctor and I didn't ask for your help.

Leave me alone. Stop contacting me in any way, and I'm not going to read anything you send me after this. I don't want to talk to you ever again, period.

well the feeling is perfectly mutual, its all good. i wont waste another keystroke of my time that i could be using programming a module or a ds-10 or doing mad libs. this is all this is anyways. but here is where this thread ends. all that needs to be said is right there. anybody who wants to support this guy, go ahead. he operates like a weird broken robot though. that it and thats all. anybody who sees me at a con or an expo or at any kind of show or festival, feel free to punch me in the balls and say thats for 'its time to get real here' on remixsite forums, that is totally a free one on me and i'll always honor it.

anybody who has somethin to say after this, i dont care if you're mod, human, cyborg, whatever. you'd be a fool to bump this thread again. i say this with total respect and dignity in the name of dod.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:36 PM
VGMdb Administrator

No, this is where the thread ends.

::shades::