VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 6, 2008, 01:38 PM
VGMdb Advisor

As much as I'm for the promotion of VGM and less obvious to find material, I wouldn't consider this collection of tracks to be an album since they are not directly presented in this form.

So, I question if this entry should remain on VGMdb since it might be out of its scope.
Old May 6, 2008, 02:26 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

"An album or record album is a collection of related audio or music tracks distributed to the public."

Maybe I'm more relaxed about it, but I think it's valid.

The tracks are presented together in a collected way, they're all from the same game, they're all complete tracks rather than snippets/demos, there's a substantial amount of material, and the tracklist is essentially fixed/final. To me that's all good, but I'm just one opinion.
Old May 6, 2008, 03:03 PM
VGMdb Advisor

By this definition, it could indeed be considered as an "album". So would be the 1 track featured on another website, or those 2 tracks available on another, and...

I see them more like a collection of single tracks rather than an album per se. If there was a clear indication that it is an official presentation of an album, then I'd have no problems with it, but otherwise, it's quite ambiguous. Since VGMdb is not about cataloging every piece of VGM but rather those in the form of an official album release, it would be good to know where to draw the line.
Old May 6, 2008, 03:21 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I don't know where to draw the line either. All of those tracks are available here, and are listed in the order given:

http://rareware.com/games/kameo/downloads.html

This set of mp3s looks official enough, with Rare putting them up as a set of bonus tracks that aren't covered on their official soundtrack CD.

However, it seems like there are likely to be hundreds, or maybe thousands of small web releases, including cross-fade demos that come out for all the H games. Then there are composers who sometimes put mp3s up on their blogs. I think we will have to come up with some guidelines.
Old May 6, 2008, 08:07 PM
VGMdb Administrator

As an aside, these releases should fall under "official release" rather than "enclosure/promo".
Old May 6, 2008, 08:36 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
As an aside, these releases should fall under "official release" rather than "enclosure/promo".
Quote:
Official
An official album that was commercially sold.
Promo/Enclosure
This is a special category for albums that were never commercially sold as standalone CDs. This includes promos, preorder bonus CDs, soundtracks included with games, magazine promos, and limited-release show giveaways. Note that promo/enclosure CDs sometimes have their own catalogue number.
Looks like we're gonna have to revise the definitions of those classifications. Seems like a digital promo offhand, since it was official but not commercially sold, but I see where you're coming from. Maybe we should move this thread and change the title to a slightly broader discussion of the issues here. :-)
Old May 6, 2008, 09:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, those definitions are a bit outdated. We never considered digital releases when we came up with those, plus the "promo/enclosure" category implies "limited" when this is not the case for free digital releases.
Old May 7, 2008, 01:09 AM

There is some great music here. Burke sure is a competent composer.

Check out Chillin in the Trainers Hut and Peace in the Kingdom for the most soothing and relaxing music you can find. Castle Fight and End Credits in particular for EPIC music.

The music is one aspect of what made the game so good. Chillin was just played in one area (the trainers hut duh) and you were only in there for a few minutes. I always just went in their every time I passed by it just to here this music.

Who agrees?

http://www.rareware.com/ oh and under the music section there are tons of other game tracks. Such as Viva pinata. If you include this won't you have to include those as well.

Last edited by BahamutZ; May 7, 2008 at 01:29 AM.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:15 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamutZ View Post
http://www.rareware.com/ oh and under the music section there are tons of other game tracks. Such as Viva pinata. If you include this won't you have to include those as well.
Already ahead of you. :-)
Old May 7, 2008, 06:27 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I think that some kind of explanation should go in the Notes field for all of these Rareware bonus selections.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:26 AM
Trusted Editor

So are we going to add the Lucas Arts soundtracks from mixnmojo too? I always thought technically they're game rips but they could count as Digital Free (Doujin) Releases as well (with Lucas Arts' consent) . Or for the people who print out the covers and sell them on Ebay, they could be catalogued as bootlegs?

What about Japanese doujin samples? I see plenty of western ones, 3-minute long digital "albums", but take http://www.mintjam.net/sound/sound_index.htm -- The mp3s are listed in a descending order, so the first could be "MintJam Original", the second "MintJam Arrangement". All Free Digital Releases.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:30 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Oh no! What if we start adding anime soundtracks to the database too
Old May 7, 2008, 07:33 AM
Trusted Editor

Then we could rename vgmdb to stuffdb and start listing movie scores as well.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:37 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Slippery slope nonsense aside, I think the database can afford a few "fringe" entries. Those Rareware bonus selections are passable since they're official and packaged in the context of a specific IP product / game. We definitely won't be putting up random sample collections.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:23 PM

From the notes:

Quote:
These three Kameo MP3 medley tracks contain some music used in the game as well as music that didn't make it into the final version. Some tracks were written for promotional videos, internal demos at Rare, early versions of the game, alternate versions of the theme tune, and others for a bit of fun. In total there is around 1hr 15mins of music in these three MP3s."
So I think definitely we should also consider this as "Arrangement" and "Prototype/Unused", maybe even "Original Work" based on him saying some were made for a bit of fun. That would depend on whether or not those parts have anything to do with Kameo's actual music or not though (and I haven't heard these MP3s).