VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 8, 2014, 05:27 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Seems this album includes some tracks modified from the OST versions (as used in the console versions, OST has possibly the arcade versions).

I've noticed changes in 04, 10, 12, 25, 26 and 27.

So the performer credits may not be accurate.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:52 PM

Oooh... this is interesting. I've never heard this. Since it seems you can compare, does track 11 have some percussion at about 1:40? It sounds like not every track was noticeably different, but I'm wondering if maybe it was a small difference you might not have noticed.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 01:11 PM
VGMdb Advisor

You are right, 11 too.
(maybe others, since I didn't check that closely)
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:26 AM

Okay, I managed to listen to this in the mystical ways we VGM fans often do. I can confirm playing them back-to-back with game ADX files that every song on this soundtrack is identical to the console audio. There are no arcade tracks (if that is the specific distinction we're making between the two different versions of the songs). What I'll check the next time I'm home is which version of the game I have the files from (GameCube, PS2 or XBOX, don't know if any of the versions are specifically different, obviously GameCube has a couple Zelda arrangements though). I'm also curious to see whether or not the audio is just a direct conversion from the ingame files, and not completely lossless. I'll check this stuff later. But without a doubt, these are all console versions.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 09:10 PM

I know the GC version plays the hubris track offered here, which I prefer over the other. Also the opening trumpet or french horn is different here
Old Nov 18, 2014, 01:48 AM

Oh yeah, this.

I definitely do not have the Gamecube audio files, because those would be 32KHz and the ones I have are 48KHz, so from what you've said, it sounds like the console versions are identical.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 08:02 PM

Actually most of the tracks here have a different sound in the each tracks instrument of focus. I have all three console versions, but I only have the ability to play it for GC. I recall that the hubris track found here plays on the GC version. I'm going to put it in tonight and see the differences.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 08:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0wylN7Vmg
PS2 version opener
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EKcq-y_jnE
GC opener which is on this release.
Also the Tales of Souls and Swords is different in the game from the official release.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 09:52 PM

Oh, so the Gamecube version is different from the others? I guess I didn't understand what you meant about the opening being "different here" - different as opposed to where? These definitely aren't the versions from the 2-disc release, which seem to be arcade versions (right?). But I guess which console they're from could be different as well?

EDIT: Why am I being dumb, I have both the PS2 and Gamecube versions. Honestly, comparing them both side-by-side by ear, I can't hear a darn difference in anything. The only thing is that the Gamecube audio is a little... bassier? That is, the highs in the PS2 versions are a little clearer. But I think that's because of the frequency difference. There's no instrumentation difference between them at all. The versions are the same. At least that's what I'm hearing. Can you identify the specific difference you're hearing between the two videos you posted?

Last edited by Hellacia; Nov 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM.