VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Product (Game) Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 16, 2022, 09:26 PM

I really hope Radical Dreamers gets a soundtrack release now that it's being re-released together with Chrono Cross. It's got some fantastic tracks.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:03 AM

I've always been a fan of this one, too.

The credits here seem to be taken from the Demiforce fan translation which unfortunately got some of them wrong (remember that there were much fewer resources 20 years ago). I retranslated the sound parts from the Japanese staff credits:

Music Director / Composition

Yasunori Mitsuda

Sound Engineers

Eiji Nakamura
Motoko Watanabe

Sound Effects

Kazumi Mitome
Hironobu Izumi

Music Programming

Minoru Akao

Singing / Voices

Kurumi Fujioka
Kiyomi Tanikawa
Yasunori Mitsuda

As for the "singing" part, I guess those credited provided the synthesised voices we hear in "Summer Day", "Strange Presentiment", "The Girl Who Stole the Stars", "Whirlwind", "Facing", "Final Confrontation", "Ending ~ Le Trésor Interdit" (most of these titles are unofficial).

Database entries:
Yasunori Mitsuda = 146
Eiji Nakamura = 11313
Motoko Watanabe = 37710
Kazumi Mitome = 272
Hironobu Izumi = 47079
Minoru Akao = 11307
Kurumi Fujioka = no entry so far, cannot be 32652
Kiyomi Tanikawa = no entry so far

Edit: Sorry, made a mistake: it's not Tanigawa but Tanikawa. It's not the actress but a Square employee who worked on the business side of the company (not directly involved in development). Looks like an entry has now been created.

Last edited by zierts; Feb 18, 2022 at 09:53 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:49 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zierts View Post
Kurumi Fujioka = no entry so far, cannot be 32652
Kurumi Fujioka is the daughter of Chihiro Fujioka, who was a Square employee at the time, so I think it's quite plausible that they recorded her for this game when she was a kid actually
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:40 AM

I see. If their relation is confirmed, then that's definitely a possibility. Imagine having a credit to your name on such a beloved RPG series while you're still in kindergarten!

I rechecked and there seem to be only three vocal samples in the game. Female (? Kiyomi Tanikawa?) choirs used for melodies and chords, male (? Yasunori Mitsuda?) shouts and a child's (? Kurumi Fujioka?) "la la la". That would make it:

"Summer Day", "Strange Presentiment":
Kiyomi Tanikawa

"The Girl Who Stole the Stars":
Kurumi Fujioka

"Whirlwind", "Final Confrontation":
Yasunori Mitsuda

"Facing":
Kiyomi Tanikawa and Yasunori Mitsuda

Edit: Here's the track names (along with their hex codes) the Demiforce fan translation uses in the Music Test he added to the game:

Spoiler:
01 Summer Day
02 Distant Promise
03 Star Stealing Girl (Sonata)
04 Star Stealing Girl
05 Gale
06 Under Moonlight
07 The Frozen Flame
08 Portal to Open Ground
0E Final Confrontation
0F Sneaking Around
11 Viper Manor
12 Strange Presentiment
13 Facing
14 Epilogue
15 Ending

Chrono Compendium and other sites changed them over the years. Some of these were taken from the Chrono Cross OST by Demiforce but he seems to have translated or created them himself (adhering to the English versions of the games), not relying on Chudah's or STC's translations. And for those wondering why Square Enix uses the same subtitle as the fan translation for their re-release: it hearkens back to the end credits of the English version of Chrono Cross where the localisation team had translated its ending theme's title as such. I prefer it to the Japanese title since it's closer to the ending dialogue of Radical Dreamers...

Edit 2: We now have two more official track titles courtesy of this vinyl release:

Summer Day => 忘れじの夢 A Dream Never Forgotten
Ending => 風と夢の誓い A Vow of Wind and Dreams

Edit 3: And here's the tracks that made it into Chrono Cross:

Distant Promise => (melody reused) 夢の岸辺に アナザー・ワールド Shore of Dreams (Another World)
Star Stealing Girl (Sonata) => (melody reused) 星を盗んだ少女 The Girl Who Stole the Stars
Star Stealing Girl => 星を盗んだ少女 The Girl Who Stole the Stars
Gale => 疾風 Whirlwind
Frozen Flame => 凍てついた炎 The Frozen Flame
Viper Manor => 蛇骨館 Viper Manor
Epilogue => (melody reused) 忘れじの夢 A Dream Never Forgotten

Which leaves the following tracks stranded in Radical Dreamers with no re-releases so far:

Under Moonlight
Portal to Open Ground
Final Confrontation
Sneaking Around
Strange Presentiment
Facing

Last edited by zierts; Mar 25, 2022 at 09:08 AM.