VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:28 PM

You have dj TAKA (Takayuki Ishikawa) listed as the composer for multiple namco albums. However, those pre-'99 albums are all from a different Takayuki Ishikawa 石川隆之. http://www36.atwiki.jp/gmcomposer/pages/14.html
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:47 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Whoopsie. We've had them conflated for a long damn time. Should be sorted out now, thanks!

Also, there's a "Discuss" link at the top of artist pages you can use to automatically create threads linked to a specific person.
Old May 8, 2022, 10:52 AM

I suspect that both Takayuki Ishikawas may be the same person, to be honest. Notice how Namco Ishikawa's last work was around 1996-97 (PS1 Soul Edge, as far as I can see), while Konami Ishikawa's first work was in 1998 with Diver's Dream, and the Ishikawa at Namco was never heard from again after he left. While both have different Kanji spellings, it's possible that he may have changed it for whatever reason, maybe he wanted to dissociate from his Namco work. While I'm more familiar with Namco music, some of the dj TAKA stuff I've heard does have a similar style to the Namco stuff.

On the other hand, this would mean that he would've been about 18 when he joined Namco in 1993, which would seem rather young but it's still an adult age at least (Shinji Hosoe was the same age when he joined too). It's also possible that it's all just a complete coincidence, but I suppose we won't know for sure unless we get solid confirmation.
Old May 8, 2022, 03:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Old profile of the Konami Ishikawa from Konami's job recruitment info site: https://web.archive.org/web/20070215...e/v_sou01.html

* Graduated university with a German language major
* Didn't know what to do after graduating, but had always been involved with music, so eventually had the idea of being a game sound creator
* After university, enrolled at Konami's vocational school, Konami School, to learn about game sound production
* Hired by Konami in 1999

Based on all that, I'm extremely skeptical that he was previously a game composer for Namco before joining Konami, while he was at university.
Old May 9, 2022, 01:46 AM

Good find. Yeah, looks like it's just a big coincidence that both Ishikawas have slightly similar styles (although now that I think about it, probably not similar enough to be the same person) and that the one at Namco left not long before the other one joined Konami. Guess the Namco one is one of those many Japanese composers who vanished into obscurity and found another job, which is a shame as he had a nice style.