VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:57 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
Track 2-15 should be credited to Yuka Watanabe
Doesn't it just say Yuka-san in the liner notes? (D2M15 comment). Or does Watanabe come from another part of the booklet (or another source, even)?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:53 AM

Besides that "Yuka Watanabe" is special thanked in both the game credit and booklet, Yamane said Yuka was a sound programmer, and only Yuka working on sound program of Konami games I've found so far is Yuka Watanabe on OZ. The OZ staff rolls says the kanji is 渡辺愉香,(11:45~), and on the liner note of Curse of Darkness, part of which Yuka Watanabe scored, Yamane thanks to somebody called 愉香, so that's why I said she wasn't this Yuka Watanabe.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:34 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Interesting. Thanks for letting us know about these little blurbs.

Almost confirmed that 渡辺愉香 is the Castlevania composer, then! Maybe we should at least make an entry for now? (with the Kanji in a discussion, perhaps).

And now we know ofcourse, that the other Yuka Watanabe we currently have in our database, is not the same person that worked on Castlevania, so it definitely settles for a new entry.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:43 PM

Yep, you can go ahead and submit an entry (I think I should've done it earlier). I suspect 渡辺結花 is just a mistake, not worth being seen as a variation without some proof. Elebits's game credit (17:22~) also gives 渡辺愉香. I don't do facebook, but based on friends, this seems to be her page.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
Which is incidentally also what seemed to be the guideline when not accepting the in-game sound test titles as the absolute verb / official translation / primary track titles for the albums...
So, the in-game sound test shouldn't be a source for primary tracklists, eh? In a such case, there should be no justification for the current one. In fact, there's no translated tracklist available here at all. Anyone? In any case, the current tracklist from the sound test is just plain wrong.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 07:57 AM

First disc, track 18 and second disc, track 20 are two entirely different tunes, despite sharing the exact Japanese title , am I correct? (I think this is a first for the series)
Old Sep 24, 2015, 01:46 PM

Similar to the Circle of the Moon + Harmony of Dissonance album, on the Castlevania franchise page this album shows up as "Unclassified". Can a trusted editor please change it to "Commercial, Arrangement"?
Old Mar 11, 2017, 08:49 PM

I beleive the rejection to my edit (uses the Soundtest names as they appear in game) was in error
Old Mar 11, 2017, 09:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailikku View Post
I beleive the rejection to my edit (uses the Soundtest names as they appear in game) was in error
I only rejected the change to the English tracklist, which reflects the spelling, punctuation, and translation of the original Japanese tracklist. The sound test is something separate, and you uploaded that, so it's good. A sound test can be used to refine a translation when there is room for interpretation, but that track is pretty clear. Also, sometime people prefer for the sound-test tracklist to be the default one.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
... A sound test can be used to refine a translation when there is room for interpretation, but that track is pretty clear. Also, sometime people prefer for the sound-test tracklist to be the default one.
sound tests are often mistranslated because it's direct translation without the context behind the trackname
for example, I saw sound test for "night of azure" and that "Double Starlight" track is a bad and nonsensical translation
Old May 16, 2019, 05:00 AM

There's a track title/naming error here. Disc 2, track 22 is called "Basement Melody" (地下室のメロディー) both by the OST and the in-game sound test, but it's actually a different song from Haunted Castle called "Clock Tower Fear" (時計台の恐怖). I'm guessing they got confused because both appear on one track in some of the albums featuring Haunted Castle. I've gone ahead and added this info to the notes.

Also I've noticed we don't credit the origin of a lot of remixed tracks in Castlevania OSTs. Should we add this info to notes or just ignore it?

Last edited by Aifread; May 16, 2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old May 30, 2019, 04:55 PM

I'm a bit confused by the last sentence of the notes section.

Doesn't the note on this album about track 41 (https://vgmdb.net/album/2575) contradict what is written here about Basement Melody - or am I getting this backwards?
Old May 31, 2019, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
I'm a bit confused by the last sentence of the notes section.

Doesn't the note on this album about track 41 (https://vgmdb.net/album/2575) contradict what is written here about Basement Melody - or am I getting this backwards?
The track from Dawn of Sorrow is unmistakably Clock Tower Fear. If you play or look at footage of the clock tower level in Haunted Castle, you'll hear the same tune. Basement Melody plays in the previous level where you go through, well, the basement. I don't own that album you linked, but I do own this album where Basement Melody and Clock Tower Fear are separate tracks and are named correctly based on where they play in the game. If the tracks on the one you linked really are backwards, then that might explain how something got confused at Konami and we wound up with Clock Tower Fear in the underground area of Dawn of Sorrow where the real Basement Melody would have made more sense. I'm skeptical if those are actually backwards though because there are videos like this one with the same track length where both songs play seamlessly in the correct order as if they were mixed that way by Konami themselves. If my hunch is correct and the track on that album actually plays the songs in the correct order, then I'm guessing whoever wrote that note was only familiar with the song because of Dawn of Sorrow and didn't realize the track was misnamed.

Last edited by Aifread; May 31, 2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 07:02 PM

I watched a play-though of the game and see what you mean. I understand where I got mixed up. Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 07:16 PM

Is "Original Amber Scenery" an arrangement of anything else on the album? I was always under the impression it was an original piece, but I'm curious because this is one of my favorite pieces on the soundtrack and one of the main reasons I bought this album over the box set.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
Is "Original Amber Scenery" an arrangement of anything else on the album? I was always under the impression it was an original piece, but I'm curious because this is one of my favorite pieces on the soundtrack and one of the main reasons I bought this album over the box set.
It's an softer arrangement of "Subterranean Hell" from Dawn of Sorrow. Both melodies are the same, or at least "Amber Scenery" is based on that melody. It's the same with "Phantom Palace Fountain", which is a remix of Aria of Sorrow's "Phantom Palace".

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Jun 16, 2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 05:27 AM

Did this album come with a registration card? Or maybe all LC releases did not? Too lazy to check all of them.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxKiller65 View Post
Did this album come with a registration card? Or maybe all LC releases did not? Too lazy to check all of them.
Just checked the three I have on-hand and none of them have registration cards. Two of them I bought second-hand though, but they're complete in good condition with obi so I doubt they'd be missing anything else.

Last edited by Aifread; Feb 22, 2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 06:00 PM

Yeah I feel those "in-house" LC releases with no KICA number did not have any registration card, thanks for checking out yours!

Edit: That seems to be the case with GFCA releases too.

Both LC and GFCA releases, if my research is correct, are actually manufactured by Sony. I'm saying this because the sample copies I've seen have the same sticker covering the barcode that PS2/PS3 sample games have.

Last edited by LuxKiller65; Feb 22, 2020 at 06:02 PM.