VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 4, 2023, 08:38 AM

Question (SOLVED) The Brain Power Mystery

Last November-4th-on-a-Saturday was the dawn of my whole Mischief Makers dilemma. And yet I’ve got another such VGM mystery on my hands.

Perhaps everyone and their pet tarantula has heard “Brain Power” by NOMA, famous for its heavily-stuttering chorus. What’s less well known is that the vocals are all samples from the album Techno Trance Essentials, specifically from the “Fab Acapella” tracks.
Aside from the tracks being compiled by producer Doug Laurent, all the vocalists on the album have only been credited as “Vocal Acapellas (tuned on A)”, only naming their tracks in the album as “Bertha Acapella”, “Fab Acapella”, etc.

As such, we do not know exactly who was sampled in Brain Power, with our only detail being that the sample album calls him “Fab”. But I shudder to think how he feels about this crazy song, and I’m not sure if Laurent kept the proper credits.

Last edited by zerovision; Dec 7, 2023 at 01:11 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2023, 10:44 AM

Alright, so I think I’ve found something.

Through a bit of spelunking, I’ve learned that producer Doug Laurent also worked with a “Fab” by the name of Fabrizio Levita. Is it possible he could be the same “Fab” heard on the TTE album?

12-07 UPDATE! I have received email confirmation that yes, it is indeed Levita sampled in this song. Case closed, you can all go home now.

Last edited by zerovision; Dec 7, 2023 at 01:10 PM. Reason: SOLVED!