VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 19, 2019, 05:57 AM

Might be a bit off-topic, but I wonder if they'll release a FFVIII Revival Disc after nearly completely ignoring the 8th part of the series for so long (with exeption of that kinda necessary Dissidia appearances). I wouldn't be too surprised if they'll skip it and release IX after this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:23 AM

Why would they? The only reason VIII got ignored for mobile / console ports is because the current PC version's a direct port of the original; should they optimize a version of VIII for modern devices, I'm sure it'll be available everywhere and then some.

It's not like Xenogears has had a dedicated release since its original date and that and SaGa 1-3 all got revival discs to boot.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 03:54 PM

Anyone have any idea or guesses how far they'll go with these? Up through IX? I'm assuming SE won't do X or XII given the recent remasters.

Will they give this treatment to other series? Chrono? Parasite Eve? Saga Frontier? Final Fantasy Tactics?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
Why would they? The only reason VIII got ignored for mobile / console ports is because the current PC version's a direct port of the original; should they optimize a version of VIII for modern devices, I'm sure it'll be available everywhere and then some.

It's not like Xenogears has had a dedicated release since its original date and that and SaGa 1-3 all got revival discs to boot.
Yes, but Xenogears is a kinda independent game, but FFVIII has always been threated by SE as the black sheep of the whole series. To be honest, receptions are mixed about it (I'm one of those people who really like it as it was my first FF), but maybe they'll do a full remake after FFVII.

But it always makes me kind of sad that FFVII gets all the love and praise and other titles are overlooked. Same with FFV and VI (where are the remakes, SE? You did it with III and IV)
Old Apr 21, 2019, 09:59 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I find it hard to acknowledge SE is treating FFVIII as a black sheep when it is the second best-selling title in the series: 8.5 million copies as of 2013 (maybe FFXV more or less managed to cross that line if you add up all versions of the game, but still, it's an all-time best-seller for them).

I know the game wasn't ported to modern hardwares but it's most likely because of technical reasons, given how poor was the most recent PC port. However, I do think it's weird that they took the time and effort to rebuild FFIX in Unity but don't seem so keen on doing the same with VIII. But there are so many people begging for a new port that I'm pretty sure SE got the message.

I agree that it's sad that FFVII is always the most talked about game, and I'm already tired about the remake, but I'm also glad other titles finally get the recognition they deserve (yes, I'm thinking about FFXII).
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanasea View Post
...but it's most likely because of technical reasons...
This is generally what I've been hearing regarding them not doing much with VIII. I always hear bits about the game being assembled in a hasty haze and there isn't a good base to work from.

Of course, you could subscribe to my friend's theory that they can't remake it because the performer of "Eyes On Me" won't let them use that song anymore. Every time he brings it up I always roll my eyes in my imagination.

I'd correct him on that, but it's not worth doing.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 02:21 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
Of course, you could subscribe to my friend's theory that they can't remake it because the performer of "Eyes On Me" won't let them use that song anymore. Every time he brings it up I always roll my eyes in my imagination.
How that theory could even be possible when Faye Wong was hired to sing the track, and nothing else? Please do ask your friend some clarification how that theory even works.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
Yes, I want to know more about this theory, too It's like Hikaru Utada won't let SE use "Hikari" anymore, but I doubt it would stop SE to work on Kingdom Hearts haha.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 04:12 AM

Obvious saying "they aren't allowed to use the version of Eyes of Me" makes no sense -- they could very easily make another recording since they still own the music regardless of any issues with the perfiomer. On top of which, they ARE still selling the PC one so said theory makes even less sense.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGazelMinistry View Post
Anyone have any idea or guesses how far they'll go with these? Up through IX? I'm assuming SE won't do X or XII given the recent remasters.

Will they give this treatment to other series? Chrono? Parasite Eve? Saga Frontier? Final Fantasy Tactics?
I guess I got a quick, partial answer with the announcement of the Chrono Trigger Revival album.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 08:03 AM

How good are these revival discs? Are they remastered?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 08:48 AM

"good" is a bit too strong for qualifying these bds
afaik, it has no interest

Last edited by Phonograph; Aug 8, 2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 01:44 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I imagine that if one were just starting VGM collection in the last year, the Revival Discs may be interesting to have just to own them as a series.

But (1) they use the remaster audio, which were re-records done for legal rights purposes to publish without having to pay any money to NTT Publishing (for FFI-VI); (2) audio on Blu-ray isn't worth it unless it's offering me 5.1 ch, AND there's a good reason for it to do so (such as a live orchestra / chamber recording).

For my part, I can't help but see them as an expensive waste of a collector's item.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
"good" is a bit too strong for qualifying these bds
I usually get cold feet when people associate B-R with flawless quality. I have the original soundtrack and for me is as good as it is. I can't help wondering why remastering FF VII OST when a brand new FF VII game and OST will be here next year. Arranged and with "better instrumentation" some would say though.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:07 AM
Trusted Editor

Bluray media provide better quality, but only in the sense that the media is more robust. Also you have a real filesystem with working error detection and correction. Nothing of that is present for Redbook.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzito View Post
I usually get cold feet when people associate B-R with flawless quality. I have the original soundtrack and for me is as good as it is. I can't help wondering why remastering FF VII OST when a brand new FF VII game and OST will be here next year. Arranged and with "better instrumentation" some would say though.
Exactly like me. The original soundtrack release is pretty fine and as long there is no bonus material like newly arranged or remixed / unreleased tracks, it's not worth buying.

These "Revival Discs" are just another money making idea of SE, after the concept of their neverending releases of SE remixes like SQUARE ENIX JAZZ, etc.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:26 PM

I like the Revival Disc series because the Blu-ray works better as a dedicated listening format for me than a bunch of CDs; the visual component is part of it for me too. I do wish the overall recording and mastering were better, but I frankly can't generally tell the difference anyway unless I pull up a spectrogram.

On the note of *this* release though, did anyone else's included mp3s have audio glitches near the fadeouts? A good number of the tracks on mine have this, but I haven't tried redownloading or otherwise, so I don't know if it was a fluke or a bigger mistake like Calcabrina on FFIV's remaster & subsequent revival disc.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 02:38 PM
Trusted Editor

- Added track times from physical source
- Linked engineer
- Added limited Album Info (didn't bother writing up non-music related credits)

Note: This BD also has "bonus tracks" at the end similar to FFV OST Revival Disc. They are the same tracks as previously listed on the BD with the exception that they are merged into single tracks and put to different video montages compared to their direct "OST" counterpart. It is also interesting to note that the "OST" chapter for Words Drowned by Fireworks is the cut scene played out with Aeris, and the BONUS VER. is the alternate cut scene with Tifa.

They are as follows:

1. 闘う者達 ~ 更に闘う者達 ~ 神の誕生 (BONUS VER.)
Let the Battles Begin! - Fight On! - Birth of a God (BONUS VER.)

2. もっと急げ!~ 爆破ミッション ~ J-E-N-O-V-A ~ 完全なるジェノヴァ (BONUS VER.)
Hurry Up! - Bombing Mission - JENOVA - JENOVA COMPLETE (BONUS VER.)

3. 神羅カンパニー ~ 神羅軍総攻撃 ~ ウェポン襲来 (BONUS VER.)
Shrina, Inc. - Shinra's Full-Scale Assault - Attack of the WEAPON (BONUS VER.)

4. 花火に消された言葉 (BONUS VER.)
Words Drowned by Fireworks (BONUS VER.)