VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:01 PM

- No Achiwa
- Asano is back
- Three new names

I'm hyped.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:54 PM

How is Achiwa being absent a good thing? If anything, I want less Yanagawa.

Last edited by maina; Aug 9, 2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 01:34 AM

Because Achiwa tends to use the same structures over and over again. Everytime I hear a song from him I'm like "Hey, this sounds similar to ... from Atelier ..." Which isn't such a bad thing, 'cause it keeps the musical atmosphere safe and sound with its "typical Atelier music", but the recent years his tracks became more and more boring and uninspired in my opinion. What I love about him when he goes into his rock arsenal with his pumpin' battle themes. He and Hiramatsu on guitar make such a good team.

I don't even need a composer breakdown. Everytime I hear a panflute I know "Ah, it's Achiwa". And this can be pretty lame after some years.

It's basically the same with Motoi Sakuraba from Tales of / Star Ocean fame. He is a gorgeous composer, but tends to use same structures over and over again. I like Yanagawa and especially Asano, who aren't afraid to try something new with new styles. Achiwa however doesn't stray too far from his musical path. Well, he's the godfather of Atelier music since Atelier Marie from 1997, so no wonder.

But sometimes you just need a bit of fresh air and young, dynamic composers ...

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Aug 10, 2019 at 01:38 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 09:28 AM

I don't need a composer breakdown for Asano and Yanagawa either; they are just as easy to identify. Achiwa is certainly being complacent lately, but I happen to like his melodies and provided a different color than the others. He did show some improvement around the time when he worked on Yorukuni, which is one of his best works to date.
Asano is fine but I find Yanagawa's recent Atelier work quite uninspiring, he just gets way too many tracks each game than he's capable of handling. Which is a shame because he can do great as he has shown with the Toji no Miko mobage.
I don't mind new composers being introduced as long as it doesn't end up like Yorukuni 2, which was incredibly inconsistent in quality due to the amount of different composers working on that game.

Honestly I wish they would just release the Atelier Online soundtrack, I liked it a lot more than any of the recent mainline games. ACE did great there.

Last edited by maina; Aug 10, 2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:34 AM

azure 2 music was like blue ref, boring (bah there are always some interesting tracks but it's quite rare)
the only "recent" atelier game/music I like is firis, the rest is trashbin (lydie=no, lulua=no, nelke=BIGno and ThickThig shouldn't be an exception)

atelier online ost could be out, maybe around its 3rd-4th anniversary (sometime in oct 2021/2)
Old Aug 12, 2019, 06:20 PM

Hah, got some responses with that one. Basically what Mac_Tear said, though; I couldn't count how many times he threw a new title on top of 疾風, おもかげ, or Baumkuchen. He was fantastic on Marie and Noir Yeux Noire which I still listen to regularly, but after Viorate he repeated himself constantly, very much in Sakuraba fashion. I might notice some of the same with Yanagawa if I paid more attention, but I didn't have to even a bit with Achiwa. Asano's original track on Alchemy of Sounds was pretty worrying, but after Blue Reflection, Shallie, and Sophie, I still definitely want more (I'm not as picky as Phonograph :P ).

I have a ton of respect for the guy for his early work and couldn't imagine myself taking a different approach if contracted for the same job over and over that many times, artistic or not. In the comments for Nelke he even said something to the effect of being afraid of writing stuff that was too varied. But like many others I want to at least feel like I'm hearing something I haven't before when diving into a new soundtrack.

Last edited by Sherkel; Aug 12, 2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 04:06 AM

Sound preview:
https://youtu.be/FaimK_3ohUE
Old Aug 17, 2019, 08:53 AM

Nothing too interesting and that Asano track at the end isn't what I call trying something new. Pass.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 09:50 AM

Shoot, that was Asano at the end? I was the first dislike. :P
Old May 19, 2020, 01:08 PM

Well, this didn't live up to the hype at all for me, especially compared to the game...in short, it just doesn't sound like there's ever enough going on. Except in the battle themes, which I loved to death, but... :P

What do you guys think the future looks like for Gust soundtracks? Between this and Yoru 2 it seems like they're shuffling through and discarding new recruits at this point.