VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Animation Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 6, 2014, 01:43 PM

Default Recommended Vocal Collections? 80's/early 90's

Can anyone here recommend any good anime vocal collections or even solo artist albums, in the vein of:

Sailor Moon
Dragonball Z
Slayers
Urusei Yatsura/Ranma 1/2
Ah! My Goddess
Bubblegum Crisis
Nuku Nuku
Tenchi Muyo (I have the 6 CD boxset).
Tokimeki Memorial (okay, not really an anime, but I love the vocal collections from these)

So kind of looking for that 80's/early 90's Jpop song style, not the more modern Vocaloid/Lucky Star-type (although I love the Galaxy Angel vocal collections). I have a couple albums from Seiko Matsuda and that is essentially what I am looking for.

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 01:49 PM

ah oops, didn't see 80s/90s
nvm
Old Mar 6, 2014, 02:54 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I liked PATLABOR Complete Vocal Collection. Especially SCHAFT!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisto View Post
Yup, stuff in that vein be what I'm after. Thx!
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:56 AM

I highly recommend City Hunter dramatic master & dramatic master II, as well as City Hunter Sound Collection X & Y !
Old Mar 13, 2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcahest View Post
I highly recommend City Hunter dramatic master & dramatic master II, as well as City Hunter Sound Collection X & Y !
Holy shit, I saw Jennifer Cihi in there! She was the singer on the US Sailor Moon song albums. Small world, lol.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 04:49 PM
Trusted Editor

As anime vocal collections I would recommend:
- KIMAGURE ORANGE☆ROAD Singing Heart
- KIMAGURE ORANGE☆ROAD Loving Heart
- Legendary Idol Eriko - Best Hit Vocal (TYCY-5125)
- Megazone 23 - Vocal Collection (VICL-5044)
- Project A-ko Original Song Book

If you're looking at Jpop song style (not anime style song) from that era, then I would recommend trying first:
- Otohime Connection - Image Soundtrack (SRCL-2188)
- TO-Y - Original Image Album (32DH 775)
- Tokyo Babylon - Image Soundtrack (SRCL-2439-40)
- Tokyo Babylon - Image Soundtrack 2 (SRCL-2831)

These albums are tied to anime but pick up songs from non-anime artists. It's mostly pop-rock.

If by chance you get interested in some artists from one or other albums that people suggested you here in this thread, then you should dig in these artists' discographies. Back in the days, it is exactly what I did (I'm so old now ), slowly shifting from anime songs to pop.

Then I would recommend you looking at the following albums (female vocal only):
- Mari Hamada: Misty Lady / Blue Revolution (rock, in the vein of Bubblegum Crisis)
- Nav Katze: The Last Rose In Summer (eerie pop, close to what Akino Arai did in her early period) (they have 2 songs in Video Girl Ai soundtracks)
- Personz - No More Tears (rock in BGC style)
- PSY・S: Mint-Electric / Non-Fiction / ATLAS / SIGNAL (pop, some of their songs can be found in City Hunter, Otohime Connection & TO-Y)
- Rebecca - IV (soft rock)
- Tokyo Shonen - Kaeri Michi (pop-rock, can find 2 of their songs in Ranma 1/2 & Silent Möbius The Movie)
Old Mar 14, 2014, 06:23 PM

Thanks! I actually have some good experience with stuff from the era (when I was in Hawaii, I bought a ton of random Jpop CD's from the discount section of Book Off...I got a two disc Greatest Hits album from Personz, which was one of the best $3 I've ever spent. I also have Mari Hamada's Colors and a greatest hits album from Rebecca, both excellent, they're two I want to get more of. Also a couple Noriko Sakai albums, I knew her from Gunbuster). It was funny, I bought so many CD's I had to mail them home to the east coast -too many to take on the plane- and they were waiting for me at the door when I arrived home from Hawaii. It was close to about 60 CD's for around $250. lol, I went a LITTLE nuts.

I've been taking a deeper look at the Kimagure Orange Road franchise recently...It's like a Rumiko Takahashi anime without Rumiko Takahashi at the helm. Project A-ko Songbook has been on my buy list from Amazon Japan for the longest time (the English songs probably could have charted if they had been released to radio in the 80's...I always thought they were excellent).

I also have a couple seiyuu albums on the way to me. Kotono Mitsuishi, Chisa Yokoyama and Kikuko Inoue. No idea what to expect but based on their anime songs, hopefully their solo albums are similar. Also, Coco and Ribbon are both on my radar (I know both of them from Ranma...apparently Little Date and Equal Romance were big hits in Japan).

Feels like Jpop has really changed over the last decade. It's...I dunno, more aggressive, more like ultra cutesy power pop. I can only take the modern stuff in small doses.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonskald View Post
As anime vocal collections I would recommend:
- KIMAGURE ORANGE☆ROAD Singing Heart
- KIMAGURE ORANGE☆ROAD Loving Heart
- Legendary Idol Eriko - Best Hit Vocal (TYCY-5125)
- Megazone 23 - Vocal Collection (VICL-5044)
- Project A-ko Original Song Book

If you're looking at Jpop song style (not anime style song) from that era, then I would recommend trying first:
- Otohime Connection - Image Soundtrack (SRCL-2188)
- TO-Y - Original Image Album (32DH 775)
- Tokyo Babylon - Image Soundtrack (SRCL-2439-40)
- Tokyo Babylon - Image Soundtrack 2 (SRCL-2831)

These albums are tied to anime but pick up songs from non-anime artists. It's mostly pop-rock.

If by chance you get interested in some artists from one or other albums that people suggested you here in this thread, then you should dig in these artists' discographies. Back in the days, it is exactly what I did (I'm so old now ), slowly shifting from anime songs to pop.

Then I would recommend you looking at the following albums (female vocal only):
- Mari Hamada: Misty Lady / Blue Revolution (rock, in the vein of Bubblegum Crisis)
- Nav Katze: The Last Rose In Summer (eerie pop, close to what Akino Arai did in her early period) (they have 2 songs in Video Girl Ai soundtracks)
- Personz - No More Tears (rock in BGC style)
- PSY・S: Mint-Electric / Non-Fiction / ATLAS / SIGNAL (pop, some of their songs can be found in City Hunter, Otohime Connection & TO-Y)
- Rebecca - IV (soft rock)
- Tokyo Shonen - Kaeri Michi (pop-rock, can find 2 of their songs in Ranma 1/2 & Silent Möbius The Movie)
I have the official copy of KOR Singing Heart after I replaced the bootleg copy last year!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
Can anyone here recommend any good anime vocal collections or even solo artist albums, in the vein of:

Sailor Moon
Dragonball Z
Slayers
Urusei Yatsura/Ranma 1/2
Ah! My Goddess
Bubblegum Crisis
Nuku Nuku
Tenchi Muyo (I have the 6 CD boxset).
Tokimeki Memorial (okay, not really an anime, but I love the vocal collections from these)

So kind of looking for that 80's/early 90's Jpop song style, not the more modern Vocaloid/Lucky Star-type (although I love the Galaxy Angel vocal collections). I have a couple albums from Seiko Matsuda and that is essentially what I am looking for.

Thanks!
Would anyone like Urusei Yatsura Final Story? I'd recommend it although only one vocal track!

http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13808