VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:32 AM

Default Trying to identify this tune from a video game I can't remember.

I made a MIDI file of a tune that has become stuck in my head for months now, and I'm on a desperate mission to find what it's from.

I for some reason thought it was a tune from "The Neverhood" or "Conker's Bad Fur Day" but nothing on their soundtracks matches the tune.

Also I'm fairly certain I remember clicking around with a mouse only, as if this was a mouse based clicking game like a puzzler, but possibly a unique platformer or adventure game.

I have played games on PC from 1993 through present, but I'm certain it's a game at least 5 years old, possibly much more, closer to mid or late 90's?

It could also be a console game possibly, but I just can't place it.

The instrumentation I used was exactly and closely as I could remember each part:

Sneaky Jazzy Drum Ride Cymbals & Hi Hat
Upright Acoustic Bass
Acoustic Rhythm Guitar
Melody (chosen as "Choir" MIDI voice) supposed to be a Detective-like whistle, echoing as if walking through an alleyway.

I remember associating this tune with a detective-like feel, I suppose that's why I'm guessing it was a click-based puzzle adventure.

Please I beg you, does anybody recognize this? Possibly from an old popular website ad, a trailer, a screensaver, or a game? I'm losin' mah marbles! lol.

http://youtu.be/TflbGXcAJrQ
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:37 PM

It's been found!

The tune IS from "The Neverhood" but only the first batch of demo discs produced for it.

That's why my queries on youtube came up zilch, even when searching "The Neverhood Demo"

because later demos had different music.

This cut never made the official Original Sound Track List.

http://youtu.be/DVxx7fPhJHE

Written by a cool musician named Terry S. Taylor.

Check out this game, AND the full Soundtrack if you like creative, original projects. The

game is published from Dreamworks Interactive, and plays a lot like a 3rd person, 2

dimensional MYST concept, and here's the coolest part - It's 100% Claymation
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:13 PM

I'm glad you found it =)
I didn't know the song, but it's pretty cool =D
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:40 PM

I absolutely LOVE the Imaginarium soundtrack. Thanks for sharing this music, I had no idea that there was still unused music out there... I bought the re-release of the OST because it had the unused music and early demos, can't see why they left this one off there.

But while on the subject, here's one of my fav tracks, "Jose Felliciano": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS1BCUApwTc

Ya, love this game. Tracked down a copy of the PlayStation version years ago just to have the cleaner FMV's but was pretty sad to see the game was dubbed instead of subbed... So the voices are terrible. Especially Klog. *shudder*