VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Artist Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 17, 2008, 03:18 PM
VGMdb Administrator

So I was curious about whether this Yu Shimoda (doujin music guy) was the same as the Yu Shimoda who is a member of Inti Creates's sound team III. The III Shimoda composed music for Mega Man 9, worked on ZX Gigamix, and did something for Doraemon and Crayon Shin-chan DS games, none of which the doujin Shimoda mentions on his site. The name kanji are the same, but I wasn't really convinced they were the same guy.

The scans for ZX Gigamix and the MM9 OST say that the III Shimoda was born in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka. The doujin Shimoda doesn't list his birthplace on his site, but I dug around in archive.org and found a profile from 2004 that says he was born in 静岡県ウナギ市, or "Unagi/Eel City," Shizuoka. That's not the name of an actual city in the prefecture, as far as I can tell, but Hamamatsu is apparently famous for its eel farming and eel restaurants, harvested from the neighboring Lake Hamana. So I guess they are the same guy!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 05:19 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Maybe it's more politically correct for people not to mix their professional work with their doujin work, which could be a possible explanation why the pro work itsn't mentioned on the doujin site....

Although I'm not sure if other composers who are active in both fields keep them seperated or combined though.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:46 AM
Trusted Editor

Has there been any confirmation that Yu Shimoda is also YS http://vgmdb.net/artist/5105
I think it's very likely and the entry could be linked to him as an alias.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:42 PM
VGMdb Administrator

They are the same person. Yu Shimoda asked us a couple of years ago to keep the Yu Shimoda and YS artist entries unlinked, back when he was generally keeping his professional and doujin work/identities separate, and we felt it was a reasonable request.

It doesn't seem like he has a problem with that now, since he now lists his doujin works on his official site fairly prominently, and his MySpace and Twitter pages show his name as 下田祐 and YS. So it may be alright to relink the artists, but I don't think anyone's actually contacted him about it.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:29 AM
VGMdb Staff

In charge of Taito's new iOS/Android game Rakugaki Kingdom: https://rakugaki-kingdom.com/cast-staff/index.html

Guest composers: Kenji Ito, Noriyuki Iwadare, Hiroki Kikuta, Hideaki Kuroda, Yuzo Koshiro, Motoi Sakuraba, Yoko Shimomura, Yukio Nakajima, Michiko Naruke, Yasunori Nishiki
Main theme song: Haruka Shimotsuki
Old Aug 31, 2021, 04:25 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Yu Shimoda announced on Twitter that he is retiring from Taito (and Zuntata's sound team) effective today, after 4.5 years at the company.
https://news.denfaminicogamer.jp/news/210901b
Old Sep 11, 2021, 06:23 PM
VGMdb Advisor

He joined SNK !! Should be a good matchup.

https://twitter.com/Yu_Shimoda/statu...53115322306563