VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:04 PM

What does the note mean when it says "Tracks 17-26 Original Version"? Are the rest arrangements or something?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:34 PM

The soundtrack was originally composed with no constraint, and then optimized to fit Saturn and ST-V's internal sequencer which had only 0.5 MB memory space and didn't support ADPCM (ST-V might have more memory, but I don't know). So yeah, the rest is technically "arranged versions", but if it accompanies the game, we consider it as Original Soundtrack.

Incidentally, many of Sakimoto's scores were when sequenced, produced through the same process.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:16 PM

I see. So is the second half of the album the original recordings, and the first half is what appeared in game?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:01 AM

Ah, forgot my post above.

Track 01-16 = What Sakimoto originally composed with no constraint.
Track 17-26 = What Sakimoto then arranged for the Saturn / ST-V board, and what was used in the game.

So, while Track 17-26 are called "Original Version" in the booklet, the actual origins of the in-game music were Track 01-16, and Track 17-26 are arrangements of them. It sounds muddy, due to the hardware problem.

I used to wonder if another classification would be helpful in such a case, but now I think maybe we should simply classify whichever appears in the game as "Original Soundtrack", and then the rest as "Arrangement", since what matters most is whether the soundtrack sounds different from the in-game music, and how the soundtrack was crafted would have only secondary importance.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
The soundtrack was originally composed with no constraint, and then optimized to fit Saturn and ST-V's internal sequencer which had only 0.5 MB memory space and didn't support ADPCM (ST-V might have more memory, but I don't know). So yeah, the rest is technically "arranged versions", but if it accompanies the game, we consider it as Original Soundtrack.

Incidentally, many of Sakimoto's scores were when sequenced, produced through the same process.
Not calling you a liar but I didnt see any references to this on any page discussing the soundtrack either in english or japanese

Also the Saturn is perfectly capable of ADPCM
Old Oct 27, 2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombman View Post
Also the Saturn is perfectly capable of ADPCM
It isn't. The sample data is always uncompressed within the sound RAM, the SCSP/YMF292 lacks any sort of hardware audio decompression.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:01 AM

I don't see what you are arguing here the Saturn literally has a standard library called the adpcm playback library

Still need a citation on that "original version" bit
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:14 PM

You really don't have any idea what's the issue here, do you? What you are talking about is streaming, for which ADPCM support exists in software (but everything is doable in software given enough power, so that's essentially meaningless) so the recording takes up less space on the disk. Hardware support for compressed samples however is necessary to fit more samples in the limited sound RAM, if there isn't any less amount of sound data fits into the same RAM limiting the variety of sounds possible within a given sequenced piece. This is the case with the SCSP/YMF292.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 11:14 AM

I dont see how that contradicts my original statement... the Saturn is perfectly capable of ADPCM
Old Apr 17, 2016, 09:36 AM

If I'm understanding correctly, I think the issue is that, while the Saturn console itself is capable of decompressing ADPCM in software, the Saturn's sound chip is not capable of decompressing anything at all, meaning it must deal with uncompressed samples which will use more of its RAM, which is the key part here. Cedille's original reference was to the sound chip, not the Saturn itself, so it appears that he was correct. Of course, the statement that the Saturn console is capable of ADPCM is also correct, just not really pertinent.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 01:16 PM

To this day, one of my favourite soundtracks. What a great sakimoto score.