VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 4, 2017, 01:04 PM

The 丁 seems to be in reference to the 甲乙丙丁 ordering--each kanji means 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th in this case. It also appears in the main Nier Automata tracklist a bit too (e.g. 愚カシイ兵器:乙:甲, "Wretched Weaponry: Medium/Dynamic").
Old Apr 4, 2017, 07:20 PM

Is there a better translation to 丁 than "Ding" Many people are just calling 丁 as 8bit when referring to the Hacking Tracks. Ding doesn't seem like it gives a lot of meaning
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xakdrek View Post
Is there a better translation to 丁 than "Ding" Many people are just calling 丁 as 8bit when referring to the Hacking Tracks. Ding doesn't seem like it gives a lot of meaning
Ding is the chinese lecture of 丁 kanji. In japanese it can be read as "Tei", "Chou", "Hinoto".
I don't know about Nier Automata lore, but if it has relation with "甲 乙 丙" it can be read as Hinoto "火の弟" which means "little brother of fire".
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:24 AM
VGMdb Advisor

So there's no doubt in my mind that the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th thing is going on.

What *I'm* wondering is if there's a music theory terminology related to 甲乙丙丁 in China and/or Japan. That might give us something to work with better than "Ding" or "4th"

(Consider, it couldn't mean "4th arranged version," since most all the other songs do not have 3 other versions... It's like a 4th form, a place the song reaches when it hits its chiptune'd state.)

There is nothing in-game that gives any clues, at least not in the English localization. And I don't know anyone that would be "little brother of fire."

The game context clues for all this music are essentially that hacking is done almost exclusively by the character 9S. That, and the hacking that he does takes him into a simple geometric space, and visually, pre-hack, the (letter)-characters he sends out towards the enemies are the Seraphic lettering from NieR.

If anyone has any insights whatsoever, that'd be great. The only thing I can say for sure is that "Ding" doesn't sit well with me.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:23 AM

甲 = Dynamic
乙 = Medium
丙 = Quiet

丁 = 8bit (or 8-bit)
I think this is how the in-game jukebox translates it. Not sure though
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:34 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xakdrek View Post
甲 = Dynamic
乙 = Medium
丙 = Quiet

丁 = 8bit (or 8-bit)
I think this is how the in-game jukebox translates it. Not sure though
Oh snap, in-game jukebox! Excellent resource.

I ultimately made the decision to *spoiler*

Code:
sacrifice my save file for others
so I can't immediately access it ... I'd need a save file that got as far as 9S save file to see it I think.

If someone wants to confirm whether "8bit" or "8-bit" that would save the day.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 09:46 AM

"Tei" (chime) would be more synonymous with "chiptune", hence 8-bit.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:28 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Okay, the Jukebox tracklists in-game, I found some screenshots from the debug room, and the songs are titled in their English appearance as "8-bit."

I am changing the Ding/Tei to 8-bit on the tracklist. Anyone feel like this is a dumb decision, feel free to revert.