VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion > Organization Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 15, 2010, 11:46 AM
VGMdb Advisor

The archived website should help with the recent anime reprints. They have rather complete credits too for the main entries.

I'm not sure about their relation with Geneon Enternainment Japan though.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:23 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I found some info on wiki that says that they are a subsidiary of Geneon Entertainment. Also, the former name was Pioneer Entertainment (USA).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneon_..._Entertainment
Old Jun 16, 2010, 04:40 PM

Despite how nice it was to have translated booklets and inexpensive releases of anime soundtracks available in the US, the sound quality on these releases was terrible. I'm glad they don't release them anymore.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 05:08 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Interesting -- are they short of 'demastered', poor sources or bad cd pressing or such? I'd have thought they would do 1:1 copies of the originals.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Interesting -- are they short of 'demastered', poor sources or bad cd pressing or such? I'd have thought they would do 1:1 copies of the originals.
I think that they were compressed. The same sort of thing they do on pop music to make them seem louder. Comparing the bonus track on the Japanese print of Evangelion: Death to the equivalent track on Geneon's End of Evangelion album:

Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:16 AM

Also known as loudness war.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:04 AM

I don't think think I've ever heard something released by Geneon that wasn't a victim of the loudness war. Most vgm/a.osts in general, even.

I refuse to buy (and thus support) such tainted music.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:26 AM
VGMdb Advisor

That's a pretty sad trend indeed. Perhaps a note should be added in their albums so nobody falls for it.

Are all their albums like this or just older stuff? I assume newer Japanese anime albums are already loud enough and maybe Geneon didn't taint those.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:12 AM

I don't know. I only own the Eva albums. After I discovered what they were doing, I stopped buying from them. I paid more for the Japanese Victor prints of the Rahxephon OSTs because I didn't want to hear what they might do to them. I'm not the best person to ask, though, as I don't own that many anime OSTs in general.

If you put a note in, why don't you just add it to this page? I know it's not as visible, but it covers the whole spectrum of their output. In any event, Geneon is effectively dead, so it's no longer an issue. The Japanese albums are generally more available, if a little more expensive.

EDIT: By the way, both of the audio streams pictured above are uncompressed WAV files, so there's no additional compression applied to either.

Last edited by Xenofan 29A; Jun 17, 2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:42 PM

Even Japanese releases suffer from it to a certain degree. Alright, compared to mainstream American stuff it's miles better, but it could still be improved upon. Unfortunately few people understand or even know about the loudness war.

There is http://www.turnmeup.org/ which is helping to raise awareness, but honestly it's not hit off aswell as I had hoped. Square are quite bad for it too, mostly on their new stuff it's become a trend in recent years. The worst of the lot recently has been Metallica's death magnetic album, fortunately the vinyl was much better. Anyway, you'll most notice brickwalling on like I said mainstream American stuff and also on Jpop. Yuki Kajiura in particular is quite bad for it.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 06:03 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Pioneer (precursor to Geneon) USA had pretty bad translation jobs, too. Check the scans of the Ah! My Goddess movie soundtrack:
http://vgmdb.net/album/19381

You'd notice plenty of errors with Japanese names. "Shiro Hamada"?