VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:45 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

As said on the back cover, that album features works from composers in the videogame industry..

But the tracks and the album itself is not related to any videogame. It's music to be licensed and i don't think it should be here.
(this also concern all the other APM releases but the EA ones)
Old Jul 29, 2011, 05:51 AM
VGMdb Administrator

That sounds like a Works album, which would belong here (alongside stuff like Ten Plants.)
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:05 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Alright then.
I thought we rejected "library" (for licensement) music in the past.
There's a good number of solo albums that can be added then.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 06:09 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I guess I don't understand what is meant by licensing, then.

We don't include everybody's solo albums, but this album with a collection of music by composers, many of whom are known almost exclusively for VGM, is rather interesting.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:57 PM
VGMdb Administrator

I think what Myrkul means is that this is an album of library music, or music that's written with the intent of being licensed later by a game developer, movie director, etc. So this isn't really a "works" album in the sense we'd usually use it, but a production roll or a catalog really.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:02 PM

Actually... if someone has a copy of this album, listen to it.

I bought a CD released by APM Music a while ago - Gothic Drama. I picked it up thinking it was an original album of stuff by Tommy Tallarico, but I later found out that it was a soundtrack sampler for Evil Dead: Hail to the King! It was still technically library music, but it was real music from the game soundtrack.

Endgame is not the name of the album, but the name of the series. So this album should be titled "Endgame: Cinematics - Adventure Stories".

I'm willing to bet some, if not all, of the music in this CD actually came from games.

Last edited by Foxhack; Oct 26, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:35 AM
VGMdb Staff

I see this thread has been somewhat revived, so just a few words... It's pretty much normal for many composers in the west to release their original work as music library. It's true the music like that is meant to be licensed for, most likely trailers (that's why it's often called trailer music), and that it isn't used in any media (game, movie, advertisement etc) at the time of release. What may be an important thing (or not, who knows xD) is if such album is available to public. I mean there are certain groups, like "License to Thrill Music" (Inon Zur, Jesper Kyd, Michael McCann, Tim Larkin, nervous_testpilot) who also make music libraries but they are not available to public in any form (you can listen to some samples on the official site though), only tv/movie etc. companies can pay license fee for the tracks they want to use and by doing so access the full version of these tracks. But if a music library is made available (usually much, much later from the original, release date for companies) to the "normal people", either by CD or digital (iTunes most likely) release - which happens more and more, I personally don't see a reason why not to include such albums here, if they come from well known VGM composers and because they are essentially 'works' album. One such example is Jesper Kyd's "HYBRID", also a part of ENDGAME series, which made it to iTunes much, much, MUCH later.

Even if a CD release remains only purchasable by the companies, I guess it can't really hurt to keep info about those albums (music libraries). It's just that such releases aren't available to individuals

This was just my view, nothing more, so feel free to carry on lol

Last edited by Efendija; Oct 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 05:27 PM

You can still find the CD - it's hard to find, but I bought my Endgame album at a flea market booth. It just takes a little luck.

Anyway I just found my audio rips of my Endgame CD, so I'll add it to the database in a sec. I'll add scans as soon as I find the CD.