VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:15 AM

Default CVST-1000: Guwange / ESP Ra.De. Original Soundtrack

I just got this one yesterday, and there's a little issue that keeps bugging me. The style of music in here has quite a few spots where high frequencies are used, but in a way that somehow sounds like a click, as if the cd was scratched or something. This is most noticeable on tracks 6 8 and all of the early development version tracks as well. Not only that but that constant "flanger" like effect almost makes the music sound as if it was a low bitrate mp3 (tracks 1 and 10 are really good examples of this).
Am I just being paranoical and the cd is fine or does someone else experience this?
I just hope it's the first option.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 03:59 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Have you heard the music to either game before? I don't have the CD, so I can't tell you if anything went wrong with it, but Guwange's in-game music is really crunchy and lo-fi as you described, as verified by multiple rips. ESP Ra.De.'s music is a little bit better in sound quality. Do the same issues affect those tracks too, or is it just the Guwange half?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:28 AM

Yes, sure I have played (hundreds of hours actually ), the audio is downgraded in order for it to fit into the arcade PCB. The problem is that because of that you can't tell for sure if those "clicks" of high fequencies are actually there or not.
However, thinking about it now, this happens mostly on the Guwange tracks (the only esprade track to sound "weird" is Desperate School, but if I'm not wrong, it already sounded like that in the original DDP/ESP OST), so I'm willing to bet that all this is actually intentional, as most of the clicks repeat in similar points on the tracks I mentioned. I guess I'll have to wait for a gamemp3s rip or something to pop out to confirm it.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 07:28 AM

(Sorry for the double post, but I think it's better to bump the thread to let people know)

Finally got a hold of an .APE rip of another copy (probably coming from a japanese distribution site) and compared it to mine.
I can finally confirm that those clicks are indeed "intentional", as both copies had those clicks in the exact same positions. Which makes me think.... Most probably the source audio material for Guwange was unavaliable (either lost, erased or whatever) and they actually mastered the audio of the PCB. I would understand more those clicks in the developement versions, but for the original audio to have the same kind of "flaws" and "clicks" is somewhat suspicious.
Anyway, enough with paranoia; the disc is fine, and don't be surprised by those clicks. They are "normal".

MAH BOI, this peace is what all true warriors strive for!!