VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 31, 2009, 09:00 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

I wonder who the composer "T" is...
Old Nov 1, 2009, 04:24 PM

Could it be Teshigawara from the "Teshigawara & Michiru" credit on Curse of Darkness?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:33 AM

I think it would be better to use "Bequeathed Bloodlines" instead of "Bloodlines Bequeathed" for track 21.

That would keep intact the obvious relation with the other two famous pieces, Divine Bloodlines (Rondo) and Strange Bloodlines (SotN)

Of course, that's assuming that we prefer a better translation over the Sound Test dogma.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 03:24 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The title "Akumajo Dracula Gallery of Labyrinth Original Soundtrack" was swapped with "Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin Original Soundtrack" as a recent edit. I noticed that we tend to only use the English game title when it actually appears on the album in some form. Do we want to break with that convention for this album?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 03:40 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
The title "Akumajo Dracula Gallery of Labyrinth Original Soundtrack" was swapped with "Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin Original Soundtrack" as a recent edit. I noticed that we tend to only use the English game title when it actually appears on the album in some form. Do we want to break with that convention for this album?
I would vote to reverse this edit to follow what was decided in the Submission Guideline Restructuring Subforum. We could make an exception if the Japanese title would cause confusion with another game like here, but it's not the case.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 02:59 PM

why that 4th album title?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
why that 4th album title?
If you mean the 5th,
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=44709
Old Jun 4, 2011, 03:11 PM

huh no I mean the 4th and ah ok, there is a typo tho

Akumajo Dracula Gallery of Labyrinth Original Soundtrack
悪魔城ドラキュラ ~ギャラリー オブ ラビリンス~ オリジナルサウンドトラック
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin Original Soundtrack
Akumajo-Doracula -Galley Of Labyrinth- Original Soundtrack <-- 4th, to me
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:17 PM

.....T?

Any clue at all?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 01:46 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Maybe Tetsushi Takahashi → https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?p=48075
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:27 PM

The music for "Great Gate of Darkness" appears also in Dawn of Sorrow, but there it is called something like "Piercing Battle Fury," track 24. However, Dawn of Sorrow has a yet different track, 21, "Portal To Dark Bravery" which from what I can tell is in Japanese the same as Great Gate of Darkness. Does that mean somebody somewhere in the production got the names mixed up in one of these releases? I remember that it happened with Opus 13 and Slash from Rondo of Blood. Gate of Darkness and Piercing Battle Fury are thematically similar to each other and neither sounds designed to be especially catchy so I am much less surprised at this apparent error.

Last edited by Garnobium; Sep 23, 2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:29 AM
VGMdb Administrator

As far as I can tell, the albums are fine: "Portal To Dark Bravery" from Dawn of Sorrow (2.21 on LC-1453~4) and "Great Gate of Darkness" (1.23 on this album) have the same title and are the same song.

I think whatever you were listening to was mixed up or mistagged. Were you listening to physical copies of these albums?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 08:59 AM

Oh jolly good, that makes me feel better. It sincerely bothered me, beyond all reason.

Physical copies? I don't even know for certain that I have a cd player in this thing. I did check another online source than I had used to make "certain" this was wrong, and it is entirely possible they duplicate each others' errors despite using inconsistent track title translations; it is actually a "white fighting spirit" that is piercing over here.

I should not be surprised; Romance of the Three Kingdoms 3 consistently has several tracks omitted and others completely misnamed on six different websites just because nobody involved ever actually played it. But I thought people would pay more attention on a Castlevania. Perhaps it is a deliberate ruse to cause those without physical copies to reveal themselves!

Last edited by Garnobium; Sep 24, 2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 01:44 AM

These should be all the tracks from the game's Sound Mode which feature differing titles/spellings.
While not featured in the Sound Mode in goes without saying that the track, "Gallery of Labyrinth" would have been "Portrait of Ruin" had it been featured in the Sound Mode.

Jail of Jewel → Jail of Jewels
Chaotic Play Ground → Chaotic Playground
Cross on the Breast → Crucifix Held Close
Bad Situation → Troubled Times
Awaken from the Nightmare → Awakening from the Nightmare
Inheritance - Bloodlines Bequeathed → Bloodlines Bequeathed
Theme of Simon Belmont → Simon's Theme

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Apr 17, 2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 02:05 AM

Track 25 is actually an arrangement of ECLR (Area Clear BGM) from King's Valley II, an old MSX Konami game. I'll add this to the notes.

EDIT: CHz informs me that the same is true of track 24. Also added.

Last edited by Aifread; Sep 20, 2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 01:18 PM

This might be another instance where only the person who wrote it really knows, but what is "Gallery of Labyrinth" supposed to mean? If I'm understanding it correctly "ギャラリーオブラビリンス" does indeed translate to that, but is it one of those instances where it's left open to interpretation as to whether something is plural or whether or not a "the" is meant to be used? "Gallery of the Labyrinth," would make sense if Dracula's Castle is meant to be the "labyrinth" in this instance. Alternatively, "Gallery of Labyrinths" might make sense too seeing a several of the stages this time around are accessed through portraits painted by the antagonist, hence the title "portrait of ruin" in the English release.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 11:04 AM

My guess would be it's just more Engrish from the series that gave us subtitles such as Dark Night Prelude and Circle of the Moon. Whenever they stray too far from Japanese with their titles, it sounds a bit too literal and barely like natural English. Taking into consideration the game's "dimensions accessed by paintings" theme, the creators were probably going for something like "the labyrinthine gallery" (I often see people translate "[名詞]の" constructions as "of [noun]" even though an attributive adjective would sound more natural in English, see this example in Final Fantasy Legend) or your suggestion "gallery of labyrinths".

Edit: The Final Fantasy Legend example was not a very good one, it seems. I really don't know how the translator got from 「黒い封印が施されている」 to "Door is locked by magic of black".

Last edited by zierts; Aug 23, 2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 03:32 PM

Initially, I was thinking something along the lines of "The Labyrinthine Gallery" as well, though based on the Japanese text I don't think it can actually be read that way even though I feel that may still have been what they were going for, unless one of my other suggestions are correct.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 07:42 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I take they meant "(art) gallery of (pictures leading to) labyrinth(s)". I think ラビリンス can be used as plural, so "gallery of labyrinths" is probably what they had in mind.

"Gallery of Labyrinth" was officially given in various sources though.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
I take they meant "(art) gallery of (pictures leading to) labyrinth(s)". I think ラビリンス can be used as plural, so "gallery of labyrinths" is probably what they had in mind.

"Gallery of Labyrinth" was officially given in various sources though.
Yes, that would seem to make the most sense and it still maintains the way it's written out in Japanese unless "オブ" can be read as "of the," but I'm under the impression that it isn't supposed to be. As you said though "Gallery of Labyrinth" is what's used on official releases such as iTunes. I was simply curious to figure out what the intended meaning was since Gallery of Labyrinth is hardly proper English, but it wasn't immediately discernible with what they were going for when compared to something like "Concerto of Midnight Sun" which should obviously have been "Midnight of the Midnight Sun." That one is still especially weird in hindsight because they knew to use a "the" for Circle of the Moon, but not that one despite them being part of the same soundtrack release. Regardless, it might be worth mentioning that the track "Jail of Jewel" was changed to "Jail of Jewels" in the English Sound Mode so it seems quite plausible that they would have done the same for the original subtitle had they chose to maintain it for the English release.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 01:54 AM

Portrait of Ruin was mostly (maybe some 70%) former staff of KCE Tokyo around Koji Igarashi while Circle of the Moon was KCE Kobe. You can probably blame Koji Igarashi or someone else from the business side of the company for choosing this game's Japanese title even though they may not be the one who originally came up with it.

In any case, I think it's good not to overemphasise the value of such borderline English titles. It's fun to guess the meaning though.

Last edited by zierts; Apr 21, 2021 at 01:56 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 06:54 PM

What's the difference between game sound and original sound?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 08:48 PM

Original sound is how it was written using the original tools, game sound is after being rearranged with the final samples they used on the DS.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:22 PM

Oh OK, so LC-1453~4 and LC-1713~4 only have "game sound". So random. Looks like Portrait of Ruin is the only game where we got to hear what the pre-hardware sound is like?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:04 AM

I strongly suspect the unreleased trailer music for Dawn of Sorrow to also be "original" versions. The instruments sound similar and Portrait of Ruin used the original version of Gears Gone Awry in its trailers.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 02:05 PM

I was looking this one up on Apple Music today, and noticed each disc only has 32 tracks. While admittedly they call it a "Sound Selection," they specifically don't include Yuzo Koshiro's 5 contributions. So, two questions for the experts here:

1. Would we still add Apple Music and Spotify on THIS album as places to buy, even though it's incomplete? I don't know the rules around that or if it would be listed as a separate album.
2. Why the heck would they cut those in the first place? With re-releases or re-issues, I always assume it's a licensing thing. Did Koshiro have a different contract than the others, and Konami was like "eh, don't wanna get into that putting these on streaming, so just take 'em out"? I'm honestly more curious than looking to complain about Konami (though I also learned I Am The Wind on SotN was also removed on digital platforms...).
Old Oct 13, 2022, 03:44 PM

I don't know the answer to 1, but for 2 it's because Koshiro was outsourced and he has been obsessive about owning the rights to his music ever since he left Falcom in the late 80s (incidentally this is also why he's one of the few composers who is credited individually on the recent box sets). I guess Konami doesn't bother paying royalties to third parties for digital releases which is probably what tied up I Am The Wind too.

Last edited by Aifread; Oct 14, 2022 at 02:25 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 01:39 PM

Wow, that's unfortunate. Didn't Koshiro write "Gears Gone Awry"? Kind of stinks you can't DL one of the album's best tracks IMO.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 11:04 AM

Booklet 1 confirms that Yuzo Koshiro is the rights holder to the tracks composed by him.

Edit: For later reference, here's the track titles from the game's Sound Mode feature (US release). Track 1 from the album is the only one missing here since it's streamed audio used in the opening FMV (curiously, this album's "Original Sound" version of that track is slightly different from the "Game Sound" version even though they could have just used the "Original Sound" version if it's prerecorded audio anyway):

Code:
000 Invitation of a Crazed Moon
001 Silent Prison
002 Jail of Jewels
003 The Gears Go Awry
004 Gaze Up at the Darkness
005 Hail from the Past
006 Victorian Fear
007 Chaotic Playground
008 The Hidden Curse
009 Sandfall
010 In Search of the Secret Spell
011 Iron Blue Intention
012 Behind the Gaze
013 Crucifix Held Close
014 Troubled Times
015 Overture
016 The Looming Threat
017 Destroyer
018 Piercing Silence
019 Dance of Sadness
020 Esquisse of Violence
021 Banquet of Madness
022 Awakening from the Nightmare
023 Bloodlines Bequeathed
024 Great Gate of Darkness
025 Portrait of Destiny
026 Birth of War
027 Name Entry
028 A Small Prayer
029 Operation "VK"
030 Game Over
031 Meeting of Destiny
032 Thirst for Blood
033 Faraway Days
034 The Night Flows
035 Simon’s Theme

Last edited by zierts; Dec 23, 2022 at 03:04 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 06:06 PM

Huh! I was curious if that was it, but good to have confirmation. Thanks, all! I mean, I still wish if it was a thing that could be solved by Konami paying royalties (same with I Am the Wind)... that they'd do it so full albums were available. If only for preservation's sake, you know?

Again, thanks for the information.