VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 16, 2017, 08:42 PM

I'm not 100% sure on this but Sega Saturn may be applicable to put under platforms represented. The sound effect tracks may be taken from Battle Arena Toshinden Remix on the Saturn rather than the PSX original. Some of the quotes were changed in Remix and I noticed some of those changes were reflected within these tracks.

Edit:

Additionally, you could add Battle Arena Toshinden 2 to the list of games represented. Sho's Theme contains the additional part/section that was added in Battle Arena Toshinden 2.

Last edited by Brad Evans II; Jun 16, 2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
I'm not 100% sure on this but Sega Saturn may be applicable to put under platforms represented. The sound effect tracks may be taken from Battle Arena Toshinden Remix on the Saturn rather than the PSX original. Some of the quotes were changed in Remix and I noticed some of those changes were reflected within these tracks.

Edit:

Additionally, you could add Battle Arena Toshinden 2 to the list of games represented. Sho's Theme contains the additional part/section that was added in Battle Arena Toshinden 2.
I know I wrote this eons ago, but I'm obviously wrong here. I didn't know the PC version had reworked voice acting. After watching some videos, this is clearly from the PC version. My bad.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 08:07 AM

I've done some more research on this as I ordered a copy of the PC game to check out the audio on it. There were a few surprising things:

- Despite being redbook, the music sounds rather compressed to the versions on the soundtrack.

- Ellis' theme on the soundtrack is a "Remix" not a "Retake". She gets a "Retake" in the Redbook Audio of the game, and obtaining the game itself seems to be the only way to obtain it. Unfortunately, this means you can't obtain it uncompressed.

- Some of the tracks are a little different in the redbook. For example, Eiji's theme starts out with some additional percussion that's not included on the soundtrack.

- The big shocker for me was you actually get access to the Character Select screen theme with this disc! Yay! I loved that piece and now I have access to it. I wonder if I can get the Character Select theme from the second game via it's PC port's redbook if it uses it.

- Of course, we get a copy of "Andy's Asteroids" from Earthworm Jim thrown in because Earthworm Jim is a hidden playable character in the game.

- There's an additional jingle thrown in here; I have no idea where it's from. (Edit: I remember now. Continue Theme)

Last edited by Brad Evans II; Aug 10, 2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 07:00 PM

I think I somewhat have to amend the above with a caveat since I've working with this audio.

When ever you start a track in your media player of choice, there is a small popping sound when the track starts. I thought this would go away when I actually ripped the disc with my media player, but it didn't. However, I was able to make it go away when I loaded the raw track data into my music editor and fiddled with the tracks that way. I'm not sure what would cause that, but I'm glad I could find a work around.

Also, on a side note, am I the only one who kind of loves Battle Arena Toshinden? I mean I know the games aren't good, but I'm talking about the world and characters - save for 3 and its stupid clone characters. Yes, I know the characters are cardboard cutouts that have very little personality, but I like them for some dumb reason. That said, it's probably no surprise I think the music is the best element of the series.

Also, I never understood why each game looked progressively worse than the one that came before it. Toshinden 2 supposedly pushed more polygons but the first game always looked better to me. I don't know why.

Edit:

The Toshinden 2 part of Sho's Theme on the soundtrack is exclusive to the soundtrack, the version on the PC game just sticks to how the track was in the first game.

Also, I take back what I said about the audio being compressed. I think there were intentional changes between the source of audio here. I like some of the PC versions more and I like some of the CD versions more. Interesting to compare these two sources needless to say.

Last edited by Brad Evans II; Aug 10, 2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 04:16 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

I added a larger, clearer image of the Obi for this one. The old one can be deleted. I also added an image of the front and back of the registration card.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 05:09 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

The opening of track 10 contains part of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. I'll add Bach in the composer field.