VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:30 PM

Default VGM World Closed Down?

Hello All,

I wanted to tell everyone that it seems that the great VGM World has closed it's doors for good. The last time I was on the website it had a huge red banner that said "Closing Down Sale" or something like that. I have talked to Kahori, the owner, about it and it seems that this is certainly the case. Kahori left a farewell message on the company's Facebook page as well. I don't know how things are being handled as the website still comes up on Google search and other search engines.

The screen shot taken from the website still shows what I remember from the last time I was on there, but it's probably because of old internet cache. Kahori also said that the domain name would go up for sale, leaving it open to be used by someone else sadly. Just wanted to let everyone know this if they didn't already know. I didn't see anyone posting about it or talking about it so I figured I would mention it here. The VGMDB account titled "VGM World" strangely is still active, but obviously nothing seems for sale anymore. If anyone knows anything else concerning the supposed closure, please enlighten me. Oh how I would love to be wrong about all this.

Last edited by thedreamtraveler; Jul 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:07 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The site is still up and functioning here... I think the site will remain until she actually gets rid of it all (I doubt that'll actually happen though...)

EDIT: In fact, that red banner has been up for several months now, so I don't think you need to worry.

Last edited by Nisto; Jul 24, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:50 PM
Trusted Editor

Also working here. In fact I was wondering if the closing down message might be entirely fake, since there is still new stuff which gets listed (see the "New Arrival" page) on a regular basis.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:20 PM

It seems as said it is staying open until inventory is sold or just trimming as mentioned on the twitter account, also moved to new servers lately.

July 12
"We will be moving to a new server in the next few days. Our websites may not be available from July 14th - 17th, 2012. Thank you!"

July 20
"All our websites are running smoothly on the new server and our shop is ready for your orders!"
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidAcid View Post
Also working here. In fact I was wondering if the closing down message might be entirely fake, since there is still new stuff which gets listed (see the "New Arrival" page) on a regular basis.
I don't think it's fake. When I last emailed her a few weeks ago I was trying to negotiate some lower prices on items since her closing message said reasonable offers would be entertained. This was the first time in all my years I had shopped there that I found out that a lot of her inventory is actually consigned items. That's why we sometimes see such ridiculous prices on some albums; the seller sets the price she just takes a cut of the sale.

I'd bet that the majority of it all is consignment.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbfish View Post
I don't think it's fake. When I last emailed her a few weeks ago I was trying to negotiate some lower prices on items since her closing message said reasonable offers would be entertained. This was the first time in all my years I had shopped there that I found out that a lot of her inventory is actually consigned items. That's why we sometimes see such ridiculous prices on some albums; the seller sets the price she just takes a cut of the sale.

Some years ago, she was listing ebay auctions with outrageous prices ($300-$400 range BIN's). It was the same deal and given her reputation, they seemed really out of place. I'm not surprised her shop items are from other sellers.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:04 AM

I figured I would share the message that Kahori posted on the CocoeBiz.LLC Facebook page: (Note it was posted June 10th, 2012)

"As is June 11th 2012, CocoeBiz LLC has to announce that my activities will be active after shutting down the VGMWorld.com (If that case, this domain name of this shop might be for sale). Anyways.... More world covered --something-- might be in he center of Coco, need to go out of JP? Take me, Need a middle person to have your meeting smoothly? maybe... ? anyways... my focus will be ON Hearts ON MUSIC, ACTS and more. Thank you our dearest friends, you all are the "Hero" to each moments, to each time new music created... Pls don't forget, you, you, you, and all of you here and <hm.. just eading this wall>ppl are the ONE to keep your dreams, enjoy your life, deal with your worries and heading to your happiness.

This is basically, Coco (me) wanted to do. Simply, that is the CORE of coco.
Many more thanks, and will keep update for furtherer information. Arigatou!"

This is what I read some time ago which made me think that she is closing down the shop for good along with that red banner at the top of the website. I don't think that she would post this and not close down VGM World. Nothing indicates anything different, in my opinion as much as I would love to know that she was keeping it open for business. I too know about the whole consignment deal as I have ran into that a couple of times. I tried to get in touch with her about the remaining stock, but got nothing back yet. It seems the economy has taken yet another great company, unless she is closing down of her own free choice...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbfish View Post

I would agree with you on that as, by now anyways, most of the items that are left are probably from other outside sellers. Either way it's still a shame, glad I picked up some great items from her through the sale and what not.