VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:07 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Death dates only show on artist pages if the full date is defined, so if we only know the year, there's no indication that the person is deceased. See Hidehito Aoki's page for an example.
Old Apr 12, 2009, 03:13 AM

Cover images for these two albums:
http://vgmdb.net/album/9815,
http://vgmdb.net/album/9816
have an unnecessary EOL (0x0D 0x0A) at the end of the stream (I happen to have exact same images, only two bytes shorter).
Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:24 PM
VGMdb Advisor

While using the translation search I found this mysterious entry. Search for "(from Bahamut Lagoon 「決戦!」)", and that will link to http://vgmdb.net/album/3938, but it doesn't exist (or that's what *they* wants us to believe...)
Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:55 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Looks like you found a phantom tracklist that isn't connected to any album. Usually, the tracklist is deleted when the album is, but something apparently went wrong here. By the way, that track originally came from this album:

http://vgmdb.net/album/5126

but was apparently deleted as a duplicate. The parenthetical part wasn't added to the Japanese tracklist for the current entry, even though it's here:

http://www.vivix.info/serenade/nm.htm

Anyway, we'll probably have to run some cleanup on the tracks database at some point. Luckily there aren't too many instances like this.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:05 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Search terms are now highlighted (bolded black text on yellow background) on the results listing. This requires Javascript to work.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:26 AM

I just noticed it, much better now.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 03:05 PM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
Search terms are now highlighted (bolded black text on yellow background) on the results listing. This requires Javascript to work.
To be honest i don't like it much for 2 reasons:

- i don't see the point of highlighting my search string.. i already know that every answer the database will return will obligatory contain my search string.
So what is it for actually? to just see your search string is in the middle of the album's title?

- 2nd reason is better i think (or not ?)... let's say my string search is the exact name of an album.. everything will be highlighted and thus will make it impossible to see if it's a promo album or not.. or even doujins..
I wanted to search for the Baroque PS2 remake soundtrack, my search string is "Baroque", but the first answer is a doujin (that i can not identify anymore since it's all highlighted in yellow)

(this yellow on every answer is very disturbing while you'r used to "mostly" that light blue color for "official releases")

not on the same subject but i just got that error: "Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/albums-search.php on line 1079"

Last edited by Myrkul; Apr 18, 2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 03:22 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Myrkul has a great point. Maybe a compromise would be to Italicize it.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:01 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Just bolding the word without highlighting seems fine, but italics could work just as fine; both worth trying.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:05 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Both problems fixed.
Old May 11, 2009, 08:50 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Albums aren't propagated up through more than one artist page. For example:

Kyukyoku is an alias of kyu is an alias of Nhato

Kyukyoku's albums appear on kyu's page, but not on Nhato's.

(I'm not entirely sure if the alias hierarchy there is correct, specifically Nhato being a parent of kyu and not vice versa, but that's beside the point.)
Old May 15, 2009, 02:23 AM
VGMdb Administrator

VGMdb front page and album thumbnails now have 200% more rounded corners! CSS is a lot more cleaner, too.

More importantly, you can now access the submission pages for artists and labels through the big plus (+) icons that appear when you hover over the main navigation.
Old May 15, 2009, 04:09 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Nice modifications.

I added the first "single" style album since the additions.

The display image in the front page is just anchored to the left side, is it normal?
Not really esthetic, but singles display was never really done nicely anyway..
Old May 15, 2009, 04:12 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Nah, forgot to center the image. The CSS is fixed now.
Old May 15, 2009, 04:25 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
VGMdb front page and album thumbnails now have 200% more rounded corners! CSS is a lot more cleaner, too.

More importantly, you can now access the submission pages for artists and labels through the big plus (+) icons that appear when you hover over the main navigation.
Awesome stuff! I'm going to enjoy having those plus buttons for sure.
Old May 16, 2009, 06:51 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Not really a bug.. but i don't want to ask that in the recent Jojo album discussion sice it would be off-topic.

But on this recent thread, SS posted a link for that album "Edit History".

I did not know there is an "Edit History" for albums..

Was it intended to be staff access only?
Or if anyone can check it.. maybe you could add a link under the "Edit" dropdown menu ?
(or it's something visitors would not care to see anyway..)
I personally found that interesting and usefull.
Old May 16, 2009, 07:20 AM
VGMdb Administrator

You can get to the history by clicking on the little arrow next to "Edited by" on the bottom right of the album pages. It was experimental, and I still need to add a bunch of stuff to it, but we could probably add it to the drop-down menu.
Old May 16, 2009, 07:24 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Oh thanks, i never tryed to click these little arrows.
I though they were only part of the design
Old May 19, 2009, 04:40 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Searching for Under Defeat -Extended Tracks- (without quotes) takes you immediately to Under Defeat -Sound Tracks-, whereas searching for "Under Defeat -Extended Tracks-" (with quotes) takes you immediately to Under Defeat -Extended Tracks-. What is wrong with the first case? Is it seeing -Extended as minus "Extended"?
Old May 19, 2009, 04:49 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Of course. In search engines (e.g., Google), a leading minus on a word is pretty universally interpreted as a directive to exclude that word.
Old May 23, 2009, 05:48 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I got rid of the redirects when you click on an existing Artist or Org discussion. I'd missed those before.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:45 AM
VGMdb Staff

Someone might have spotted this already, but I just noticed that the list and gallery views for scans both show up when you click on 'gallery' and 'list' in succession on any given entry.

(I also noticed the changes to the side-bar help text on the album edit page, it looks great.)
Old May 24, 2009, 10:02 AM

I honestly thought that was intentional... I don't think it's bothersome, as much as it is cumbersome, aesthetically speaking, of course.
Old May 25, 2009, 01:30 PM

The new site footer is too wide, even in 1024x768, causing a horizontal scrollbar. Personally think the old one was better.
Old May 25, 2009, 01:47 PM
VGMdb Advisor

New footer looks great, I like being able to see that little headphone guy on all pages.
Old May 25, 2009, 02:44 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbfish View Post
The new site footer is too wide, even in 1024x768, causing a horizontal scrollbar. Personally think the old one was better.
It's supposed to be capped at 1024 pixels. I'll see what's wrong.

By the way, the site design will focus on a minimum of 1024x768 from now on. Anything lower than that comprises less than 2% of our visitors, according to analytics.

Edit: it should be fixed now.
Old May 25, 2009, 05:51 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
Someone might have spotted this already, but I just noticed that the list and gallery views for scans both show up when you click on 'gallery' and 'list' in succession on any given entry.

(I also noticed the changes to the side-bar help text on the album edit page, it looks great.)
Interestingly this seems like a jQuery 1.3.2 bug since it worked properly before. I tweaked the code and the problem still persists. Maybe I'll have to use a different approach.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:11 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

This is an old issue.. but i don't remember i could NOT click on the "Save Changes" button before.

Issue: when the "save changes" button is going under the bottom text on the page, you can't click on it.
Old May 26, 2009, 11:30 AM
VGMdb Staff

Just a little question about the 'feat' checkbox on any given artist edit page; do we use this only for unofficial releases (i.e doujin) or also for official ones where the original artist had no involvement (e.g Uematsu and this album)?
Old May 26, 2009, 12:29 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrkul View Post
This is an old issue.. but i don't remember i could NOT click on the "Save Changes" button before.

Issue: when the "save changes" button is going under the bottom text on the page, you can't click on it.
I think this happens while you are uploading scans, and the new ones appear on the left column, but the page isn't resized. I think it's fixed when you re-enter the Manage Album page cleanly.

Also, you can always hit the Enter key in any field on the form, and it's interpreted as a Submit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanne View Post
Just a little question about the 'feat' checkbox on any given artist edit page; do we use this only for unofficial releases (i.e doujin) or also for official ones where the original artist had no involvement (e.g Uematsu and this album)?
It seems like we are doing this in general now, but it still seems kind of gray to me, and in general we can't tell how involved someone is. I wouldn't use 'feat' on the album you linked because 1) Uematsu was involved with the album as a producer; and 2) this is a remake of Final Fantasy IV, so it's hard to make the case that it merely features the music of the original composer.

In fact, I'd personally restrict the 'feat' classification to albums where themese were 'borrowed' for use. This includes all those cases where classical pieces and anime themes are used in game soundtracks, as well as doujin and fanmade arranges. I'd hate to see this used for compilation albums. Moreover, a lot of official arrange albums could end up moving off of the regular discographies if we follow this literally.

There are some differing opinions here on this subject of course.
Closed Thread