VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:51 PM

are you able to provide any sources for them?
seriously though. i'm amazed.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 01:34 PM

No offense, but until you give some sources, this list is about as credible as kyubihanyou's composer breakdowns.

Pretty amazing if it's legit, though.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 09:33 PM

Thank you ^^
Old Dec 1, 2010, 09:47 PM

I can't give source if there's no websites or anything. It's all done by talk and such. I really wish I could give you a link or something but you can use common sense as well.

Koji Kondo's credited some tunes but was arranged by someone else.

We all know that Kenta did the Title song so he obviously did 2-26 & 2-30 and 2-33 & 2-38.
He did the opening sequence (1-03) so he obviously did Sage Frodo & Raruto.

Koji Kondo did Beedle's Shop & Graaandma (that's all new he did). He did other tunes like 'get item' and 'get heart container' etc but it's arranged by someone else.

Toru Minuegish did Battle & Mini-Boss Battle, however all the main boss battle were done by Hajime Wakai.

Hajime Wakai did Forest Haven and Inside forest haven. Look Basically from what I'm seeing here is that if a song uses a LOT of marimba's, Xylophones and Vibraphones and cutsie style most of the time..... it's Hajime Wakai.

Kenta Nagata did Aryll's Theme, therefore did EVERY single song with that theme in it, like the Ending song. That means he did 1-19 & 1-20. It's also common sense because why would a composer let another composer do the song they wrote?

Oh, and 'Farewell Hyrule King' was done by koji kondo but arranged by kenta nagata.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 02:11 AM

yeah the credits you gave pretty much line up with my expectations, with Nagata carrying the weight of the score and Wakai offering his unique blend of whimsy here and there. Although not credited for some of the tunes currently, I'm convinced he did the entire Forest Haven section of the game. Also Gohdan battle is very him (quartals! quartals everywhere!) As for Minegishi... his role was probably small. It may be that the battle music was all he did, like with Majora's Mask (would not be surprised, making interactive music like that is a big job by itself.) I don't think it was correct about him doing cutscene music, I think it may be a misinterpretation of "synchronize music with character".

For the reprised songs that Kondo originally wrote, do you have arranger credit breakdown for (any of) those?

if you're unable to provide sources (not easy for stuff you get word of mouth), it might be best to keep this information to this thread. Unless it can be proven it's not really kosher to put on album pages. personally I think this is all accurate so I've given it the benefit of the doubt myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizen1984
until you give some sources, this list is about as credible as kyubihanyou's composer breakdowns.
in fairness to kyubihanyou, his are not aiming to be credible, he freely admits that what he does is just speculation. we've pooled some good knowledge in those threads though.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 02:27 AM

Guitarist500, who exactly did you talk to? Most things to be based on what I already summarised, although I'm interested if the new bits (like Nagata's arrangement role or Minegishi's battle role) have a veritable source.

Quote:
in fairness to kyubihanyou, his are not aiming to be credible, he freely admits that what he does is just speculation. we've pooled some good knowledge in those threads though.
Although I did see these breakdowns in at least one album page (forgot which one), which is quite misleading.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 04:28 AM

Since most members here seem not to be fully convinced yet, I regret that I'd reject Guitarist500's edit, if he doesn't provide more to support credibility by a certain time. Same applies for his other or any further edit. We'd accept information somebody gets by word of mouth, mostly when the person is connected enough to the industry (SEMO or OSV members can qualify as such). Of course, the best scenario is that I (or we) turn out to be too skeptical and closed.... In that case, I'd apologize.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 06:53 AM
VGMdb Administrator

I agree with the consensus here, so I've moved the new info from Guitarist500 here.
Quote:
Composed by:

Disc 1:
Track 01: Kenta Nagata
Track 02: Koji Kondo
Track 03: Kenta Nagata
Track 04: Kenta Nagata
Track 05: Koji Kondo
Track 06: Kenta Nagata
Track 07: Kenta Nagata
Track 08: Koji Kondo
Track 09: Kenta Nagata
Track 10: Kenta Nagata
Track 11: Hajime Wakai
Track 12: Hajime Wakai
Track 13: Toru Minegishi
Track 14: Hajime Wakai
Track 15: Kenta Nagata
Track 16: Koji Kondo
Track 17: Kenta Nagata
Track 18: Kenta Nagata
Track 19: Kenta Nagata
Track 22: Kenta Nagata
Track 24: Kenta Nagata
Track 28: Kenta Nagata
Track 30: Koji Kondo
Track 31: Kenta Nagata
Track 35: Koji Kondo
Track 36: Koji Kondo
Track 37: Koji Kondo
Track 38: Kenta Nagata
Track 40: Toru Minegishi
Track 41: Kenta Nagata
Track 46: Koji Kondo
Track 56: Hajime Wakai
Track 51: Kenta Nagata
Track 57: Hajime Wakai
Track 62: Hajime Wakai
Track 63: Hajime Wakai
Track 65: Kenta Nagata
Track 67: Koji Kondo

Disc 2:
Track 01: Hajime Wakai
Track 05: Kenta Nagata
Track 06: Kenta Nagata
Track 07: Kenta Nagata
Track 08: Kenta Nagata
Track 09: Kenta Nagata
Track 10: Kenta Nagata
Track 13: Koji Kondo
Track 15: Koji Kondo
Track 16: Koji Kondo
Track 17: Koji Kondo
Track 19: Kenta Nagata
Track 20: Koji Kondo
Track 21: Koji Kondo
Track 27: Hajime Wakai
Track 24: Kenta Nagata
Track 25: Kenta Nagata
Track 26: Kenta Nagata
Track 29: Hajime Wakai
Track 30: Kenta Nagata
Track 32: Kenta Nagata
Track 33: Kenta Nagata
Track 34: Kenta Nagata
Track 35: Hajime Wakai
Track 40: Koji Kondo
Track 46: Hajime Wakai
Track 55: Koji Kondo
Track 56: Kenta Nagata
Track 57: Kenta Nagata
Track 58: Kenta Nagata
Track 59: Kenta Nagata
Track 60: Kenta Nagata
It's exciting that you got this information, but we just need to know more about the source, since it's not referenced anywhere.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 02:28 PM

@Raizen1984
Very true on my part. I was (and still am) about bringing inertia if only to get an ends to my means. Now I just know better and use more reliable means... with great results, I might add.

Guitarist means well; he helped me with Mario composer information that came from the interview from the Super Mario History album page, which I did not know existed at that time. His intentions are pure, and his motives clearly exceed mine to an indefinite amount. I trust him as well as his findings.

However, please do two things in the future, Guitarist:

1) Any credit is better than no credit (I learned that the hard way). As you can see, it's indisputable here; that's why I now shine light upon the liner notes nobody else seems to look at. Can you at least provide a date or time when these occurred? Did you keep any record at all during your travels? At the very least, say they're unofficial, or else your reputation will go straight down the gutter, as mine nearly did.

2) Keep these breakdowns in the threads as Blitz said. The last thing this site needs is another one of me running around causing all sorts of trouble. XD
Old Dec 6, 2010, 02:28 AM

Very Well everyone.

However, the very least most of you can do is have a look at the THE LEGEND OF ZELDA Series for Guitar - SUPER BEST page. This is where I got good info from.

And many tracks come from the 'title' track therefore Nagata did various others like ones with solo violin.

I'm also a musician of nearly 7 years and I can easily pin-point who composed what myself, although I won't put it up anyway.

Anyways hope you at least gain valuable info from this. Do me a favour and don't let it go to waste.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 02:29 AM

being a musician for 7 years* not being 7 years old haha
Old Dec 6, 2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
after many interviews, sending e-mails and actually meeting up with someone while I headed off to tokyo for a holiday
can you at least explain this a bit more. which interviews and where are they? who did you send e-mails to, and what were their replies? who did you meet up with? etc. you could elaborate on these things so we have a better understanding of how you've pulled this information together.

(i've been writing music a decade but i don't believe it affords my perceptions any more dignity)

Quote:
And many tracks come from the 'title' track therefore Nagata did various others like ones with solo violin.
this is likely but not always the case. it's not unheard of for other music staff to take a main theme and arrange their own songs from it.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 04:16 AM

Well if you give me time to prepare everything that would be super. It wasn't an interview a guy named ryo who I lived with in japan for a month happens to know some people who works at nintendo so I ended up talking to one who was a fan of koji kondo and actually knows who composed what but not everything.

When it comes to one game the composers always use their own theme unless it's a reoccurring theme like the zelda theme, that's different. It's like ilia's theme in twilight princess, only toru would want to use that theme just for the game.

And I didn't mean to offend you blitz but I wanna become a video game composer and I've dedicated myself to video game music and I contact grant kirkhope regularly and he gives me pointers. If you want to talk to him check out www.grantkirkhope.com and go to contact.

I'm only 17 guys, hope I'll get somewhere with music.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist500 View Post
When it comes to one game the composers always use their own theme unless it's a reoccurring theme like the zelda theme, that's different.
This is actually not true at all, and has been disproven many many many times. Frequently composers will arrange someone else's work for game soundtracks.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 06:13 AM

nah i'm not offended. sorry if you got that impression though. i'm just eager to see your sources :b
Old Dec 6, 2010, 09:22 PM

@Jormungand Trust me if it's one game, the composer would re-use the theme themselves but the next game it's usually someone else arranging for them.

@Blitz Lunar Well I'm looking up the official piano book for the game, maybe I'll find something :P
Old Dec 7, 2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
@Jormungand Trust me if it's one game, the composer would re-use the theme themselves but the next game it's usually someone else arranging for them.
Trust me, that's not always the case.

Genso Suikoden
Suikoden Tierkreis
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XIII
Sands of Destruction
Arc Rise Fantasia
Oboromuramasa
Vandal Hearts
Breath of Fire III
Front Mission: Gun Hazard
Luminous Arc 2
Project Sylpheed
NiGHTS Into Dreams
Shadow Hearts II
Shenmue

All games with multiple composers; all games where a composer used or arranged a theme created by one of their colleagues.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:57 PM

I have some of those but it's different. I'm talking about the composition credits not the arrangement. I know that junya nakano arranged some tracks of nobuo uematsu in final fantasy X but they're not credited as composers.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 07:01 PM

Okay, then, take Final Fantasy X's "Time of Judgement" for an example. It's credited to Hamauzu, composition and arrangement, and it uses Uematsu's Song of Prayer theme throughout.

Really, I think examples would be very easy to find.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 07:48 PM

Guitarist, you seem to be trying to make a different point now that you've been confronted with contradictory evidence. You are not communicating very effectively. I'm sorry if English isn't your native language, but your arguments appear stilted and confused.

I recommend you do some more research before making any further claims.

Xenofan is correct. Just a few examples off the top of my head...

FFX is the obvious example. The Song of Prayer motif shows up in numerous compositions by both Hamauzu and Nakano, and they are the only ones credited in their respective works.

Tomoko Sasaki's main theme for NiGHTS is all over the soundtrack; yet those tracks by Naofamu Hataya which employ the theme credit only Hataya.

For Suikoden Tierkreis, Yoshino Aoki uses the main theme composed by Norikazu Miura in her composition "Marsinah Plains". She is the only one credited for it.

etc. etc.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
It's also common sense because why would a composer let another composer do the song they wrote?
Quote:
When it comes to one game the composers always use their own theme unless it's a reoccurring theme like the zelda theme, that's different.
This is faulty logic and falls upon pure speculation.

Quote:
I'm also a musician of nearly 7 years and I can easily pin-point who composed what myself
lol.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
It's also common sense because why would a composer let another composer do the song they wrote?
-In terms of composition, you are right. No matter how many times a composition is reused, the original composer is still the same. It's an absolute, really, even if credit isn't given directly, it's an underlying truth.
-In terms of arrangement, you are wrong. I understand that you see that themes are arranged by different people over time, but they are arranged by different people both between and within games.
ex. between = SMB Overworld BGM
ex. within = NiGHTS

Quote:
When it comes to one game the composers always use their own theme unless it's a reoccurring theme like the zelda theme, that's different. It's like ilia's theme in twilight princess, only toru would want to use that theme just for the game.
-In terms of composition, you are right. Within the context of a single game, a common/shared theme among many tracks implies a common composer, but the arrangement credit for each of them can vary. Again, there's no changing who originally wrote the composition.
-In terms of arrangement, you are wrong. Anyone can use someone's else theme, even if it never appears in another game. Never assume that just because the same theme is used that the arranger is ALWAYS going to be the same as the original composer.
ex. Shadow the Hedgehog - "Stage : Prison Island" is composed & arranged by Jun Senoue and is just stage music. "Stage : Black Comet" is Tomoya Ohtani's arrangement of that same composition.

Quote:
Trust me if it's one game, the composer would re-use the theme themselves but the next game it's usually someone else arranging for them.
-(Points back to Shadow the Hedgehog). Composition credit = Absolute; Arrangement credit = Variable

Quote:
I have some of those but it's different. I'm talking about the composition credits not the arrangement. I know that junya nakano arranged some tracks of nobuo uematsu in final fantasy X but they're not credited as composers.
-Of course Junya Nakano isn't given composition credit for a theme Nobuo Uematsu wrote. Nakano can only be given arrangement credit regardless of whether the theme is new for the game or from an older one, so long as it wasn't originally written by him.

Last edited by kyubihanyou; Dec 7, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 01:04 AM

a composer writing a theme makes them the originator of that theme, but that doesn't make them the original composer of all the songs that use it - since the theme is only one element in a song. everything else is composed by the other guys. isn't fair to consider them merely arrangers because they used all or part of a motif. it really depends on the song. i'm kind of mystefied why this debate even has to happen.

anyway, ON THAT POINT, guitarist500, are you able to clarify this at all?:
Quote:
For the reprised songs that Kondo originally wrote, do you have arranger credit breakdown for (any of) those?
-

also one last thing, apparently wakai did do Molgera. that one wasn't listed earlier so i figured it was worth mentioning.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I agree with the consensus here, so I've moved the new info from Guitarist500 here.

It's exciting that you got this information, but we just need to know more about the source, since it's not referenced anywhere.
I'm ok with that list, but track 1-28 should be credited to Kondo - it's (a wonderfully arranged version of) "Kakariko Village".
Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Trust me, that's not always the case.

Genso Suikoden
Suikoden Tierkreis
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XIII
Sands of Destruction
Arc Rise Fantasia
Oboromuramasa
Vandal Hearts
Breath of Fire III
Front Mission: Gun Hazard
Luminous Arc 2
Project Sylpheed
NiGHTS Into Dreams
Shadow Hearts II
Shenmue

All games with multiple composers; all games where a composer used or arranged a theme created by one of their colleagues.
I agree. I've seen this happen before many times. Also, in this very score, while I'm sure we would all agree that "Outset Island" was written by Nagata, you'll notice that in addition to "Aryll's Theme", this piece contains elements of "Kakariko Village" and extensive use of "Kokiri Forest" - both written by Kondo.

"Staff Credits" also contains "Princess Zelda's Theme", though I'm quite sure Nagata wrote it.

Nagata seemed to hide behind a lot of Kondo's compositions in this score though... can't blame him though.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 03:20 PM

By the way, isn't it at least some confirmation that Nagata did 1-01,38 because he is listed as Composer (for the Title Theme and Dragon Roost Island):
http://vgmdb.net/album/410
and the rest of the Zelda games, I think, were done by Kondo? Or am I just assuming wrong?

Actually, not sure if it's been mentioned (but I think this thread became a bit too long [derailed] at some point with cluttering posts :/]

edit: basically, can't that at least go on the album page as some breakdown (and another thought is that.. it doesn't prove Kondo didn't have anything to do with it, but I think other people might know better about it, maybe)
edit2: at least Wakai and Minegishi aren't listed on the Marion & Zelda Big Band-o CD

Last edited by mercenary09; Apr 23, 2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:38 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Well, after many interviews, sending e-mails and actually meeting up with someone while I headed off to tokyo for a holiday, I've actually got a pretty accurate tracklist stating who composed what.
Oh, I didn't even see page two! haha
Old Dec 6, 2011, 08:39 AM

As I'm currently listening to this soundtrack I'll try to fill the list Guitarist500 posted earlier with the remaining composers/arrangers. Feel free to discuss!

Disc1
Track 02: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 05: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 08: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 09: Hajime Wakai (Arranger)
Track 15: Hajime Wakai (Arranger)
Track 16: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 20: Hajime Wakai
Track 21: Hajime Wakai
Track 23: Kenta Nagata
Track 24: Hajime Wakai (Arranger)
Track 25: Kenta Nagata
Track 26: Kenta Nagata
Track 27: Kenta Nagata
Track 29: Kenta Nagata
Track 32: Hajime Wakai
Track 33: Toru Minegishi
Track 34: Kenta Nagata
Track 35: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 36: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 37: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 39: Koji Kondo (Composer), Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 42: Hajime Wakai
Track 43: Hajime Wakai
Track 44: Hajime Wakai
Track 45: Hajime Wakai
Track 46: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 47: Kenta Nagata
Track 48: Kenta Nagata
Track 49: Kenta Nagata
Track 50: Kenta Nagata
Track 52: Kenta Nagata
Track 53: Kenta Nagata
Track 54: Kenta Nagata
Track 55: Kenta Nagata
Track 58: Hajime Wakai
Track 59: Hajime Wakai
Track 60: Hajime Wakai
Track 61: Hajime Wakai
Track 63: Hajime Wakai
Track 64: Hajime Wakai
Track 66: Kenta Nagata
Track 67: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 68: Hajime Wakai
Track 69: Hajime Wakai
Track 70: Kenta Nagata
Track 71: Hajime Wakai
Track 72: Hajime Wakai
Track 73: Hajime Wakai

Disc2
Track 02: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 03: Hajime Wakai (Arranger)
Track 04: Hajime Wakai
Track 07: Hajime Wakai (Arranger)
Track 08: Hajime Wakai (Arranger)
Track 09: Haime Wakai (Arranger)
Track 10: Hajime Wakai (Arranger)
Track 11: Hajime Wakai
Track 12: Hajime Wakai
Track 13: Koji Kondo, Kenta Nagata (Composer), Hajime Wakai (Arranger)
Track 14: Hajime Wakai
Track 15: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 16: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 17: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 20: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 21: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 22: Kenta Nagata
Track 23: Kenta Nagata
Track 28: Hajime Wakai
Track 31: Kenta Nagata
Track 36: Hajime Wakai
Track 37: Hajime Wakai
Track 38: Kenta Nagata
Track 39: Koji Kondo (Composer), Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 40: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)
Track 41: Hajime Wakai
Track 42: Hajime Wakai
Track 43: Hajime Wakai
Track 44: Hajime Wakai
Track 45: Hajime Wakai
Track 47: Hajime Wakai
Track 48: Hajime Wakai
Track 49: Hajime Wakai
Track 50: Hajime Wakai
Track 51: Hajime Wakai
Track 52: Hajime Wakai
Track 53: Hajime Wakai
Track 54: Toru Minegishi
Track 55: Kenta Nagata (Arranger)

There are some tracks which are easy to figure out (mostly Hajime Wakai's stuff, if you compare it to his other works), others are difficult. For example, I'm not sure about "Beedle's Shop" or "Grandma", Koji Kondo's compositions, but I think they were arranged by Nagata, not Kondo himself. As Nagata is the main composer, he obviously did most the reprises from Kondo. Tracks like "Dragon Roost Cavern", "Sacred Shrine", "Jabun" or "Dungeon" are based on originals from Ocarina of Time, and I'm not sure who arranged them, but as I said, I doubt Kondo did it, even if "Sacred Shrine" or "Dungeon" sound identical as "Inside the Deku Tree" from OoT. As for Minegishi, he had a small role here (obviously?), maybe he did some of the cinematic tracks, too. I chosed him for "The Second Maritime Battle" and "Ganondorf Battle" as he emulates Kondo's style perfectly, as he did back in Majora's Mask with his battle tracks. As I said, feel to to discuss!

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Dec 6, 2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:31 AM

Default Comic Sans MS

Hey there. I wanted to know if the official soundtrack's CDs from Scitron Digital are labelled with "Disc1/2" in a font that looks like Comic Sans MS. It appears so... poor to me that I need some kind of verification so that I can believe it's the official soundtrack.

SB

EDIT: NEVERMIND. I missed the picture list. Sorry.

Last edited by SailorB; Jan 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:58 PM

Even yet it remains a mystery who composed that in this game, after much research on dozens of websites Japanese, I have discovering that is what made Koji Kondo really for this game, Kondo composed only two themes, the previously known Grandma (お ばあちゃん) 1-13 and Hero Legend (勇者 伝 説) 1-3, besides these two theme, nothing more. (Confirmed)

Now Hajime Wakai, what I found there, and this gives all sites for done, is that he was solely responsible for all themes of battle of the game, if this is so, Toru Minegishi could not compose The 2nd Maritime Battle (海上 戦闘 その 2) 1-33, or Ganondorf battle (ガノンドロフ 戦) 2-54, or any of the other themes used for battle, this seems logical since these two themes sound like the music composed Wakai for StarFox. (Confirmed) but I still have my doubts respect to these, about the two themes I quoted because they sound very similar to the issues Minegishi composed for Majora's Mask, it just tells us nothing since Minegishi emulated the style Kondo, Wakai could do likewise without any problem.

About Kenta Nagata, as we all know was chosen by Eiji Aonuma as the game's main composer, responsible for all the remaining contents. (Confirmed)

The real mystery now is that really Toru Minegishi composed for this game, if they really composed something, anywhere, anywhere out anything about it, it is as though there were really composed something, my conclusion is that their work in this soundtrack was as arranger, is the conclusion I can come to, of course this is speculation until I found information that confime this.

I hope I have helped to the interested.

Greetings.

Last edited by Mächtig; Apr 12, 2013 at 01:04 PM.