VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the info TerraEpon!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:54 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
While I was trying to decode the credits on this album, I noticed an alias that I am not familiar with:

ともりん

Does anybody have any idea over who this is?
Maybe Tomoko Sano (Sanoppi)?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
I found this interesting tidbit in the 2ch link Revoc posted in another thread.

Somebody asked in IGA's blog, about X Chronicle (PSP remake OST) if stage 4 was "Slash" or "Op.13". IGA answers "Slash" is correct as he asked the composer so the OST was incorrect.

So maybe the sound test was wrong and the current notes aren't right?
Not entirely sure what you're saying here... allow me to insult your intelligence for a bit:

"Slash" is the stage 4' theme for both versions (FROGS) and was arranged for the X Chronicle, while "Op.13" is the stage 5' theme for the original and was replaced with "Red Dawn" for the X Chronicle. On the X Chronicle album, they're placed where they should be on both discs; stage 4' comes before stage 5 comes before stage 5'. That you get stage 5' after beating the game is more or less irrelevant, and I'm not sure that even applies to X Chronicle.

So the OST is definitely incorrect; The Gambler's post and his edits to notes should explain everything else about these two songs.

Last edited by Despatche; Nov 12, 2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:21 AM
VGMdb Advisor

That's right, I just misunderstood the notes.
I take IGA agrees too so there's your official confirmation.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:38 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
Didn't we already establish "Divine Bloodlines" as the best translation of the track title in another thread somewhere here?

Also, while the other changes make the track titles sound less awkward, I don't know if they are accurate. Perhaps this is another case of older translations coming back up via misinformation? I'm beginning to think we need to start properly sourcing and approving translations on a regular basis so we can cut down on circular editing.
Yep. I was right.
http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=38454
"Divine Bloodlines" is the official English translation. "Blood Relations of Heaven and Earth" may be more literal, but we should stick with the official translation.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Jun 14, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 05:57 PM

Sensible that official translations should be used for a translation section.

Somewhat unrelated: this album gives me reason to use "Vampire Killer" as a default name. Normally I'd go with "Castlevania: Bloodlines" as that name reportedly debuted a day earlier, and I generally try to ignore development titles anyway (because we're talking about the final product), but this situation seems like a clear exception (I wonder if this isn't like Mega Turrican); we've even got the logo. Can anyone find some other 1993 promo material for VK?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:54 PM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

So I notice that later iterations of Disc 1 Track 5 from other albums are titled "Cross Fear" whereas this one is explicitly "Cross a Fear" (in English, no less). Is it safe to say this was simply a bad English translation?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G View Post
So I notice that later iterations of Disc 1 Track 5 from other albums are titled "Cross Fear" whereas this one is explicitly "Cross a Fear" (in English, no less). Is it safe to say this was simply a bad English translation?
it took a while to retranslate this (probably with 2007's PSP remake), and it surely carried over on KICA-1145.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:09 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
it occurred to me (thanks to a post from Hellacia in the Akumajo Dracula X Chronicle thread) that this double set soundtrack is supposedly released in 03 nov, 1993.

However, the second disc has music from Vampire Killer, released in Japan on 18 March 1994.

Is this even possible? Do we have some incorrect data, or should we assume that the music featured on Megadrive made its first debut in CD format? That seems highly unlikely.

edit: the spine card seems to have a 2.11.95 (11 feb. or 2 nov.) which sounds a lot more reasonable for this disc.
It's fairly unusual, but I don't think it's impossible.
The liner notes where written in sept 93, and more or less hint the music dev for Vampire Killer started around spring 1993.
Plus KICA-7620/1 was oct 93 and KICA-7624 dec 93, this album's (KICA-7622/3) date must be correct.

Considering the game was released around the same day in all territores, it wouldn't be surprising the music was finished before november 93, and maybe the game itself (just the cart manufacturing/distribution probably took months anyway).

The 2.11.95 is the date "until" it could be sold IIRC (there was another thread explaining it, something Japanese laws something).
Old May 12, 2014, 01:48 PM

Yes, I agree with all your conclusions. It'd just be nice to ask Yamane on the subject, given the opportunity.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 08:47 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the Bloodlines soundtrack seems to be done in semi-mono? I'm listening on headphones and a lot of the tracks seem to be about 80% on my left side and maybe 20% on the right side. I thought something might be wrong with my setup, but then the arrangements come on...perfect stereo, no issues. A couple tracks sound like they are missing entire parts of the melody even on the left side, notably Iron Blue Intention. It sounds very different from the game version.

Sloppy transfer? Or maybe my copy is bad?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 07:40 PM

I confirmed it is the same on both a downloaded copy and the boxset. Someone really dropped the ball on this one. The ingame music is VERY different than what is presented on the soundtrack.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 06:34 AM

Could this have anything to do with the fact that the soundtrack came out before the Vampire Killer game was released? I'm thinking about unfinished songs and/or rushed recording job.

Game was most likely not finished when the OST came out. I gotta dig out the exact dates if you want some proof.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 09:29 AM

I believe you. It's entirely possible they used an unfinished mix for the soundtrack. But to repeat the problem with the boxset is just...UGH!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 02:30 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Interesting. Probably it shouldn't sound so left-balanced but maybe something else is going on.

I hear (har har) different Mega Drive/Genesis models have different sound qualities, stereo problems too:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-from-bad-ones
http://retrorgb.com/genesisaudiomod.html

Maybe it was recorded with one of the worse models and nobody noticed?

Or perhaps your model is different/clearer?
(if you compared with real hardware; emu music I guess wouldn't replicate the analog-ness of the FM chip and would be a lot clearer)
Old Aug 6, 2015, 03:44 PM

No it came out of an emulator. We kept dying in the France stage (game has limited continues and we weren't bothering with save states...and yes, we suck at Bloodlines), so we got to hear Reincarnated Soul and Iron Blue Intention a bunch of times. I went home and put the soundtrack on, since I never paid much attention to it and noticed this.

We did this awhile ago...I just bumped it because I just tested the boxset version and got the same result. Again, they might have just screwed up trying to split a mono signal properly, but I've never heard it this badly done before (although I hear Mystic Ark has the channels reversed in its official soundtrack...I'd be curious to do that comparison, ingame vs soundtrack).

Last edited by GoldfishX; Aug 6, 2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 08:31 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
(although I hear Mystic Ark has the channels reversed in its official soundtrack...I'd be curious to do that comparison, ingame vs soundtrack).
I don't know about having the channels reversed (how would you even be able to tell??) but it has a very distinct, very bad straight line hiss in the left channel on every single track. No idea how it was recorded but whatever they did it's f'd up. I can provide samples of the CD source if you want to compare them to the game. Can also provide Dracula box samples but I'd have to dig it out and rip it, I haven't done that one in FLAC yet.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:16 PM

Yeah, you're right...I found the thread here where we discussed that. It was the hiss, not reversed channel on Mystic Ark.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 04:55 AM

Hardly the last time Konami fucked up a CV game OST -- Aria of Sorrow is much worse than the game too.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:29 AM

I really hope small labels that truly care such as Clarice Disc or EGG music, get more access to Konami licenses and publish more remastered albums. Vampire Killer being on top of my wishlist, of course.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gambler View Post
I really hope small labels that truly care such as Clarice Disc or EGG music, get more access to Konami licenses and publish more remastered albums. Vampire Killer being on top of my wishlist, of course.
Maybe an idiotic question but wouldn't it just be better to grab the rips from a ROM which is basically the unfettered source? I don't see why this kind of music needs "remastering".
Old Nov 18, 2015, 03:39 PM

Location: Deciding whether to do Secret of Mana or Wild Arms for my next album

Quote:
Originally Posted by XISMZERO View Post
Maybe an idiotic question but wouldn't it just be better to grab the rips from a ROM which is basically the unfettered source? I don't see why this kind of music needs "remastering".
Easy enough to do, for sure. You could easily do a direct digital-to-digital of this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 03:23 PM

I don't know the early Castlevania games' OSTs very well. Which tracks from Bloodlines are actually arrangements from earlier games? I know of:

Bloody Tears
Theme of Simon
Vampire Killer (Satoe Terashima)

Could you experts help identify the other arrangements?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 04:20 PM

There's also other two:

Beginning
Nothing to Lose

The first one originally was in Castlevania 3 and Super Castlevania 4, while the second was in the original Castlevania.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 02:27 AM

I think we should re-add "Castlevania: Rondo of Blood" as an alternate title. I never understood why it was removed since it's been the official English name for over a decade now and I think it's odd that this album doesn't come up under searches for "Castlevania"
Old Sep 10, 2019, 06:05 PM

I don't really know the title policy so this isn't to disagree with your statement, but Rondo of Blood does have a product page and this album is properly linked to it, so you can find it in search by looking at the products tab.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:56 PM

Well, since no one has piped up to give a valid argument for not adding the official English title of the game, I've gone ahead and done it.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 08:35 PM

I think the reason why Rondo of Blood wasn't listed here is because Rondo of Blood and Dracula X (despite their similarities) are basically two different games, Rondo of Blood is more akin to a reimagining of Dracula X. Regardless, I don't feel particularly strongly one way or another in regards to whether or not Rondo of Blood should or shouldn't be listed here.

Last edited by BlazingAbyss; Sep 14, 2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingAbyss View Post
I think the reason why Rondo of Blood wasn't listed here is because Rondo of Blood and Dracula X (despite their similarities) are basically two different games, Rondo of Blood is more akin to a reimagining of Dracula X. Regardless, I don't feel particularly strongly one way or another in regards to whether or not Rondo of Blood should or shouldn't be listed here.
No, Akumajo Dracula X *IS* Rondo of Blood. That's the Japanese title (minus the subtitle 血の輪廻) and that's the game that's represented here along with Vampire Killer/Bloodlines. The game known in the west as Castlevania: Dracula X is called Akumajo Dracula XX in Japan. And besides, you've got it backwards; Dracula X is a re-imagining of Rondo of Blood, not the other way around -- also this album predates Dracula X as has already been pointed out in this thread. The only argument I can see for not calling this album Castlevania: Rondo of Blood is the fact that the 血の輪廻 subtitle is absent in the Japanese name, but even so, that's clearly the game they named it after since no other game in the Akumajo Dracula X "series" (such as SotN) is represented or even existed at this time. As for Vampire Killer/Bloodlines, that feels more like a bonus here than the main event.

Last edited by Aifread; Sep 14, 2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:57 PM

Is "Rondo of Blood" confirmed by some presence in a Konami catalog or some other official publication? I've always thought "Rondo of Blood" and "Circle of Blood" were never used in a Konami product, but maybe in the PSP releases, I don't know, I don't have a PSP.

By the way, are we ever going to get an official release with the music of Akumajo Dracula XX (Super Famicom)? Why not?

Last edited by LuxKiller65; Sep 15, 2019 at 12:00 AM.