VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 3, 2011, 05:20 PM

Default Final Fight Tough Compsition Discussion

Okay, i know this isn't listed as a album, but this is, however, a topic i had some interest in and i saw someone else was curious as to who made the music to the game and wanted to ask.

Myself, a very likely candidate would be Yuki Iwai. I also read somewhere Setsuo Yamamoto and Yuko Kadota were also involved along with her. But if this is the case, it sounds like Yuki Iwai was involved in the majority of it. The reason why is because the music is in that very "Start out slow, speed up a little, stop a little" kind of tone with some of the songs, this is that very same style used in Rockman X2. It's more of a mood changer, it switches to a multi-tom hit sometimes, often sounds more alert and in motion. I know Yuki doesn't always do this, but it's a common trait in her music. Also, the song "Straight To The Top" sounds very similar to Lord Vega's theme in MSH vs SF, which has a distinctive element in one part of other Yuki songs, like Wolverine's theme from MSH.

As for what Yuko and Setsuo might have done, possibly For Metro City? It does sounds like the more simplistic one as opposed to the rest of the game's alert and in motion style found in Yuki's style. Just a guess.

Anyone able to find anything on this, if so, it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Old May 7, 2011, 08:18 AM

Is this the same as Final Fight 3? If so, the whole soundtrack was composed by Katsunari Kitajima. I can't remember where this info was unearthed, I think it was a personal website. It's just my hypothesis, but it seems like towards the end of the SNES cycle, Capcom started to contract outside composers and moved their main guys to arcade.

Edit: http://www.dflat.jp/About.html

Last edited by strugglepoo; May 7, 2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old May 7, 2011, 08:38 AM

i assumed he meant the first final fight on snes, for which no composers are known.
Old May 7, 2011, 08:28 PM

Final Fight Tough is the japanese name of Final Fight 3. I only use the japanese name to be a little more general, and also, i figured people knew that alternate title already.

As for the name, where does it say anywhere on here of this composer's name? I see some kind of company but no name, only this D-Flat Japon name. This site looks weird and confusing. Also lists Capcom as Capcon.

EDIT: Blitz, the first FF on the SFC was composed by Toshio Kajino.

Last edited by HarukameiKasumo; May 7, 2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old May 7, 2011, 09:03 PM

Second line above "Activities". I'm guessing "Capcon" is some sort of translation error. Famicom is also misspelled this way.
Old May 7, 2011, 09:46 PM

Ah i see. Well, that's an odd error to have. Even if it is japanese as i have seen them make much less mistakes in just about every other site.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I only use the japanese name to be a little more general, and also, i figured people knew that alternate title already.
oh. i didn't! I assumed you meant it literally, as in "this is going to be hard". my bad.

Quote:
Blitz, the first FF on the SFC was composed by Toshio Kajino.
didn't know that :J maybe i shouldn't be so quick to rely on snesmusic as they're known for getting things wrong. i'll let them know to update it.

anyway yeah final fight 3's music is insanely good. what i'm confused about is kitajima's role in Syvalion on SNES. the game credits him for sound, though the soundtrack credits only Hayato Matsuo. i guess that's another issue... in all likelihood it was just sound effects. but there's definitely parallels between Final Fight 3 and Syvalion's soundtracks (in the form of ultrawank.)
Old May 8, 2011, 12:40 AM

Ha ha, it's okay, dear.

Anyway, yeah, it is possible he might have just done sound for the game, i still am betting on the idea that Yuki Iwai had something to do with its music, simply due to the flow and how the songs are made, possibly Kitajima did some of the songs that sounded less yuki-ish? Can't say, really. I listened to Syvallion's music and it sounded closer to War of the Gems than FF3/Tough, if he did FF3/Tough, it probably would have sounded more along the lines of Syvallion and WotG. So yeah, possibly it was sound effects? I don't know, FF3 sounds nothing like those other games.

As for SNESmusic, no worries. But i will agree they get things wrong, like they credited SF2 WW/Turbo and SSFII to Yasuaki Fujita, when SFII WW/Turbo were Isao Abe, Yuki Iwai, and maybe Yoko Shimomura, and SSFII sounds like Yuki Iwai might have been involved as well along with Isao Abe and maybe Setsuo Yamamoto and possibly others like Yuko and Syun.

EDIT: Also, strugglepoo, that isn't necessarily the case, Naoshi did Rockman and Forte, he worked on several arcades game prior to that, Akari Kaida also did a few arcade games prior to that game, she also did Rockman and Forte.

Last edited by HarukameiKasumo; May 8, 2011 at 12:50 AM.