VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 16, 2015, 02:40 PM

This album either represents The Dawn of Ys or a completely unreleased title. A PC Engine CD title was apparently the first title to start development, and various development details were revealed through PC Engine-oriented magazines starting from 1991. There are claims that it was specifically developed as a "sequel" to the Ys I+II and Ys III ports, but I'm not sure if that's referring to Falcom's original version or The Dawn of Ys.

It seems at some point in development, Falcom gave up on the project and sent what they had to Hudson and (seemingly later) Tonkin House, the end result being a version of the game with heavy creative license (The Dawn of Ys) and a version of the game that was closer to the original source (Mask of the Sun). A Mega Drive version was also advertised through Sega Falcom, but this was canceled.

Last edited by Despatche; Jan 16, 2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 02:23 PM

Recently I received a reply from Shirakawa on Twitter about his compositions for Popful Mail. He composed:

1. Backup Creation

3. Opening Demo 1

4. Opening Demo 2

18. Volcanic Zone (Exploration)

25. Castle (Battle)

28. Ending 1 - Somebody Loves You

I suppose it may be safe to say everything else is Mieko Ishikawa.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despatche View Post
This album either represents The Dawn of Ys or a completely unreleased title. A PC Engine CD title was apparently the first title to start development, and various development details were revealed through PC Engine-oriented magazines starting from 1991. There are claims that it was specifically developed as a "sequel" to the Ys I+II and Ys III ports, but I'm not sure if that's referring to Falcom's original version or The Dawn of Ys.

It seems at some point in development, Falcom gave up on the project and sent what they had to Hudson and (seemingly later) Tonkin House, the end result being a version of the game with heavy creative license (The Dawn of Ys) and a version of the game that was closer to the original source (Mask of the Sun). A Mega Drive version was also advertised through Sega Falcom, but this was canceled.
The arrangements here are nearly identical to this album, where the game is also called Mask of the Sun, which leads me to believe that these are either the unreleased Sega CD versions or just early versions of what later ended up in Dawn of Ys but were intended to be in both versions.

Last edited by Aifread; Jun 2, 2020 at 01:04 AM.