VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 1, 2009, 06:23 AM
VGMdb Staff
VGM Artist

Default QRCD 21556321: Soundquakes: Quake Soundtrack (bootleg)

I decided to put this album for a few reasons:

- It's an album for a famous game, and should be included for history.

- It's rarer than poeple thought, simply cause this album is always confused with the Quake redbook audio in 10 tracks.. by many sites around the web, that include game-ost.ru.
Watch out for tracklengths, these are really different.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 07:55 AM
VGMdb Advisor

I recently received this album from a friend, and updated the scans. Here's his comments about the CD:

This album was a cheap cash-in by some company that usually sells bootleg recordings of different bands' concerts. I got it from a used-cd fair in Eskilstuna, Sweden in 1998.

One very weird thing about this album is that the last two tracks aren't even from the Quake soundtrack. They're actually two Depeche Mode songs (8 is "Barrel of a Gun" and 9 is the extended remix of "Painkiller", both from Depeche Mode's ULTRA album, which by the way was also released in 1996. Why they put them on there is a complete mystery to me).

Last edited by Carl; Sep 18, 2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:11 PM

Even though this is a bootleg release (and I don't even know if the Quake tracks are the same as the redbook audio ones or rearranged), but I thought it worth mentioning for the sake of info gathering (not necessarily needing to be updated on the product page) that Trent Reznor isn't solely responsible for the music in the first PC Quake. He may have composed the songs himself (we don't know) but if I recall correctly, the audio in the booklet to the game is credited something like "Music and Sound Effects by Nine Inch Nails and Trent Reznor".

It's known, although not widely, that Chris Vrenna (American McGee's Alice score and tweaker) contributed to the score. He was Reznor's main engineer and sound designer at the time; the rich sound of the NIN album The Downward Spiral was primarily a collaborative effort between the two.

There are numerous sources, mainly interviews which mention Vrenna's involvement in the game; here's a couple:

http://vampirefreaks.com/content/comment.php?entry=447
http://m.gamespot.com/news/qanda-doo...vrenna-6104146

Years ago I'd read an extensive breakdown of Vrenna's involvement in certain projects which I think detailed his work on the score. I don't know if it's still available on the web. (Either was on the Waxploitation site/message board or an older version of the tweaker website.)

It's possible that Charlie Clouser and Danny Lohner contributed as well since they were part of NIN at the time (mostly playing live but doing studio stuff as well), but I've found no concrete evidence for this, so I can only assume it's just Reznor and Vrenna. The author of this page assumes the same:

https://www.quaddicted.com/quake/soundtrack

Again, just posting this for the sake of info gathering since I appreciate VGMdb a lot and want it to continue being the best source for video game music information.

Edit: From that last page there's a link to an interview with American McGee where he says:

"Music and sound were coming in from all the NiN guys - it was a group effort. Chris Vrenna and I got to know each other during that time, which is how he ended up working on 'Alice'."

Which leads me to believe Reznor and Vrenna were still the primary music/sound design guys (as on the NIN albums) with contributions by Clouser and Lohner. Doubtful Robin Finck contributed since I believe he was mostly (maybe exclusively) a live guitarist.

https://www.quaddicted.com/interviews/americanmcgee

Last edited by KriztofferSwank; Feb 18, 2013 at 05:29 PM.