VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Jan 27, 2010, 01:03 PM

Default Who composed Shadowgate, Uninvited, etc?

I think the current consensus around the 'nets is that no one knows, although I hope I'm wrong. Unless anyone has connections, I think the best lead would be to look up Kemco games that share a similar sound, and see if any of them were kind enough to include in-game credits.

Shadowgate (NES)
Uninvited (NES)
Deja Vu (NES)
Sword of Hope (Game Boy)
Sword of Hope II (Game Boy)

I haven't checked out the rest of those Kemco titles yet, but I'll take a look at them soon. If I recall correctly, none of those 3 NES games had credits. I have yet to play through the Sword of Hope games, since they are RPGs and would take some work to get through, but I'd like to do so eventually...

Any other leads?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:42 AM
VGMdb Staff

I've been interested in knowing this too, since I was a big fan of the point-and-click trilogy and its music. If I've understood it correctly, the music from the NES versions was made for those ports, and the original Mac versions didn't have much in terms of audio and (next to?) no music.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 01:29 PM

I believe that's correct, the music in the NES trilogy should be completely original AFAIK.

I had Uninvited for the Amiga and it didn't have any music as well. It did have a terrifying shrieking sound when you no-ghosted Scarlet O'Hara though!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:42 PM

I don't recall if the TurboDuo game Beyond Shadowgate had any music credits, but it might be worth checking out. Unfortunately, my copy is 1000 miles away, so I can't check it out.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:37 PM

I am on a mission and I'd love any help from members here.

Primarily, if someone could loan/send me the cartridge for Sword of Hope.

Cross-posted from theshizz:

"I'm trying to find the composer(s) for Shadowgate, Deja Vu, Uninvited, and possibly others. These games credits apparently do not contain any information about the composers.

I would like your help. I already have Deja Vu 1-2 for Gameboy Color and I plan on finishing the game on actual hardware to see if the composer information is in the credits.

If that doesn't work, I need to obtain a cartridge for "Sword of Hope" for Gameboy. This is where I need your help.

I will play through these games on my Gameboy, or on the Super Gameboy, and document happenings in this thread.

I figured this would be a fun way to do it, to play through the games, and document my thoughts here in this thread while I do so.

I know the games were released on different platforms such as mac and DOS. Do they contain the same music as the NES versions?

If none of these prove fruitful, I ask that you all help and check all your sources of information or contacts for any possible leads as to who composed these amazing soundtracks."
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:11 AM

I'd LOVE to know this as well! In fact, I joined this forum just to post on this thread, so sorry for thread resurrecting, but this seems to still be an unsettled mystery.

What makes you think the same guy made the music for Sword of Hope? I don't remember the music being similar, but it HAS been ages since I played that game. I should still have the game cart, since that and Zelda IV was the only of my old GB carts that didn't get stolen back in the day (I've re-bought the others since )

As far as I remember, the game doesn't take long to complete, but I had it LONG before I actually completed it because I was expecting something like Shadowgate, but had never ever played a turn based RPG before, which made it seem extremely unapproachable to me as a kid.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:16 AM

Ok, viewing some SoH videos on YouTube makes it obvious to me that the music must have been made by the same guy.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:05 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumez View Post
Ok, viewing some SoH videos on YouTube makes it obvious to me that the music must have been made by the same guy.
I never even knew about the Sword of Hope games until now [must play~], but now that I've seen some videos on yt I have to agree as well that the music from the first game at least is awfully similar to that of the NES games. Too bad the game doesn't seem to have any credits.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 01:02 AM

Looking into some more of the Kemco games from that time, I'd say the same guy probably composed for Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle (music is a different style, but the production is similar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIt_IwPbQb0
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:30 PM

It has been confirmed that Sword of Hope was composed by Hiroyuki Masuno.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:39 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Hiroyuki Masuno's LinkedIn profile lists the following:
Quote:
KEMCO, Kotobuki System Co. Ltd.
April 1988 – March 1998 (10 years)

Program, Music Composed, Oversea's Coordination for many NES, SNES, Gameboy titles
* Top Gear Series For SNES
* De Ja Vu, Shadowgate, Uninvited, KEMCO Adventure Series For NES
* Drakkhen Series For SNES
* First Samurai For SNES
Doesn't say whether or not he was the only composer.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:57 AM

By the way, regarding the post I made about Sword of Hope, I got that info from someone who asked Hiroyuki Masuno directly.