VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 7, 2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackoak View Post
I can add the Yamane interview, but I'll need to get the source first (I don't own the box DVD myself). Is it on youtube or nico douga, perhaps?

You're welcome to translate the interview to portuguese! Right now I'm not really hosting other language versions at shmuplations (that could change), but there have been other people translating these into French, Spanish, and German and posting them at their own sites.
Please check your PMs for the DVD

And well... My objective with the translations is to share the information to as many VGM lovers as I can. I have a VGM page on Facebook, and if you don't mind, I can translate your translation and host there, crediting you, of course.
Old May 8, 2015, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's very light, but my policy if a short interview gets picked is just to do another interview (whatever is next highest in votes), so no worries there.
That puts my mind at ease. I shouldn't be surprised your policies are so generous. Also, no disrespect intended to those who voted for Langrisser.

Retro Gamer's Top 100 Games of All Time voting now open!
http://www.retrogamer.net/blog_post/...e-voting-open/

Last edited by waxattax; May 9, 2015 at 03:30 AM.
Old May 8, 2015, 04:56 AM

Thanks Robert_Chrystian, I'll get that Yamane interview added to the list for next month. You're welcome to post translated interviews at your vgm page, too. I need to take stock of all the secondary translations by folks like lerebours and link them from the original translations, too...

Today's the final day for voting! I'll tally everything up and announce the results at 7pm PST (13 hours from now). Remember you can change your vote anytime up till then, and you can also use both votes for a single interview if you'd like (just say x2).
Old May 8, 2015, 12:59 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Not sure if I'm in time but:
- Kazuma Kaneko Developer Interview
- Kazuma Kaneko Developer Interview
(where is the man now...)

Also, could you add to the backlog where the interview comes from?
ie. some kind of "source" column ("shooting gameside #1", "ost liner notes", etc, nothing fancy).
Well, if not to the +500 entries (whoa) maybe to the new ones.

I ask because I could track down and read some myself, and could help for cross-referencing if some other site translates one (ex. http://www.vgmonline.net/cat/features/liners/)
Old May 8, 2015, 01:57 PM

Always late to the party

voting for:
Ridge Racer 5 - Developer Interview
Senko no Ronde Duo - Developer Interview

Votes aside, I've always wondered if there's at least 1 interview with Capcom's Atsushi Tomita around the web. The lack of info an material about the father of Kikaioh and the Gundam VS series is infuriating.

Many thanks blackoak, as always.
Old May 8, 2015, 07:58 PM

Thanks for being so awesome!

Senko No Ronde DUO Developer Interview-Hiroyuki Maruyama
Senko No Ronde DUO Developer Interview-Hiroyuki Maruyama
Old May 8, 2015, 08:25 PM

alright, results are in! took me a little longer to get home tonight than I thought. I'll accept new user gargleblax's last two votes even though they were technically past the cutoff time; I'll see about doing one of the x3 runner-ups as well, if I have the time. Look for everything later this month! Oh and here is that Motoi Sakuraba interview I mentioned earlier, btw, in case anyone has not read it yet.

Winners
4 - Ys IV
4 - Senko no Ronde DUO

3 - Kazuma Kaneko
3 - Toshiya Yamanaka
3 - Battle Garegga Arrange
3 - Pocky and Rocky
3 - Langrisser V
2 - Silent Hill Interview Collection
2 - Zone of Enders the 2nd Runner
2 - Seiken Densetsu 3
2 - Assault Suits Valken
2 - Hironobu Sakaguchi
1 - Breath of Fire IV
1 - Front Mission
1 - Tetsuya Nomura
1 - Soukyuugurentai
1 - History of Nintendo Game Music
1 - Mushi Futari Superplay
1 - Yasunori Mitsuda
1 - Koichi Sugiyama DQ Retrospective
1 - Gradius II and III Composer Interviews
1 - Gradius III Composer Interview
1 - Ridge Racer 5
Old May 9, 2015, 03:27 AM

Quote:
I'll see about doing one of the x3 runner-ups as well, if I have the time.
Well, Blitz Lunar gave the Battle Garegga Arrange a nod if that could count as a .1 or something. Just sayin'

Sort of kidding, there. It's awesome you're doing any of this and I don't mean to seem greedy. I prefer physical to digital media, so if plans for a physical collection of any of your translations ever manifests- say, something like the books Kurt Kalata makes from HG101 articles- do let me know. I would buy/fund that in a heartbeat.

Old May 9, 2015, 10:39 AM

Yeah, there's definitely a market out there for these translations.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag View Post
Also, could you add to the backlog where the interview comes from?
ie. some kind of "source" column ("shooting gameside #1", "ost liner notes", etc, nothing fancy).
Well, if not to the +500 entries (whoa) maybe to the new ones.[/url])
I wanted to do that (such a column exists in my master excel spreadsheet), but it would have been difficult with the current site design to incorporate the extra column without making the fonts unreadably small. I tried a number of different ways but none were really working. Something to think about in the future though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxattax View Post
Well, Blitz Lunar gave the Battle Garegga Arrange a nod if that could count as a .1 or something. Just sayin'

Sort of kidding, there. It's awesome you're doing any of this and I don't mean to seem greedy. I prefer physical to digital media, so if plans for a physical collection of any of your translations ever manifests- say, something like the books Kurt Kalata makes from HG101 articles- do let me know. I would buy/fund that in a heartbeat.

Hehe, I'll consider the Garegga one. It would make a nice shmup-centric update with Senko no Ronde DUO. As for the book, I've thought about it, but the problem is basically copyright. Some of this stuff is so old it probably doesn't matter, but with others it's a thin line between fair use and straight up infringement, and selling a commercial end product would definitely cross that line. So for now, its web-published only, but when I start doing original interviews later this year as I plan to, perhaps that will eventually lead to an actual book.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:51 PM

Hey blackoak - while you're at it with the Ys IV interview, would you mind to include and translate the Ys IV J.D.K. Special interview (booklet p. 04, 05 and 06) with various members of the Falcom Sound Team J.D.K. from 1993 as well? No worries if not, but you know, I figured I have nothing to lose by asking.

Thanks again for all the hard work you put into all this!
Old May 9, 2015, 03:01 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
I wanted to do that (such a column exists in my master excel spreadsheet), but it would have been difficult with the current site design to incorporate the extra column without making the fonts unreadably small. I tried a number of different ways but none were really working. Something to think about in the future though.
True, it's kinda cramped there.
I think it could work as a tooltip (since it's not so important you need it in your face) or maybe square brackets after the title.

And thanks for your work, too!
Old May 9, 2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
As for the book, I've thought about it, but the problem is basically copyright. Some of this stuff is so old it probably doesn't matter, but with others it's a thin line between fair use and straight up infringement, and selling a commercial end product would definitely cross that line. So for now, its web-published only, but when I start doing original interviews later this year as I plan to, perhaps that will eventually lead to an actual book.
Cripes- hadn't considered that. Well, we obviously love you here, so stop by anytime with any updates (just in case we're not watching your site as closely as we should). Or if a feasible way to circumvent copyright infringement whilst keeping everyone happy is found.

Makes me wonder what could have been had I continued studying Electronic Gaming Monthly's Guide to Basic Kanji instead of setting it aside upon learning Grandia would be localized for the Playstation in North America. Perhaps it's not too late for humble beginnings haha...

Last edited by waxattax; May 10, 2015 at 01:06 AM.
Old May 10, 2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 《J》 View Post
Hey blackoak - while you're at it with the Ys IV interview, would you mind to include and translate the Ys IV J.D.K. Special interview (booklet p. 04, 05 and 06) with various members of the Falcom Sound Team J.D.K. from 1993 as well? No worries if not, but you know, I figured I have nothing to lose by asking.

Thanks again for all the hard work you put into all this!
Thanks for letting me know about that, it's a cool interview! I'll add it to the feature, which is becoming quite the Ys IV extravaganza. I found a developer diary for it too, which is in a similar comic vein as the Mega Man X dev diary I did last month.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know about that, it's a cool interview! I'll add it to the feature, which is becoming quite the Ys IV extravaganza. I found a developer diary for it too, which is in a similar comic vein as the Mega Man X dev diary I did last month.
Woah, awesome! Thank you so much - I *really* appreciate it!

The following people are featured in the interview, just in case:

石川 = Mieko Ishikawa (obviously)
白蔵 = Atsushi Shirakawa
タカ坊 = Takahiro Tsunashima
キム = Naoki Kaneda

For more information, here's the Ys IV composer breakdown thread.

Can't bloody wait!!
Old May 14, 2015, 08:08 AM

alright, the Ys IV interview collection is up! http://shmuplations.com/ysiv
it gets pretty goofy, lots of nice insights though.

now onto senkou no ronde duo...
Old May 14, 2015, 01:30 PM

Wow, that has become a very nice article! It was fun reading Mieko Ishikawa making fun of Shirakawa; and 'zu!-ta-ka, zu!-ta-ka…' (this indirectly means they equate Ys with the pc-engine versions). The challenge trilogy was also a nice insight. Crimson Wings was especially great. At the same time this makes me wish he had taken more liberty on some of the songs on the Perfect Collections (on more than a few tracks I barely hear any difference). Oh and although I didn't expect it, it makes sense Darm Tower was his favourite: he went all out in the PC version haha.

Reading the director's last words, I can only imagine -though I have never played any Ys game- what impact Ys IV could have made on my mind had I played it back then...

Thanks a lot again!

ps: you need to change that video of Burning Sword. That is from the Perfect Collection and not the ingame version. In fact of that challenge trilogy this one is the lesser one imo (but still good).
Old May 14, 2015, 06:39 PM

Really enjoyed the composer interviews for Ys IV. I always wondered what kind of music influenced them. Now if only we had something like this for the Super Famicom version.

Last edited by Spirit_Chaser; May 14, 2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old May 19, 2015, 07:25 AM

alright, the Senko no Ronde developer interview and Battle Garegga composer commentaries are up!

I would have liked to do some of the other runner-ups this month too, but I just ran out of time. I've got them on my radar for the future though. I hope everyone enjoyed this little campaign! vgmdb has been and continues to be an amazing resource for me, both in tracking down obscure composers and their works, and in the sheer number of liner notes provided. There's a lot of great content hidden away in them, and while I've mined what I personally think is interesting, no doubt there's more that I haven't even considered (like that JDK interview, for instance).

I'll be visiting other forums in the coming months, so if you're a member there, perhaps you'll get another chance. And if you'd like to vote like this every month, please consider supporting my patreon!
Old May 20, 2015, 07:37 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Only finding out about that now. Thank you for your amazing work.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niki View Post
Only finding out about that now. Thank you for your amazing work.
I recognize you from the shmup forums! You're the man blakcoak. I wish I had seen this earlier to vote for the Silent Hill Interviews. Oh well, hopefully it happens soon.