VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > VGMdb Site Related > Questions and Comments
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:33 AM

Default The "Featured On" Section of the Discography

What's the purpose of this, exactly? I was under the impression composers were in "blue" when their compositions were featured on a soundtrack when they didn't actively participate on the game. If this is true, there are untold amounts of CD's that need to be altered with this. If it's not true then, again, what's the point?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:44 AM
VGMdb Administrator

The main reason: so that composer discographies aren't cluttered with doujin albums.

We also use it for all classical compositions that are borrowed. Beyond that, there are some few cases where it is used. I've seen it used for some of what you describe, like if a theme from game 1 in a series is rearranged for game 6 in a series, but the original composer isn't involved. Are these the albums you mean when you say there are a bunch that need changed?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
I've seen it used for some of what you describe, like if a theme from game 1 in a series is rearranged for game 6 in a series, but the original composer isn't involved. Are these the albums you mean when you say there are a bunch that need changed?
Yes.

Recently, composers from the original Suikoden were added to the Suikoden V OST because some old themes were arranged for the game. Based on your reasoning above, wouldn't you agree these composers should be in blue?

I'm just concerned with consistency here. It makes no sense to do this with some albums, and not others. There are truly many that need to be changed, and some are not immediately obvious. I also think this is an important distinction to make, so that artists are not improperly credited for work they didn't do.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:33 AM
Trusted Editor

Speaking of "featured", can we get a more accurate breakdown on the side bar in the artist page? If you're using featured as a way to prevent doujin albums from cluttering the disco page, should they be counted towards a composers total summary?

Can we either filter it there so it's an accurate representation of the persons works or if you don't agree on filtering, can we get a separate breakdown that says how many the artist composed for albums vs where they were just featured?

A few good examples are Uematsu. While he is quite a busy man, is 480+ albums really accurate if 40% of them are from featured doujin albums? Or Chopin, is it really accurate to say he composed anything for video games since he's long-since passed? His themes might be reoccurring for sure but he did not specifically contribute.

I think a separate breakdown would be nice.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:37 AM

We have multiple discussions but didn't end up with a consensus.

I'm not a big fan of listing so many albums where the artist's past compositions are just used at the composer's main discography, but putting them into the orange clouds of doujin albums is even more problematic. My personal solution is to separate the discography into three zones (official, reprise and doujin).

For a classic composers, I actually think the role of this function isn't so big, since they passed aways ages ago, and it's unlikely they will ever score VGM, so we don't need to worry about separation
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:04 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
My personal solution is to separate the discography into three zones (official, reprise and doujin).
I second that! I really don't like to see doujin and reprise in the same zone.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:55 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Yeah, I'm all for the separate breakdown myself. I suppose I can make it three tabs. The discography layout needs a good reworking as a whole.