VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:40 AM
VGMdb Staff

I reverted the release date change. Square Enix official page, e-SHOP, and all Japanese shops still list this as releasing on Friday. Amazon US is the only one showing a delay.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 07:43 AM

This may unintentionally reveal how far the Remake goes, in terms of plot.

The track titles of the Remake music is identical (so far) to the original. That said, tracks 1-7 are well within the boundaries of the first Midgar scenario. However, track 8 is "Main Theme of FINAL FANTASY VII", which as we know is the original game's world map theme. In that game, entering the world map doesn't actually happen till the Midgar scenario ends, as it's the beginning of the Kalm/Cloud's Nibelheim flashbacks scenario.

While the end of Midgar would serve as a functional endpoint of Remake Episode 1, so would the flashbacks. I haven't looked at any of the spoiler stuff that has leaked, so let's leave it out of this thread! I was merely pointing out what this tracklist shows.

On another note: the Remake multi-episode plan means rethinking how the soundtrack would have been produced. Will the main battle theme and boss theme, which will appear in Remake 1, be re-used in future episodes? Or will they be a completely new arrangement in each game? To me it makes far more sense to re-use, since other assets like character models will be re-used (and from a developer perspective you're getting a great return on re-used assets in a multi-episode set of games).

I'm dying to know who the arrangers are. Certainly they've hired an army just like with FF15, and the vast majority of the music will be live. Clips of the music from the demo clearly show that single tracks of music have multiple versions and dynamically change depending on the situation (as is common these days). We still don't know for sure Uematsu's involvement; first he didn't want to do it, then he did sign on and did some work, but then took a "leave of absence" from September 2018. Surely his employees continued working. I bet we see Yoshitaka Suzuki back for sure, and Shota Nakama, who helmed the arranging of most of Shimomura's work for 15, could be back as well. I keep hoping for Naoshi Mizuta and Mitsuto Suzuki to take a bigger role in mainline Final Fantasy, because I think they're the best Square's got.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:37 PM

From what I've heard so far from the demo, I must that that I'm not really impressed by the remake's music. Sounds way too heavy and Hollywood-esque, like a typical Remote Control production and brings back memories from FF15 as well.

I'm sure Mitsuto Suzuki is involved as well as Tsutomu Narita and Yoshitaka Suzuki. I really hope that Takeharu Ishimoto isn't involved or at least not very much, because I'm not a fan of his latest style (FFVII CC was really good, BC okay, too, but the rest)

Also I'm curious what new pieces Uematsu wrote for this remake. And will there be a theme song? Or maybe more than one? Let's wait and see

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Jan 28, 2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post
I reverted the release date change. Square Enix official page, e-SHOP, and all Japanese shops still list this as releasing on Friday. Amazon US is the only one showing a delay.
Yeah, looks like the delay only affects the US and Europe. The Square Enix EU & US Store now both show a March release, but it's indeed out tomorrow in Japan judging from a few Yahoo Auctions Japan listings.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 04:58 AM
VGMdb Staff

Arranged by Yoshitaka Suzuki, Shotaro Shima, Yoshiki Nakamura *typo of Yoshinori Nakamura

All 3 previously worked on KH3.

Last edited by cal; Jan 30, 2020 at 05:07 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextday View Post

All 3 previously worked on KH3.
maybe now they will be able to work on kh3 ost =)
Old Jan 30, 2020, 05:33 AM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
maybe now they will be able to work on kh3 ost =)
I'm guessing it will be announced soon considering the Re Mind DLC was released this week (which had new music). I think that's probably what they were waiting for.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 05:38 AM

So you're saying that there's gonna be new music in some yet-unannounced DLC for Link's Awakening and once that happens the album is gonna come out, right? RIGHT?!
Old Jan 30, 2020, 05:58 AM

I don't think remembering some companies has ever waited for months to release an ost after a game went out
so waiting for just some useless dlc for releasing an ost (I thought about that possibility when I heard about that dlc)
what if they make several dlc like with ffxv and they wait for no more dlc to release an ost, good luck to wait for an ost like 2-3 years after game

I thought kh franchise was popular enough to get an ost sometime after game's release
if s-e had done the same with ffxv (game released in nov 2016 -> latest dlc in march 2019 -> so expecting ost like 2.5 years after ;p)
Old Jan 30, 2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
I don't think remembering some companies has ever waited for months to release an ost after a game went out
so waiting for just some useless dlc for releasing an ost (I thought about that possibility when I heard about that dlc)
what if they make several dlc like with ffxv and they wait for no more dlc to release an ost, good luck to wait for an ost like 2-3 years after game

I thought kh franchise was popular enough to get an ost sometime after game's release
if s-e had done the same with ffxv (game released in nov 2016 -> latest dlc in march 2019 -> so expecting ost like 2.5 years after ;p)
I remember KH Birth By Sleep's OST came out a year after its initial release with the additional tracks from the Final Mix version.
Also, KH HD 1.5 ReMIX's soundtrack came out a year and a half later (same day as 2.5), and I believe we still have no soundtrack for KH 2.8, so I'd say it's not unusual for the franchise.

So, yeah, if we have to wait for more DLC for the soundtrack to come, we're not going to get it anytime soon
Old Jan 30, 2020, 03:12 PM

A lot of Yoshitaka Suzuki's arrange work sounds so samey and by numbers. I suspect he'll have a pretty big presence on the full soundtrack, but I can't help but wish Suzuki or Narita were leading the sound direction.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:12 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunayl View Post
Yeah, looks like the delay only affects the US and Europe. The Square Enix EU & US Store now both show a March release, but it's indeed out tomorrow in Japan judging from a few Yahoo Auctions Japan listings.
Can confirm it's ready to go out in Japan. Just got a shipping confirmation for my Amazon Japan order.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 04:52 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

It's been confirmed that both Masashi Hamauzu and Mitsuto Suzuki are involved with the soundtrack. It seems as though Nobuo Uematsu's only role is composing the new vocal theme, "Hollow".

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/...make-composers
Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Porter View Post
It's been confirmed that both Masashi Hamauzu and Mitsuto Suzuki are involved with the soundtrack.
YES!!! I wasn't all that interested but now I am because of their involvement.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife View Post
YES!!! I wasn't all that interested but now I am because of their involvement.
Same, this is a pleasant surprise.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 05:28 AM

First I was a little worried about the outcome of this soundtrack, but now that Masashi Hamauzu is on board, I'm quite relieved! I love his work as composer and he's an excellent arranger as well. And Mitsuto Suzuki's great, too. I think it's a nice blend of electronic / symphonic arrangements.

However, I'm a little disappointed with Uematsu only writing the theme song as usual, if it's true. But in fact - I do love "Hollow" so far, it's haunting and beautiful, reminds me a bit of Crisis Core or Linkin Park! I'm glad Uematsu hasn't lost his talents in composing excellent theme songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZKR9slSECg

Last edited by Mac_Tear; Feb 2, 2020 at 05:30 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 04:47 PM
Trusted Editor

I'm a little disappointed this doesn't have an mp3 download code... guess I'll just have to wait for the Mini Soundtrack in the game edition. :'(
Old Apr 29, 2020, 04:20 AM
Trusted Editor

changed the release date back since this is the Japanese release, which did release officially on January 31.