VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:48 PM

I was just looking over the credits and I was kind of shocked by how much Shimomura was involved. More specifically, how she mostly wasn't involved. XD I've liked all the samples I've heard though and still want to pick this up. Sounds like a pretty decent soundtrack!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 03:15 PM

Biggest case of false advertisement ever in the VGM realm? How the heck can they refer to Shimomura as the lead composer when she was only responsible for composing a handful of tracks? Not saying the soundtrack isn't good (it actually is decent from what I've heard so far), just saying.. bait and switch!

I'm actually kinda glad it ended up like that though. This can only mean she's spending more time on 3rd Birthday. At least I hope that's the case!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:34 PM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_miker View Post
I'm actually kinda glad it ended up like that though. This can only mean she's spending more time on 3rd Birthday. At least I hope that's the case!
Shimomura will only compose vocal tracks in it and Ishimoto will compose the rest of the stuff. Just according to keikaku*.

*keikaku means plan

But to the point if there's one, really annoying when soundtracks are being advertised by composer x or y doing stuff and then they're not doing even half of the tunes. Like in this and Luminous Arc for instance.

But atleast less Shimomura tracks only mean that there's not so much bad Shimomura tracks.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
But to the point if there's one, really annoying when soundtracks are being advertised by composer x or y doing stuff and then they're not doing even half of the tunes. Like in this and Luminous Arc for instance.
I've found this trend growing since ever Basiscape was expanded, but am lately leaning toward a notion that it's indeed a pretty good change for the current industry that is dominated by many tired veterans, since it may give more chances to young talents (of course it may also kill individual creativity, like Falcom sound team jdk where everybody involved is forced to compose only something generic, cheesy yet melodic). I normally don't care about Shimomura, much less a four disc filler-packed one from her, but the involvements of lesser known co-composers make me curious to this soundtrack.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:13 AM

Xenoblade is like the perfect case of old mixed with "new" composers: the old composer is popular enough to make people interested, the other composers are good enough to sustain this interest, and (most important for me) all tracks are properly credited.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedille View Post
I normally don't care about Shimomura, much less a four disc filler-packed one from her, but the involvements of lesser known co-composers make me curious to this soundtrack.
In that case, this soundtrack might be perfect for you since Shimomura only composed 11 tracks (and three of them were arranged by ACE+).

Honestly, I was hoping for more music by Shimomura, but this really does provide a good opportunity for other composers to get some decent exposure. I'm not very familiar with Manami Kiyota and ACE+ either. I'll have to check them out!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 04:13 PM

So far, from what I've listened to of this OST, I'm quite impressed. My particular favorite track, so far, is the closing theme, "Beyond the Sky"; the vocalist has both a great voice and accent, and the melody is beautiful without being overly cheesy or sappy.

I am surprised at how sparse Shimomura's contributions to the score is (although it's more lengthier than her more scanty collaborations on Arc Rise Fantasia -- another score which I'm really enjoying), but that doesn't matter. This is great stuff.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 08:44 AM
Trusted Editor

I finally finished listening to the full soundtrack, after having the first 2 discs on repeat for the first days.

Score is fantastic, I can't even say that Shimomura's tracks are better than the rest. It's a really good mix and ACE+ and Manami Kiyota do a splendid job. Looking forward to hear more from them, especially from Kiyota.

Leaves me with Mitsuda and the ending theme "Beyond the Sky". I can only agree with JTurner, lovely vocal work by Sarah Lim - excellent composition by Mitsuda. It's totally different from the vocal themes I know from him, but it really fits into the other score.
While Eri Kawai is still (and will probably always be) my favorite vocalist Mitsuda has worked with, Sarah Lim's voice is also seems very 'compatible' with the style Mitsuda creates. Maybe we can hear more of her!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 09:01 AM
Trusted Editor

"Beyond the Sky" lyrics:
Quote:
Tell me why, the reason I am here
Just only you I see from far away
I've come for you

Don't know why, I searched all night and day
But when I'm here, darkness came
No lights to show the way

Dark despair, still I seek for you
All I long to see was your smile

I know I won't look behind, I see no regrets
No guiding lights so dark, are you my light?
But now I am here, and you're close to me.
My heart is with you, forever and ever...

See this place, the end of world she fears
No shining lights anywhere
This emptiness in tears

Didn't know,
It was you all along
You were chasing after my shadows

I know I won't look behind, I see no regrets
No guiding lights so dark, are you my light?
But now I am here, and you're close to me.
My hearts is with you, forever and ever...

No I won't let you go, I will hold it in my arms
Oh! This light was you!

I know it now, beyond the sky,
There's new place you'll see
I came to you to share our dream together
I won't let us part, there's no place to be
My heart is with you, forever and ever...
Dunno if these belong into the notes field.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 06:38 PM

Hey guys, thought I'd suggest for 116, the word that came to my mind meaning a facial expression is "countenance".
Old Jul 12, 2010, 04:15 AM

_if : you didn't read page 1 ?

Last edited by Phonograph; Jul 12, 2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:31 AM

Oh hell, sorry, I missed your edit to your post about it. Somehow.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:03 AM

Anyone else think Saihate Village starts like a second's worth of music is missing from the beginning?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:44 PM

BTW, has anyone noticed that the tracklist seems out of order? I wonder if there was a way to rearrange the tracklist so as to make it more chronological.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:31 AM

Not really... track 1 on the CD is track 1 on the CD. Track 2 on the CD is track 2 on the CD. Etc. Sure you could make up any tracklist you want, but it really wouldn't make sense when you look at the CD. I guess you could post one here for fun though... I see people posting gigantic lists of who they think composed what song when there are no composer credits, so why not right?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:12 AM
Trusted Editor

I think JTurner meant that the first two discs contain the event tunes (in chronological order if I'm not mistaken) and last two dics contain the battle/field tunes.

He probably just wants them mixed together in chronological order.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:35 AM
Trusted Editor

Then yes, this was already noticed shortly after the release.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:54 AM

I thought this was an amazing soundtrack. Probably my favorite RPG soundtrack aside from Grandia II.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:57 AM

I enjoyed it immensely too, but there was far too much filler to consider it one the best. For me, anyway.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:16 PM

Did anyone else notice that the case says "Made in HKG" on it? Does that mean "made in Hong Kong"? Dog Ear's other releases so far have been made in Japan, as are most other VGM CDs. I wonder why...
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:09 AM

Overall a good soundtrack. It doesn't live up to the promise inherent in Shimomura's main theme, but there are a good number of gems from each of the composers. I could do without some of the Zimmer-style action music, though, and "Parting, And..." has got to be one of the most overly sentimental things I've heard in years. All bombast and no substance.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 02:17 AM

This is one of the best OST's for me in recent history. And probably the best RPG soundtrack I think of in a long time!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:46 PM

Is anyone interested in an alternate tracklist featuring Nintendo Europe's English localization? There aren't many differences, but here are the applicable changes:

2.01 Aegir ---> Egil
2.04 Shulk and Fiorung ---> Shulk and Fiora
2.14 Xanthe ---> Zanza

3.12 Sator, Phosphorescent Land ---> Satorl Marsh
3.13 "
3.16 Macuna Woods ---> Makna Forest
3.17 "
3.18 Saihate Village ---> Frontier Village
3.19 "
3.20 Eruyt Sea ---> Eryth Sea
3.21 "
3.22 Achamoth, Imperial City ---> Alcamoth
3.23 "

4.04 Snowy Mt. Valac ---> Mt. Valak
4.05 "
4.06 The Great Sword's Canyon ---> Sword Valley
4.07 "
4.13 Machina's Hideout ---> Hidden Machina Village
4.14 Field of the Machinae ---> Mechonis Field
4.16 Agni Ratha, Imperial Capital ---> Agniratha
4.17 "
4.18 Central Arsenal ---> Central Factory
4.20 Inside the Giant / Carcass ---> Bionis' Interior
4.21 "
4.24 Into the World of Xanthe ---> Into the World of Zanza

There are three field BGM tracks that don't use the name of their respective areas, but in case it's helpful to anyone:

Track 3.24, "Where the Ancestors Sleep", is used in the High Entia Tomb.
Tracks 4.10/11 "Into Deadlands..." are used on the Fallen Arm.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 05:30 PM
VGMdb Administrator

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Adding to this:

1.07 モナド is usually referred to as "the Monado," so "The Monado Reacts"
2.12 巨神 localized as Bionis (機神 = Mechonis)
3.09 is the theme of the Refugee Camp area, so I'd vote for "Camp" over "Camping" (also "Escape Ship" may be more appropriate than "Escape Boat" here)
4.08 Galahad Fortress

EDIT:
kind of spoilery:
4.14 I don't 100% agree with the word choice of "Machinae" here, since the Machina are a specific group of people and they mostly reside elsewhere. Almost all of the machines in this area are "Mechon." This place is named after the giant, not the people, anyway.

Last edited by CHz; Jul 7, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 06:13 PM

actually, retrospectively, I'd have had to translate saihate
it's maybe the previous and following kana which didn't make me realize

and now I'm thinking about it, field of the machinae was a bad idea
mainly because of machina in the previous track and secondly because it's not close to the original meaning of kishinkai
Old Jul 7, 2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post

4.08 Galahad Fortress
要塞 = Fort, 砦 = Fortress
Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
要塞 = Fort, 砦 = Fortress
CHz is referring to Nintendo Europe's localization.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:08 PM

I've finished this game and I was panicking by the end of disc 2 because I hardly recognized anything. Then the goodness of disc 3 was unleashed.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:32 PM

For me, Kiyota really stands out in this score.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenology View Post
For me, Kiyota really stands out in this score.
I think she did great on Satorl Marsh Night and Inside the Giant, because of how well they fit their respective areas. However, the rest of her material here is perfectly average. Some of it--such as Sword Valley and Alcamoth--grew on me, but that's probably because of how many hours I put into the game.

I found ACE+ hit-or-miss: there's the few tracks I like, and then those tracks that are either utterly boring or downright offensive (Irregular Bound, die). I suspect the tracks I liked were primarily by one of the three composers (no idea which, though).

Surprisingly Shimomura turned out my favorite composition on the score (as well as her personal best, IMO) in the beautiful Colony 9.

All in all, I can compress this 4-CD set into a single CD without any tough decisions on cuts. This really would have been a better score with Mitsuda at the helm. Barring his participation, there are still lots of composers (and combinations of composers) who would have delivered a better product. Actually, even Shimomura would have done better than the ACE+/Kiyota combo, and I'm not normally a fan of hers.

One thing I will say in ACE+'s defense is that, regardless of what you think of their music, they have high standards of arrangement and synth/performance quality. So even if I would replace the vast majority of their music with the work of other composers, I can't necessarily guarantee their production values would be as high. Naturally, I wouldn't care, but regrettably some people do.

All things considered, for me, the following are the keepers:
Hometown (YS)
Colony 9 (YS)
Colony 9 Night (YS arr. ACE+)
Fight! (YS)
Gaur Plains (ACE+)
Gaur Plains Night (ACE+)
One Who Gets In Our Way (ACE+)
Satorl Marsh Night (MK)
Where the Ancestors Sleep (MK)
Mt. Valak (ACE+)
Mt. Valak Night (ACE+)
Mechonis Field (ACE+)
Inside the Giant (MK)
Inside the Giant 2 (MK, arr. ACE+)

And that's about it. Colony 9, Gaur Plains, and Mechonis Field are certainly my top 3.

If I had it my way, I'd have kept the above, and assigned Yasunori Mitsuda and Yoshino Aoki the remainder of the score. Aoki especially would have turned out some incredible music for all of those outdoor field areas where Kiyota delivered something agreeable, but hardly memorable. I can dream...

I sincerely hope Mr. Takahashi will bring in a different team for Monoliths Soft's Wii U game (if he is in fact the director of that project, and if it is in fact an RPG).