VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 29, 2020, 07:45 PM

Default MOND-074: Super Castlevania IV Original Video Game Soundtrack

There is another variant of this available now. This was apparently pressed again in 2020 in a translucent blue color - the one I have. However, I'm curious, would that be enough to warrant it's own entry, or would it just get added to the variants in the notes for this one?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 06:07 AM
Trusted Editor

We had a discussion on Discord not too long ago and I think there was general agreement that each color should have its own seperate entry. However, this also means that a lot of titles would appear identical in search unless we could somehow get color represented there to tell them apart, so personally I don't want to start splitting up entries until there's some fix there.

I reckon it's okay in this case, though, since there's a different release date.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 08:43 AM

Is it true all previous releases of this have sound effects in some of the tracks and this vinyl release does not?
Old Jan 1, 2021, 09:26 AM

The old CD versions do, but they're in between the tracks, so not really intrusive. I actually kind of enjoy them for the cinematic feel they create.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:16 AM

Oh ok, as long as they are not dubbed into the middle of the tracks like the Pokemon Red and Green OST then I'm fine with that.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aifread View Post
The old CD versions do, but they're in between the tracks, so not really intrusive. I actually kind of enjoy them for the cinematic feel they create.
This. I think this vinyl uses the audio from CV4 from the second Dracula Best (I could be wrong) at least that was the impression I got when listening to it. There are SE, but they are between tracks like was said above. If you are on the fence about this one I think you'll be pleased with it if you get it as the presentation of the music on Dracula Best 2 was pretty well done IMO.

I will say I did notice some elements of certain tracks I didn't notice before. However, I guess that's to be expected. I always listened to the CD through crappy computer speakers but I was listening to the vinyl though a *real* set of speakers - so that isn't shocking at all.

If you ARE worried about random SE in tracks, I would be wary of the vinyl for the first game. The Castlevania LP uses the first Dracula Best as its sound base and the track "Walking On The Edge" has whip and heart collection sound effects in it. I honestly don't think kills the LP/track, but I was a little disappointed they used Dracula Best 1 as their sound source for it. I think CVII and CVIII are based on off new transfers.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Evans II View Post
If you ARE worried about random SE in tracks, I would be wary of the vinyl for the first game. The Castlevania LP uses the first Dracula Best as its sound base and the track "Walking On The Edge" has whip and heart collection sound effects in it.
Thanks for the warning, but I was already aware of that. I'm buying the Dracula Best box set and will simply use the audio from Castlevania 1 from that set. My plan is to edit the track in Audacity to make a SFX free version as well as keep the SFX one, that way I have a "clean" track and a SFX edit track.