VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:12 PM
Trusted Editor

Question A few questions on Japanese-styled musical composition

So here is something I've always wondered about. What makes Japanese game/anime music have that unique sound? What in their culture/education creates this sound? I know next to nothing about music theory, but I'm pretty sure they use the same primary scales as the west does. Could anybody with advanced musical and/or Japanese culture knowledge answer these?

1) How much of an impact has Japanese traditional music had on modern Japanese music? I'm not talking about old era styled songs (like in Okami), but rather something to do with certain chord progression or a type of mood.

2) Is it possible the Japanese language, and the way it's spoken, has influenced the rhythmic, monophonic melodies of game and anime music? The instrumental chiptune type stuff I mean. I don't write music, but if I make up Japanese-esque nonsensical words, I find it easier to make a certain melody than I would just humming or using something like English. Most likely because Japanese is syllable based, I'd reckon. (Off topic, but has anybody ever noticed Japanese is almost never stuttered? even at a fast tempo, it's spoken almost without error)

3) Off topic, but does anybody else think that in a few hundred years, some of these soundtracks will be looked at as a type/sect of "classical music"?

Soo yea, it would be pretty cool if somebody could answer these haha.