VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:31 PM

Default Help identifying song.

Hi there. A ways back I posted that I was looking for information regarding songs that played in the background of the 80s japanese gameshow Takeshi's Castle. I thought I'd update to see if anyone here is willing to give another try. I was told that the song playing in the background of the first video game from a video game. If anyone knows which game or album it was taken from please speak up. The song in the second video uses a song that sounds similar to the underground theme from mario. If it is the underground theme from mario, does anyone know which version it is?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDcsX...ure=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=877dg...eature=related

If anyone can help me find any of the songs I don't already know you will be rewarded.

Thanks for reading
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:54 AM

it's most likely just some production library music. i can't imagine they'd use video game songs just for the sake of it. not only would they be more difficult to license for use but game music had not really developed an identity and public affection at that time.

PS i love that show
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:42 AM

I've seen Japanese TV shows use very recognizable music from VGM and anime before, in addition to the usual library tracks. I remember once a segment on some variety show or other about a man growing watermelons featured Mitsuda's "Town in the Afternoon" from An Cinniuint.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:59 AM

Then there's always Spring of the East, which was played during the 2008 Olympics. But I don't mean to continue the thread in this direction, and I'm afraid I have no idea what music in being played on that show.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:09 PM

I can assure you the used a lot of liscenced music. I'm not sure how the legalities work in japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
I've seen Japanese TV shows use very recognizable music from VGM and anime before, in addition to the usual library tracks.
Did they use library tracks often on japanese gameshows.?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:19 AM

Just to come back to this thread, you may be right after all! I was watching Takeshi's Castle the other morning and I heard unmistakably the theme to Libble Rabble. It was used on the "stepping stone" challenge. It'd be difficult to find the actual episode where it was used but I can link to the song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YcSjy0zFk#t=0m19s

So yes, you may be vindicated. That's not to say the other songs are definitely from games but it does increase the likelihood substantially.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8blbG...91047&index=11

I recently uploaded this clip from Takeshi's Castle and I was wondering if any one here knows what track is playing in the background. I'm almost positive it's from a video game album. There will be a prize for the first person to identify it correctly.