VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 15, 2007, 12:56 AM

Even though this is significantly different than all the other FF albums (as everyone knows already) it still has some stellar gems.

Maybe the best piano theme ever with Eternity. Brilliant.

Other:
- Gagazet Mountain is great comparable to People of the Far North from FFX
- Besaid (track 231 is an orchestrated version which equals insane shit)
- Yuna's Ballad (Very emotional, great piece, but may not have as much an impact without playing the game)
- Abyss of the Farplane
and the whole end of the second disc from 225-231 is stellar. The last three orchestral tracks are =O

I like how the cover looks like Rikku is going to take a bite out of Yuna's boob.

Last edited by BahamutZ; Dec 15, 2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:28 PM
VGMdb Advisor

People of the Far North from Final Fantasy X was way better than Gagazet Mountain.

Besaid wasn't horrible but I still like Besaid Island from FFX better.

Beautiful indeed.

I'm not that into orchestral music so I guess I have nothing to say about the last tracks.

Hahaha, that cracked me up
Old Jan 12, 2010, 02:58 PM
VGMdb Advisor

The piano collection album is my favorite FF piano, I've decided. And we have the melodies of the OST (and the International OST) to thank for much of that.

The orchestrated Besaid Island track, I had forgotten even existed. That is a good track.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:24 PM

I think I have lost my mind. Its been two years since that post and I can't for the life of me find track 231. Not like it's in the tracklisting, I don't even know what I was referring to.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 02:02 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Yeah, me neither lol, but I was figuring you meant track 15 from Disc 1.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 02:23 PM

Something tells me that the picture titled "Front" is not the real front of the package... I found this scan and am led to believe it's the actual front of the box, whereas our "Front" just refers to the booklet.

This is our picture currently titled "Back". The one I found matches this way more.

On another topic, it looks like there is a data track involved, looking at that scan of the back.

Last edited by Hellacia; Apr 23, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 02:45 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Something tells me that the picture titled "Front" is not the real front of the package... I found this scan and am led to believe it's the actual front of the box, whereas our "Front" just refers to the booklet.
That's right, the "Front" scan is the front of the booklet and the image you found is same as the one seen in our "Box" scan. And the other side of that piece of paper is just black.

Quote:
This is our picture currently titled "Back". The one I found matches this way more.
Yeah, that's the back insert for the CD case. Same image as one used in the box.

Quote:
On another topic, it looks like there is a data track involved, looking at that scan of the back.
Disc 1, track 32 is a data track. It just has a mediaplayer for playing back the tracks on the disc.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 02:55 PM

Haha, interesting, don't know of many releases that come with a media player. Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 04:49 PM
VGMdb Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellacia View Post
Haha, interesting, don't know of many releases that come with a media player. Thanks for the info.
It's probably because the CD protection makes it so some CD/DVD players can't play the discs.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:51 AM

Is there a composer breakdown anywhere?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:20 PM

There's no official breakdown. From interviews we know that Matsueda and Eguchi's working style has been to do some tracks alone and some tracks together. We're not sure how this specifically applies to X-2.

I've worked out an unofficial breakdown for myself which I'll post when it seems reasonable to do so. There's actually, in my opinion, a lot of really obvious credits. However, what isn't obvious is the extent to which one composer worked on another's track. For example, I'm pretty sure that Matsueda is the composer of Yuna's Theme and Eguchi is the composer of the final battle tracks. But there's no way to know if either composer contributed something small (or large) to each other's work.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 03:22 PM

FINAL FANTASY X-2 Unofficial Composer Breakdown

Noriko Matsueda (NM)
Takahito Eguchi (TE)

As I mentioned previously, there's no way to tell to what extend each composer worked on another's track. I would presume there was quite a bit of crossover. For the purposes of this breakdown, I'm just going to list who I believe to be the "main" composer of each track. That said, some are just too close to call or just seem equal in contribution, so I attributed these tracks to both composers.

Matsueda has a pretty distinct style, which is useful for things like this. Unfortunately, Eguchi does not. What helped me was listening to some of the music from Trinity Blood. In fact, the first few tracks of that anime score really give clues on Eguchi's tendencies. He even uses some of the same samples as heard on X-2.

According to SEMO, Eguchi is the composer of 1000 Words. I'll buy that. I do know that he is the orchestrator, and also has traditionally handled all live instrumentation arrangement on Racing Lagoon and Bouncer. Thus, I believe here he is responsible for at least arranging any instances of live guitar parts. I also believe he's responsible for the frequent sound effects on many tracks.

On the other hand, if there's a piano solo, you can bet it's Matsueda's work.
-----------------------------

DISC 1
01 Eternity ~Memories of Light and Waves~ (NM)
02 real Emotion (FFX-2 Mix) (Kazuhiro Tada)
03 YuRiPa Fight No.1 (TE)
04 Yuna's Theme (NM)
05 YuRiPa Fight No.2 (NM)
06 Mission Complete (NM)
07 Sphere Hunter - The Seagulls (NM)
08 Mission Start (TE)
09 Mount Gagazet (NM)
10 YuRiPa Fight No.3 (NM)
11 Game Over (NM)
12 Lady Leblanc Has Everything! 1:45
13 I'll Give You Something Hot (NM)
14 Shuyin's Theme (NM)
15 Besaid (NM)
16 Kilika (NM)
17 Luca (NM)
18 Mi'ihen Highroad (NM)
19 Mushroom Rock Road (NM)
20 The Youth League (NM)
21 The Machina Faction (NM)
22 Guadosalam (NM/TE)
23 Thunder Plains (NM/TE)
24 Macalania Forest (NM) [this is basically an arrangement of Mt. Gagazet]
25 Bikanel Desert (NM/TE)
26 The New Yevon Party (TE)
27 Calm Lands (NM)
28 Zanarkand Ruins (NM)
29 Sphere Hunter (NM)
30 Temple (TE)
31 Tension (NM)

DISC 2
01 The Seagulls March (NM/TE)
02 Great Being (TE) [references Nightmare of the Cave briefly]
03 Good Night (NM)
04 Anxiety (TE)
05 Infiltration! Leblanc's Hideout (NM) [uses Leblanc theme]
06 Rikku's Theme (NM)
07 Chocobo (TE) [uses an extremely disfigured Chocobo theme, include Nobuo Uematsu in the credits if you wish]
08 Paine's Theme (NM)
09 Bevelle's Secrets (TE)
10 Under Bevelle (TE)
11 Yuna's Ballad (NM) [an arrangement of Yuna's Theme]
12 Assistance Store Seagulls (NM) [uses Yuna's Theme]
13 It's Our Turn Now! (NM)
14 Labyrinth 1:43 [basically an alternative version of Infiltration]
15 Turmoil (TE) [lol at this track. First there's the super common orchestral samples heard in many TV shows and films, such as X-Files. Then there's the overall homage to William's Jaws score]
16 Summoned Beast (TE)
17 The Farplane Abyss (TE) [uses 1000 Words theme]
18 Eternity ~Band Member Performance~ (NM) [an arrangement of track 1]
19 1000 Words (FFX-2 Mix) (TE)
20 Nightmare in the Cave (NM/TE) [piano solo Matsueda, the rest is Eguchi]
23 Thunder Plains (NM
21 The Akagi Squad (NM)
22 Vegnagun Activating (NM/TE) [piano solo Matsueda, the rest is Eguchi]
23 Clash (TE)
24 Desperate Struggle (TE)
25 Ruin (TE)
26 Demise (TE)
27 1000 Words Piano Version ~Feelings That Crossed Time~ (TE)
28 Ending ~Until the Day We Meet Again~ (NM/TE) [uses Yuna's Theme briefly; orchestrated by Eguchi]
29 1000 Words Orchestra Version (TE)[orchestrated by Eguchi]
30 Epilogue ~Reunion~ (NM) [an arrangement of Besaid; orchestrated by Eguchi]

--------------------------------
I think Eguchi provided a lot of arrangement, engineering, and other support for a lot of the tracks I attributed to Matsueda. However, I do believe Matsueda did the lion's share of the actual "composing". Here trademark jazz style is everywhere, and as I mentioned above, I'm positive all piano/keyboard solo parts are composed and performed by her (with the exception of 1000 Words, which she probably still performed). It's her specialty, after all.

As always, feedback is appreciated!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:10 AM

Very interesting, thank you so much! I had ignored this OST forever, but the piano collections is so nice that I thought about giving this OST a chance too. You sure know what you're talking about and I would bet my money on that analysis!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:08 AM
Trusted Editor

I wonder if people could contact Eguchi and ask about breakdowns, would be interesting to see how close Jormu is on his breakdown theory.

And Namorbia, I'm disappointed in you. Ignoring this gem for so long. :/ Don't say that you've been ignoring other Matsueda/Eguchi albums also?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:14 PM
VGMdb Advisor

He stayed at my place for a week with Racing Lagoon OST resting on a shelf 4 feet above his bed. I think I may have failed us all in that I didn't make him listen.

On the other hand, I did play some X-2 piano for Namorbia. So, that's a boon.

I think Finland will be the country that breaks the Matsueda silence. fingers crossed!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:17 PM
Trusted Editor

Yeah, we could say that you failed, but I won't. He will be shown the gloriousness of Matsuda/Eguchi-combo soon.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:07 PM

I've never heard the Racing Lagoon soundtrack. Would you guys say it's as good as Final Fantasy X-2's soundtrack? I love X-2's soundtrack, it's full of a lot of fun music. And don't forget about The Bouncer, it also delivers their same hip style. How does Racing Lagoon rank?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:27 PM
VGMdb Advisor

If you like The Bouncer and Final Fantasy X-2 you're bound to love at least something from Racing Lagoon It's one of my favorite soundtracks from the duo. Actually I prefer it over The Bouncer and possibly even FFX-2.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:42 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Racing Lagoon has a lot of trance/techno, but with memorable melodies too. The first 10 tracks of disc 1 are solid.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:51 PM

I prefer both Racing Lagoon and The Bouncer to FFX-2, parts of which strike me as phoned in. The Piano Collections album was excellent, though.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramza View Post
I think Finland will be the country that breaks the Matsueda silence. fingers crossed!
What is this that I am out of the loop on?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:58 PM

Okay, Matsuda/Eguchi fans seem to like Racing Lagoon, so I'll have to listen. I don't think this soundtrack was phoned in at all, I like a lot of the music on this soundtrack. The Bouncer I like less as a whole, but it still has some songs I really love. I don't find Matsuda and Eguchi to be 100% consistent in delivering "good stuff" all the time, but then I think few VGM composers are, especially when you consider the medium for which they're writing.

Ramza, you don't like trance, or find it to be memorable? I would guess you're not a fan of Wangan Midnight then. There are times when I want to trip out to some trance and techno, so it already sounds good to me. Thanks for the recommendation everybody.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:58 PM

personally I like bahamut lagoon ost and ffx-2 ost but I pretty hate racing lagoon ost (don't remember about the bouncer ost)
without forgetting to say the game is boring, I stopped playing after like 5-10 minutes
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:56 AM

Nice breakdown Joe. But I'm not so sure about your assertion that most tracks featuring piano are by Noriko Matsueda, given Takahito Eguchi is in fact a seasoned session pianist. D.N. Angel is filled with his piano compositions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenofan 29A View Post
I prefer both Racing Lagoon and The Bouncer to FFX-2, parts of which strike me as phoned in. The Piano Collections album was excellent, though.
My thoughts exactly. The Bouncer and Racing Lagoon are much more polished and satisfying IMO. FFX-2 has its moment, but it hasn't aged too well -- many of the jazzier pieces are superficial and repetitive, while the orchestral tracks are incredibly derivative.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nice breakdown Joe. But I'm not so sure about your assertion that most tracks featuring piano are by Noriko Matsueda, given Takahito Eguchi is in fact a seasoned session pianist. D.N. Angel is filled with his piano compositions.
I didn't know that, interesting. In that case, I suppose it's likely he performed the piano parts on his own compositions then. However, I do still think any jazz piano is by Matsueda. I'm going to listen to some D.N. Angel and see if that better informs me about Eguchi's style, which I don't have a strong ear for yet.

I agree with the consensus here that Bouncer and Racing Lagoon are better than X-2. By biggest problem with X-2 is how short and subsequently undeveloped much of the music is. Whereas the former two are more robust. Bouncer actually has some really brilliant stuff, especially many of the stage themes. They're just packed with great content.

Although, I don't really consider Racing Lagoon a Matsueda-Eguchi collaboration: only a handful of tracks feature Eguchi as co-composer. It's primarily a Matsueda score.

For the record, Mortavia, Racing Lagoon doesn't have any trance, and very little could be considered techno. Not trying to sound pedantic, but I'd rather not give any misconceptions about the soundtrack if you're looking for something in particular.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:03 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
For the record, Mortavia, Racing Lagoon doesn't have any trance, and very little could be considered techno. Not trying to sound pedantic, but I'd rather not give any misconceptions about the soundtrack if you're looking for something in particular.
Completely agree.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:01 PM
VGMdb Advisor

A track like d1t25 "Suspicion" doesn't fit the definiton of trance? It certainly has an ambient electronica vibe in any case.

And I'd be willing to call d1t1 and d1t5 "techno." Maybe I have very loose ... incorrect? ... understandings of genre.

Also for the record I like trance/techno. But for the most part, melody is what sticks to memory. And when a song lacks a strong melody, you can forget the specifics of the song. You can't sing it back. So I love those styles, but "memorable" falls to the melody-makers.

Last edited by Ramza; Jan 15, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:06 AM

I don't know any Eguchi and some of you wrote Matsuda (without the "e") and I thought, "Who are these never-heard composers?" But then I realized it's Matsueda. Now that makes more sense
Old Feb 28, 2015, 06:01 AM

Anyone have the boxset of this OST? Scan shows one strap inside, and I have two (Yuna and Rikku), don't looks like it was added from another. I think present scan of boxset is incomplete, but please anyone confirm. Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2015, 04:16 PM

The scan is correct, only the Rikku strap came with the first print OST.
There are 3 additional straps:
- Paine strap, bundled with Ultimania / eStore exclusive.
- Dark blue Yuna strap, came with preorders of Final Fantasy X-2
- Light blue Yuna strap, came with preorders of Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission