VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Miscellaneous Discussion
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 13, 2014, 06:40 PM

Default Best Program to create your own RPG?

I've been looking into creating my own RPG seeing as though there appear to be several programs out there that can make it possible. Does anyone know what the best or better products are?

I was thinking of giving the trial version of this a try:

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/
Old Feb 15, 2014, 06:49 AM

The RPG Maker series is the most user-friendly, by far. No scripting knowledge is necessary, yet scripting (in Ruby) is possible. The user community is fairly robust, and there are hundreds of scripts available to copy-paste into your project to do the things the default program won't do.

With other, more open (and arguably more powerful) engines such as Game Maker, learning particular scripting or coding is mandatory.

People like to bash RPG Maker, often without particular knowledge of the product. Given that you can customize the battle system (with scripts) and replace all art and sound assets, RPG Maker VX Ace, for example, is a tool capable of creating games exactly like any given 2D Final Fantasy title (or for that matter Dragon Quest, Breath of Fire, Lufia, etc.)

You should know that the PC line of RPG Maker software does have some hard limits which are difficult if not impossible to surpass. For example, they specialize in 2D. If you're interested in making a 3D game, this series would be more work than it's worth. Also, the software has some unfortunate resolution limitations which can only be modified slightly with scripts.

I own VX Ace myself, and am very pleased with its capabilities.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:23 PM

Yes, RPG Maker is a great way to make an RPG. It's the easiest way for a beginner to make an RPG, and if you're not a more advanced coder, you can still add more advanced features to your game by downloading a number of scripts from various message boards. I'm a member of one (can't remember its name right now) and requested scripts numerous times, and the community is awesome and pulled through on quite a few of my requests.

I've used Game Maker too, and I love it, but I think that if you wanted to go with an RPG in particular, RPG Maker would be the way to go. I would recommend Game Maker for ventures into other genres. You could certainly make an RPG in it, but I think it would be easier in RPG Maker.