VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 10, 2009, 04:00 AM

Shouldn't catalog numbers of bundled and promo soundtracks be N/A if no catalog number is indicated in the soundtrack's liner notes, the actual disc, etc. or found on the web? I know an explanation for using the game's catalog number for this soundtrack has already been mentioned in the notes, but is this how these types of soundtracks should be cataloged?

I noticed some bundled soundtracks, including this one, cataloged with SLPM-, but SLPM is generally used for Japanese Playstation games. A separate database for game discs already exists at redump.org, and I can see there being some confusion when the same catalog number is used for two entirely different but related things (games and vgm).

Last edited by L3000; Apr 10, 2009 at 04:48 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 04:10 AM
VGMdb Administrator

That's true. Generally we should avoid using the game catalog number as the enclosure disc catalog number, unless it's actually printed on the disc or booklet (like some of the Disgaea soundtracks). Enclosures tend to have their own unique numbers more often than not.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablah View Post
That's true. Generally we should avoid using the game catalog number as the enclosure disc catalog number, unless it's actually printed on the disc or booklet (like some of the Disgaea soundtracks). Enclosures tend to have their own unique numbers more often than not.
Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to check before I make changes to the catalog number of any entries that use a game's catalog number.