VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:59 AM

I don't think this is the correct title. Its an arranged album and yet its called game music?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:09 AM
VGMdb Administrator

If you zoom in on the spine, you can make out that it does say "game music soundtrack" ("ゲームミュージックサウンドトラック").

http://vgmdb.net/db/covers.php?do=view&cover=11072

I think in the early days of game music, they weren't as good at coming up with titles that properly reflected the contents.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:09 AM

That's probably true. They do mispell a lot in English as well, even when they have it correct before. F-Zero's arranged album was simply F-Zero. I was afraid to get it because of the confusion.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:12 PM

Could we create a link for Kenichi Kimura?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:58 AM
VGMdb Staff

We'd need to figure out a bit more about him first, or it would just point to an empty profile page. There are a few other albums in the db from the same time period which also have a 'Kenichi Kimura' credited for arrangement, so possibly it's the same person, but it might be hard to know for sure.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:05 AM

I am certain they are the same person.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 08:34 AM

According to this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_E...f_the_Holy_War

When first revealed, it was known under the tentative title of Fire Emblem: Inheritors of Light. It was originally scheduled for a release in March 1996.[22] Genealogy of the Holy War was released on May 14, 1996.[23] It is the second title to be released for the Super Famicom.[24] Its Japanese title, Seisen no Keifu, has been alternately translated as "Descent of Jihad" and "Genealogy of the Holy War": the latter has become the more common translation.[6][25]

Going to add "Descent of Jihad" and "Genealogy of the Holy War" as alternative album titles. I won't add inheritor's of light though.

To be consistent, there is another album (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of Holy-War Original Sound Version)
on this site (https://vgmdb.net/album/152)
that refers to the same game (Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu) as this one.

Last edited by zwei7; Apr 5, 2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:43 AM

I don't think it's a good idea to add obscure translations
what if a product has a lot of translations, so it should be added too? even european, asian, etc.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 01:15 PM
VGMdb Administrator

We don't add unofficial translations of game titles, whether they're widely used or not. "Genealogy of Holy-War" is fine on that other album because that's actually printed on it as the English title, so it might be okay to put it here.

I'm also a bit iffy on adding localized titles that were used in official media but which the games were never actually released under (i.e. the extra titles for Fuuin no Tsurugi and Rekka no Ken), but I don't know that we've ever specifically talked about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
what if a product has a lot of translations, so it should be added too? even european, asian, etc.
I can think of a few albums that have multiple localized English titles for both North American and European releases ;(
Old Apr 5, 2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post

I can think of a few albums that have multiple localized English titles for both North American and European releases ;(
not for the same entry?

because 1 jap album can have jap+romaji
1 n/a can have n/a
1 euro can have euro

but adding n/a and euro in jap album would be weird, jap album is released for jap game not for any occurences
otherwise japan will release 1 album for all markets with tracklists in english, french, german, spanish, italian, etc. and multiple names on cd etc.
that'd be a mess for the release itself, too much info kill info

edit: note that since the beginning i'm not for adding localized titles to japanese releases, it has not its place

Last edited by Phonograph; Apr 5, 2020 at 01:27 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 02:11 PM

Personally I think "Products represented" would be a better place to assemble all kinds of translations and variations based on different markets. Albums should stick to what's written on them, with a variation that's internationally readable (so a transliteration).
Old Apr 5, 2020, 03:13 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonograph View Post
not for the same entry?
Yeah I meant on the same entry, both NA & EU localized titles on a JP release

I also agree with y'all, I've never liked putting localized game titles in the title field, but unfortunately the ship has long since sailed on that one

Last edited by CHz; Apr 5, 2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 08:10 PM

Officially localized titles make sense because otherwise someone new to the site would come to the conclusion that there are no soundtrack releases for Mega Man or Secret of Mana because they didn't know they should have searched for Rockman or Seiken Densetsu. Then there's clusterfucks like the Castlevania series where some games are called 悪魔城ドラキュラ (Akumajō Dracula) and some are called キャッスルヴァニア (Castlevania)
Old Apr 5, 2020, 11:12 PM

if you're a real connoisseur, you should know original titles of localized games you play(ed)
so you should know rockman or seiken densetsu 2 or if you played ff1, ff2, ff3 then ff7 it's there is a reason for such a gap between 3 and 7
releases on product can very well be enough for localized, no need to flood any entry for that