VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:59 PM

Now that I've had an opportunity to hear the entire soundtrack, I have to say I luuuurve it. Some of the best music from across the franchise, once again. It sounds to me like Ando did a little over two-thirds of the music, and it seems to me that most of what Ishikawa did is reprised songs from previous games. I'm not expecting this release to clarify composer information, but I guess I don't need it particularly. It'll be interesting to hear the three obligatory bonus arrangements.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:20 PM

Here is the back of the CD, hopefully someone can translate, or at least fill in the Japanese tracklist..

Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:40 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Added the Japanese tracklist.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:38 PM
VGMdb Advisor

I translated those that I felt comfortable with translating / had enough time to translate into something decent. Please fill in the rest if you (anyone) can.

01: The Sky, the Sun, and the World Tree
02: Green Greens
03: The Flower Garden of the Floating Continent
04: Inhale Everything! Big Bang
05: Cave in the Sky
06: Slope Clear
07: Mid-Boss Battle: Chasing a Friend and a Guy
08: Hiking Deep in the Forest
09: Invincible
10: Lightless Dark Clouds
11:
12: Grand Sunstone~Kirby Dance
13: In the Sunlight
14: Bouncing Drums♪
15: Toy Rhythm
16:
17:
18: Sunset in the Sky
19:
20: Guru Guru Jungle
21: Mythology of Gold
22:
23: Mysterious Trap
24: Ripple Red
25: Kirby Fighters!
26:
27: Secret Area: HAL Room
28:
29:
30: Prison of Beauty
31: Big Bang All-Stars
32: The Manipulating Magician Taranza
33: Revenge of the Enemy
34: Reinstatement of the Throne: D.D.D.
35:
36: Dirty&Beauty
37:
38:
39:
40:
41: FLOWERED
42:
43: King Warp!?
44: Battle of the Colosseum
45:
46:
47: Dedede Deluxe!!!
48: Eternally Sleeping Flower in the Moonlight
49:

This page might be helpful to translators: http://ja.kirby.wikia.com/wiki/%E6%9...82.B9.E3.83.88

Last edited by Nisto; May 6, 2014 at 05:11 AM.
Old May 2, 2014, 02:23 PM
VGMdb Administrator

HOLY CRAP GUYS THE SOUND TEST IN THIS GAME GIVES A BREAKDOWN

I haven't verified that this happens in the U.S. release (just came out today lawl), but HAL PR guy Satoshi Ishida posted on Miiverse that different colored notes come out of the jukebox depending on who wrote the song: red for the person in charge of the original Kirby (Jun Ishikawa) and blue for the person in charge of Kirby's Adventure (Hirokazu Ando). This Japanese wiki has a list of all the info: http://ja.kirby.wikia.com/wiki/星のカービ...82.B9.E3.83.88

It does appear that the attribution is to the "artist," because there's at least one place where it credits someone besides the original composer (Ando arranging this version of Green Greens).

(Hey lunar, Ishikawa DID do wobble bass)

Last edited by CHz; May 2, 2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old May 2, 2014, 02:58 PM
Trusted Editor

awesome! makes you wonder if there are other games with something subtle like that with their sound tests.

Last edited by dissident93; May 2, 2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old May 2, 2014, 03:47 PM

I love sound tests. Do you know if there is any music in the game that didn't make it to the CD?
Old May 2, 2014, 04:07 PM
VGMdb Administrator

The sound test has 132 entries, so quite a bit.

A lot of the unreleased tracks are jingles and pieces reused straight from other games, but there are original tunes and new arrangements that didn't make the cut. Nintendo and their one-disc club releases.
Old May 3, 2014, 03:14 AM

Not yet sure about the songs not included on the album, but it transpires that all of my composer guesses for the songs on this CD were 100% accurate ;_; I'm not usually one to gloat but... well ok that's a lie, yes I am. Much like Return to Dream Land, the composer split is pretty obvious, although this time Ishikawa is using some more modern sounds. My favourite songs are 07, 14, 15, 18, 38, 42, and also the "collections" music that wasn't included.

I'm happiest for spotting the Mid Boss battle (07) as being Ando. What a mindblowing piece of music... it's one of those songs I know most people would consider as Ishikawa, yet to me completely sums up Ando's writing. I don't know any other musician in the world who writes like that. Unbelievable.

Indeed, there's a few nice songs left off the album, which is a shame. The most glaring omission is the opening music. Also among those missing is the main menu music, collection music as mentioned, second staff roll, "Fine Field 3" (Prairie Area), "Old Odyssey 3" (Snow Area) and extra stage. In any case, absolutely great music.

Quote:
(Hey lunar, Ishikawa DID do wobble bass)
Well of course

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; May 3, 2014 at 03:17 AM.
Old May 3, 2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
I don't know any other musician in the world who writes like that. Unbelievable.
Truly not saying this to flatter you, but the chord changes honestly brought your Triptune album to my mind.
Old May 3, 2014, 05:18 AM

Haha thanks, I'm glad Ando is a huge huge inspiration to me. (Ishikawa too)

Forgot to mention, I think it's fairly safe to say those three bonus tracks are Ando as well, though I suppose there is nothing official to back that up. Just throwing that out there.

Last edited by Blitz Lunar; May 3, 2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old May 3, 2014, 09:13 PM
VGMdb Administrator

My favorites on the album are 5 (my #1), 7, 14, 15, 23, and 38. I'll co-sign that those three arrangements sound like Ando.

The Triple Deluxe breakdown validates all the time lunar spent trying to distinguish Ishikawa's and Ando's styles. For me, it pretty much confirms that Ando is my favorite person writing video game music today (second place might be Hiroki Morishita, but I need to hear more by him in less collaborative settings). Guy has been at the absolute top of his game in the last few Kirby soundtracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz Lunar View Post
Well of course
I just brought that up because I recall you thinking it was Ando's that first time we were going through tracks on YouTube, but I could be misremembering. Ignore!
Old May 4, 2014, 12:36 PM
Trusted Editor

anybody want to take a shot at translating the titles?
Old May 5, 2014, 02:13 AM

I tried some of them to translate but I think my japanese isn't good enough. I'll do the rest later if I have some spare time but I guess it should be better if someone with properly nihongo skills would translate them.

11. Jump out! To my inner Boss Battle (don't know if that's correct)
16: Boyoyon Bottom Factory (Bottom could also be "Whomp" from SM64 after I've checked its meaning)
17: Inside the smiling Black Mirror
19: Silver's Story (or Silver Story)
22: Anger of the heavenly Mountains (or Angrily Heaven Mountains)
26: Four on Fire!~ Kuno Forest (our "Four People on/of Fire" for the first part)
28: To the Flower's Arrival at the Emperor Town (don't know if this is correct, the particles gave me some headaches how to translate it properly)
29: Moonlight Emperor Town's "Sekutoratoa" (don't know the last part)
Old May 5, 2014, 12:23 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Quick comments on a few tracks (I'm at an airport)

16: This stage has spring-loaded hands that shoot out from the background and smack you, so maybe something like "Boy-yoy-yoing Bump Factory," but with a better word than "bump."

26: Coo's Forest (character from KDL2, reprises his theme)

29: Probably named after Queen Sectonia (クィン・セクトニア), but I'm not sure if that place name セクトラトア is actually used in the game anywhere.

32: Taranza

38: I eventually settled on "Crazed by Unattainable Beauty" ("unattainable beauty" for both the figurative meaning of 鏡花水月 as something that can be seen but not touched and the character's pursuit of beauty) for my own use, but I'm not especially satisfied with it.

Old May 5, 2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHz View Post
Quick comments on a few tracks (I'm at an airport)

16: This stage has spring-loaded hands that shoot out from the background and smack you, so maybe something like "Boy-yoy-yoing Bump Factory," but with a better word than "bump."

26: Coo's Forest (character from KDL2, reprises his theme)

29: Probably named after Queen Sectonia (クィン・セクトニア), but I'm not sure if that place name セクトラトア is actually used in the game anywhere.

32: Taranza

38: I eventually settled on "Crazed by Unattainable Beauty" ("unattainable beauty" for both the figurative meaning of 鏡花水月 as something that can be seen but not touched and the character's pursuit of beauty) for my own use, but I'm not especially satisfied with it.

16. Perhaps it's a sound word, I'll check it the next few hours/days.

26. Makes sense, yes. Coo's Forest it is.

29. My inital thought was "Sectrator", perhaps a word play on Sectonia and extractor - if something like that is in the game.

38. Yes, you're right. 水月鏡花 is a ____-word (forgot the japanese description) for "you can see something but you cannot reach it". I guess it's one of these words from japanese literature to describe things like "falling leaves" for the autumn.

Suigetsu Kyouka means more or less "moonlight reflected on the water and flowers reflected on the mirror"

I'll check the rest later, don't have much time. :/
Old May 5, 2014, 03:18 PM
VGMdb Advisor

CHz, I settled with Daranza because I wasn't sure if "Taranza" was maybe just an English localization or something. But I guess it's not then?

As for 47, I just thought repeating デ (de) fully over and over was redundant, so I just went with the "alphabetical equivalent". You're right though, "de-de-de-deluxe" is certainly more accurate..

Thanks for giving a try at translating some of the other titles, Lucy.
Old May 6, 2014, 12:06 AM
VGMdb Administrator

Taranza is in fact the English localization, but the katakana is タランザ so it's Taranza in Japanese too! Some people on the internet were calling him Daranza before the game came out and I have no idea why because that was never right.

Re. 47, it's not really about the orthography; that title is playing on King Dedede.
Old May 6, 2014, 01:17 AM

39: Regarding the hero, _______ late homecoming! (I'll check ものなんだぜ later out)
40: That star __ soul's battle (I don't know what's the meaning of かけた)

42: (x)'s.
きせき could mean Wonder, Stone, Juwel
きせきの could mean (the) local (place)
1つ could mean "one piece of", the same, a little bit of x

45: The "comeback" of the strongest shadow (Yomigaeru means that it returns back to life, it's free for you guys to do a better interpretation)
46: Actual Peace (or Rest)
49: The erased King and the departing wish (とびだす = 飛び出す I guess)
Old May 6, 2014, 05:09 AM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Some people on the internet were calling him Daranza before the game came out and I have no idea why because that was never right.
Aah. This was probably how I got it to be Daranza then.. I remember looking the character up.. somewhere. Sorry about the screw-up. Will update my translations.

Quote:
Re. 47, it's not really about the orthography; that title is playing on King Dedede.
Well, heh.. I suspected this after my last post. Typical. Anyway, will definitely change this too, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I don't know what's the meaning of かけた
It derives from 架け (kake)
Quote:
架ける 【かける】 (v1,vt) (uk) (sometimes written 掛ける) to suspend between two points; to build (a bridge, etc.); to put up on something (e.g. legs up on table); ED

Last edited by Nisto; May 6, 2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old May 8, 2014, 08:44 AM

Okay, let's try it again:

40 この星をかけた魂の戦い
"That Star's bridged Soul Battle" would be a possible translation.

この = that
kono means "this X close to me" for a better understanding

かけた = briding in the past tense, I guess.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:00 PM

1 The Sky, the Sun, and the World Tree
2 Green Greens
3 The Flower Garden of the Floating Continent
4 Inhale Everything! Big Bang
5 Cave in the Sky
6 Slope (?) Clear/Solved
Note: Unsure if slope is the correct word.
7 Mid-Boss Battle: Chasing a Friend and a Guy
8 Hiking Deep into the Forest
9 Invincible
10 Lightless Dark Clouds
11 Jump Out! Boss Battle in the Front and Back
Note: I think 奥 and 手前 refers to sides
12 Grand Sunstone~Kirby Dance
13 In the Sunlight
14 Bouncing Dedede♪
Note: Context of the song is Dedede bouncing on drums. My theory is that the て-form of 弾む (i.e. はずんで) is used for the sole purpose of having the で sound to be used for Dedede. The ン is used for consistency due to the ん before it. Therefore, since I can't see how the word drum can be derived from the information available, the track title is changed to as above.
15 Toy Rhythm
16 Boing Boing Whomp Factory.
Note: ぼよよん is the sound of bounciness/springiness (e.g. breasts). バッタン is the name of the rectangle stone enemies in the Mario games as well as the sound it makes.
17 A Laughing Figure in the Mirror
18 Sunset in the Sky
19 Silver Story
20 Spin Spin Jungle
21 Golden Myth
22 Mountains Under the Angry Sky
23 Mysterious Trap
24 Ripple Red
25 Kirby Fighters!
26 A Fight With 4 People!~Coo Forest
Note: I think ファイッ is short for ファイト similar to how グッ is short for グッド.
27 Secret Area: HAL Room
28 Flowers Arrive at the Imperial Capital
29 Sectoratoa, the Moonlight Imperial Capital
30 Prison of Beauty
31 Big Bang All-Stars
32 The Manipulating Magician Taranza
33 Revenge of the Enemy
34 Reinstatement of the Throne: D.D.D.
Note: Can't do it.
36 Dirty&Beauty
37 Devourer of Stars
Note: Made up 4-kanji compound that is apparently a play-on-words of the more official 鏡花水月. The composer says that the theme he chose for the song was one of an enchanting feminity reflected in the moon (apparently this song is for a female boss), rather than the solemnity and fear of past game boss themes. As for understand the meaning of the change of the first Kanji, the boss Sectonia is the key. Apparently, she is so obsessed (i.e. 狂) with expressing/attaining beauty, that she joins forces (literally) with the World Tree (i.e. 花) "parasite", and the battlefield takes place under the moon (i.e. 月) that shines brightly blue (i.e. 水). Or my translation/interpretation might be completely wrong. Never played the game either.
39 The Hero is Late!
40 Battle of Souls/Spirits Across The Star(s)
Note: かける is an extremely general word. Most meanings have a common theme: to hang.
41 FLOWERED
42 1 of the Miracles/Wonders ; A Single Trail/Trace
Note: Not sure.
43 The King Warped Away!?
Note: I think the する is implied. Might have to check the game to make sure.
44 Colosseum Battle
45 The Strongest Shadow Revives
46 True Peace
47 Dedede Deluxe!!!
48 Eternally Sleeping Flower in the Moonlight
49 The Disappearance of the King and the Wish that Sprouted Out from the Seed
Old May 8, 2014, 02:33 PM
VGMdb Administrator

Tracks 13, 32, 35, and 37 are the titles of cutscenes in the movie player, so those may have translations in the English version. I can't find a list of names of those movies yet, but it's only been a week since release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzee View Post
6 Slope (?) Clear/Solved
Note: Unsure if slope is the correct word.
Hey I finally figured this one out, this theme plays in puzzle rooms where you have to tilt the 3DS. So maybe something like "A Tilted Solution" or however you want to phrase that.

Quote:
16 Boing Boing Whomp Factory.
Note: ぼよよん is the sound of bounciness/springiness (e.g. breasts). バッタン is the name of the rectangle stone enemies in the Mario games as well as the sound it makes.
I know it's Nintendo and all, but since this is Kirby I think バッタン is probably a loud slamming sound effect and not a reference to Whomps here.

Quote:
Note: Made up 4-kanji compound that is apparently a play-on-words of the more official 鏡花水月. The composer says that the theme he chose for the song was one of an enchanting feminity reflected in the moon (apparently this song is for a female boss), rather than the solemnity and fear of past game boss themes. As for understand the meaning of the change of the first Kanji, the boss Sectonia is the key. Apparently, she is so obsessed (i.e. 狂) with expressing/attaining beauty, that she joins forces (literally) with the World Tree (i.e. 花) "parasite", and the battlefield takes place under the moon (i.e. 月) that shines brightly blue (i.e. 水). Or my translation/interpretation might be completely wrong. Never played the game either.
Ahhh, hmm. I knew flowers were relevant to that battle so I was thinking going literal with that title might not be the worst idea, but since you do in fact fight a crazed flower under a moon the color of water then that does seem like the way to go.

Quote:
43 The King Warped Away!?
Note: I think the する is implied. Might have to check the game to make sure.
This jingle plays in Dedede Tour mode when you use a shortcut warp, so that's legit.
Old May 8, 2014, 02:37 PM

layzee:

39: I think your translation isn't correct here. とは means "concerning", "as far" or "regarding", it should be part of the translation.
42: I guess we will understand it when we hear it in the ingame-scene.
43: Yes, it is.
46: Yes, your translation is better.

Regarding 35: カミにも等しき美ぼうが前に
Perhaps we can do it together

にも = too, as well
美ぼう = beautiful face
等しく = same
カミ = Hair, Context-Reading.

I've only a problem with the mae ni. But let's try it:

"The hair can be beautiful too, even before"
Old May 8, 2014, 03:05 PM
VGMdb Administrator

For 35, カミ = 神 according to the cutscene title.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deGEWJSsMcs
<< US Track Names I guess.
Old May 13, 2014, 01:39 PM
VGMdb Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
You mean official US track names? If so, why? There's nothing in the description that I can see that would suggest they come from an official source. Could be fan translations, just like we're trying to do...
Old May 13, 2014, 02:06 PM
VGMdb Administrator

All right finally found the English cutscene names in the theater, feel free to use/modify/disregard these at will.

13: Under the sunshine
32: Taranza, the master of puppetry
35: Divine beauty
37: She who holds the stars

Also I checked track 42 on a hunch and found that it's a quote from the final cutscene:

Quote:
デデデ大王は さいなんにも、カービィと間違えられて しまったのでしょう。
けど、かれの力 なくして この国を 救えなかった ことを思えば…
これも、ワールドツリーの きせきの 1つ…なのかもしれませんね。

King Dedede was mistaken for Kirby and was kidnapped by Taranza.
But Floralia would be in ruins had he not played his part.
Indeed, the Dreamstalk works in mysterious ways.
The U.S. version is pretty loosely translated so that there's no real direct analogue of the phrase きせきの1つ to go with, but contextually it's pretty clear in the Japanese that it's supposed to mean "1 of the miracles (of the world tree)."
Old May 15, 2014, 03:53 PM

/ducks in

This soundtack had to grow on me, as I'm huge on Ishikawa and this is huge on Ando, but there's quite a few gems here. Enough that Triple Deluxe is already spamming my Top Rated playlist on my iPod. Of course there's more Ishikawa songs that are favorited than Ando, but...

Although, having played the game, I gotta say I am rather disappointed in what turned out to be the final boss theme. Or does that count to the second to last boss theme? I'm confused since there were like...three or four of them.

/ducks back out