VGMdb
Go Back   VGMdb Forums > Discussion > Video Game Music Discussion > Album Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 13, 2020, 02:00 PM

What I can only assume is Mitsuto Suzuki, largely in chapter 9, is absolutely fire. No surprise here for me, but the clunkers are largely the battle themes and Turks stuff, and even then, there’s some great material and arranging. I’m really looking forward to the full thing.

Last edited by CrackerG; Apr 13, 2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 07:15 AM
VGMdb Advisor
VGM Artist

The discs are divided up roughly by every two chapters of the game. Interesting.

God, the music sounds so much more clear on the soundtrack than it does in the game when drowned out with sound effects and VO. Collapsed Expressway is a perfect example.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 12:20 PM

Wow nice to see you still around Kaleb. Still remembered by time joining Gamingforce up in 2003/2004 and discussing about the music. I am still on my playthrough, but already noticed a few (new) good ones. Time will of course tell which one will stand out.

Of course all the Main Theme arranges are good, and Born Survivors - Section C is pretty nice.

My question: when will we exactly know which composer/arranger is responsible for what?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinova View Post
Wow nice to see you still around Kaleb. Still remembered by time joining Gamingforce up in 2003/2004 and discussing about the music. I am still on my playthrough, but already noticed a few (new) good ones. Time will of course tell which one will stand out.

Of course all the Main Theme arranges are good, and Born Survivors - Section C is pretty nice.

My question: when will we exactly know which composer/arranger is responsible for what?
We'll probably have to wait until the ost is released at the end of May...
Old Apr 21, 2020, 04:58 PM

I just noticed 8th Disc on the official site: https://www.jp.square-enix.com/music...SQEX_10768_75/
Looks like it contains only the tracks you collect in the game. I wonder if it will be included in the 7 Disc Set as a surprise bonus CD
Old Apr 21, 2020, 05:02 PM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Holiday View Post
I just noticed 8th Disc on the official site: https://www.jp.square-enix.com/music...SQEX_10768_75/
Looks like it contains only the tracks you collect in the game. I wonder if it will be included in the 7 Disc Set as a surprise bonus CD
The 7-disc set is the standard edition. The 8th disc is the bonus disc of the Special Edition.

This album: https://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22173
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:23 PM

Loving this soundtrack, but I keep wondering why Hamauzu is using these dry VSL brass samples lately - when he used to work together with Yamazaki his work was always top-notch in terms of synth programming and mixing, yet in 2020 at times he starts to sound like Sakuraba did after Baten Kaitos. It feels ironic that DoC, a PS2 game, technically sounds better than some of his work here.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:31 PM

I actually don't mind it at all, ever since he left Square, Hamauzu has always used a small group of performers. I tend to agree that it may clash with live orchestra, but Hamauzu's samples are really good and it's got better quality than samples Yoshitaka Suzuki tends to use anyway.

You also have to take into account that Square will probably delegate the sound budget to in-house employees first.

Speaking more about the length of the soundtrack, as I'm up to Chapter 15 now, there is certainly a lot of music. Most of it is good. They could easily reuse most of what they made here for future parts and we'll probably end up with a 1-3 disc set for subsequent parts.

I really hope we get a full composer/arranger breakdown but I highly doubt it. As long as they don't plaster Uematsu's name everywhere.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 12:45 PM

I meant that Hamauzu's use of samples and the way they are mixed is noticeably not as good as when Yamazaki was still involved (pre-FFXIII).

Just compare Born Survivors - Section C to 'The Immaculate' from DoC (since the tracks are a bit similar). The former sounds a bit thin in comparison.

I agree about Y. Suzuki btw, which is why his presence everywhere irks me.

Edit: Also, Jessie's theme is 99% sure Hamauzu since the arrangement of that theme, 'The Look on Her Face', is undeniably Hamauzu. Lovely stuff and generally his work here makes me wish for him to return solo on a big mainline title.

Last edited by RemcoMK; Apr 23, 2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemcoMK View Post

Edit: Also, Jessie's theme is 99% sure Hamauzu since the arrangement of that theme, 'The Look on Her Face', is undeniably Hamauzu.
It surely is. Most of chapter 3 and 4 seems to be Hama.

Just like most of 8 seems to be Y. Suzuki (99% certain he did Sector 5 slums theme and it's accompanying mission+battle BGM).

Though I think Kawamori did the excellent Under the Rotting Pizza remix.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyswer View Post
As long as they don't plaster Uematsu's name everywhere.
Don't worry, they will, and folks will go on to credit him for the entirety, just as Shimomura is credited on digital retailers for the entirety of XV.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
It surely is. Most of chapter 3 and 4 seems to be Hama.

Just like most of 8 seems to be Y. Suzuki (99% certain he did Sector 5 slums theme and it's accompanying mission+battle BGM).

Though I think Kawamori did the excellent Under the Rotting Pizza remix.
Y.Suzuki did around 50 tracks (nearly half of the OST I think) and he did the Turks' theme, Turks battle theme, lots of cutscene music and some in-game music. He also arranged the new prelude (which is actually really good and I'm pleasantly surprised by). This was said in a Tweet I can no longer find.

In Chapter 15, Kengo Tokusashi's work is most prominent. M.Hamauzu seems responsible for most of Chapter 14 and some cutscene music. I wouldn't be surprised if he also arranged classic tunes like "On Our Way" and "Main Theme of FFVII" since all of the arranged old tunes are very good and sound like his work.

Chapter 9 mostly has M.Suzuki's work and it's the highlight of the OST by far after I finished the game.

I believe the sector 5 slums theme is an shorter instrumental version of Hollow, which was composed by Uematsu. I bet T.Narita arranged it instead.

The final boss theme is most definitely Hamauzu which I was so surprised by since I thought they were just going to be done by Y.Suzuki like on FFXV (I know Shimomura made a nice final boss theme but it's nothing of note).

In general there's a lot of FFXIII vibes in the OST so I'm not surprised to see most of the old team returning. It's about time. Given that I'm a die hard fan of FF13 and it's musics, these are the best broad guesses I have at who did what.

Also good catch on Kawamori doing the remix, I forget that he's a composer too.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerG View Post
Don't worry, they will, and folks will go on to credit him for the entirety, just as Shimomura is credited on digital retailers for the entirety of XV.
It's not as bad as I thought it would be actually, since I've seen a lot of fans give nods to M.Hamauzu and M.Suzuki... A lot of gamerips that I've been listening on Youtube right now have them credited but of course there's the occasional comment that goes "NOBUO UEMATSU IS A GOD!!!"

Anyway, as we know, a large team is involved - probably more than FFXV base game I think? So they would have to credit everyone, right? Right?

The FFXIV soundtracks give me hope that everyone will be credited however, seeing as they also break down who composed and arranged what and they span around 50-100 tracks each release.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 06:38 AM

And the boss theme "Ghoul" is definitely Yasunori Nishiki's work! It just screams Octopath Traveler to me. I wonder if he was involved any further with original tracks besides this one. I really hope the album has full credits available.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 07:41 AM

"The Valkyrie" has to be Keiki Kobayashi's contribution to the soundtrack. It just sounds like something you would hear in Ace Combat.

Last edited by HarkenX; Apr 27, 2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Loving this soundtrack, but I keep wondering why Hamauzu is using these dry VSL brass samples lately - when he used to work together with Yamazaki his work was always top-notch in terms of synth programming and mixing, yet in 2020 at times he starts to sound like Sakuraba did after Baten Kaitos. It feels ironic that DoC, a PS2 game, technically sounds better than some of his work here.
Have to refrain from what I said earlier, these samples do sort of blend very well with the live performances. Anaways, generally I'm impressed with Hamauzu's work and also with the general cohesiveness of the soundtrack as a whole despite the fact that there's been an army of composers working on it. By the way, I wonder who arranged OWA....?
Old May 4, 2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
And the boss theme "Ghoul" is definitely Yasunori Nishiki's work! It just screams Octopath Traveler to me. I wonder if he was involved any further with original tracks besides this one. I really hope the album has full credits available.
This thing was fuckin' epic. One of the best so far for me. I am kinda excited to know there are more involvements of different composers than what was let on in the beginning.

The auditive variety is definitely there for it to be hard to imagine that all only came from the pencils of two musicians.
Old May 11, 2020, 10:29 PM

I wonder, is the "non" credited for performing guitar with Tsuyoshi Sekito actually Norio Hanzawa?
Old May 22, 2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Tear View Post
If that is true, then he is also responsible for the new One Winged Angel. Very much the same sound/samples.

I'm still torn on that one – on one hand I feel like it's one of the most tasteless things I've heard in a long time (mostly because of the bastardization of Hamaguchi's classy orchestration with epic drums everywhere) but part of me secretly enjoys it. Anyway I would've been fine with a little more restraint, I mean how can they make it even more 'epic' for the upcoming games?
Old May 23, 2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I mean how can they make it even more 'epic' for the upcoming games?
Hamauzu turns it into a 3-movement piano concerto?
Old May 23, 2020, 06:42 AM
Trusted Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungand View Post
Hamauzu turns it into a 3-movement piano concerto?
That reminds me, I wonder if we are gonna get some piano album for the remake, or should Square Enix just let Hamauzu do that.
Old May 23, 2020, 06:44 AM

there are not enough already of useless ff albums, why not several more (1 per ff7 remake)
Old May 23, 2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razakin View Post
That reminds me, I wonder if we are gonna get some piano album for the remake, or should Square Enix just let Hamauzu do that.
Or a OST Plus. Based on the audio samples on Square-Enix's site, there are a number of compositions that appear in-game but not on the upcoming soundtrack. One example is the piece that plays at the beginning of Chapter 15, the solemn arrangement of the Avalanche Theme.
Old May 25, 2020, 07:44 AM
Trusted Editor
VGM Artist

Square Enix Music just announced that a download version of this soundtrack will also be available on May 27th. They didn't give any details as to which services it will be available on yet, but I'm guessing a whole bunch of them.

Tweet: https://twitter.com/sem_sep/status/1264902893905182721
Old May 25, 2020, 08:34 AM

For EU people, does anyone know if this soundtrack will be available on Square Enix store like the Limited Edition? Or should I order it now in japan?
Thanks.
Old May 25, 2020, 09:06 AM

I don't use the Square Enix store, but I think this is what you need:

https://store.eu.square-enix-games.c...l-edit-version

Seems like there's a waiting list though...
Old May 25, 2020, 01:18 PM

This one is the Limited Edition but I don't think it will be restocked.
The JP store lists the two versions:
https://store.jp.square-enix.com/cat..._10776_82.html
https://store.jp.square-enix.com/cat..._10768_75.html
I'm just trying to avoid expensive shipping charge but I think I'll do it as usual.

Thanks for your answer.
Old May 25, 2020, 02:55 PM

the packaging looks like 4 double-cd vinyl-like covers
I'd have preferred a sort of foldable digipak with 4 double-cd parts because those covers look cheap :/
Old May 26, 2020, 03:20 PM

Got my copy.
Crediting is a mess as sadly expected.

Nobuo Uematsu's name is plastered on nearly every track that he composed the original composition to, even if it's heavily arranged by somebody else. Like come on. Why can't they just keep track of who does what? It's so annoying. I hope we can get proper credits somehow soon.

For a mercy at least the 100% original tracks for the remake are properly credited.

About the music: yet to properly listen since it's a mammoth of an OST but I have played the game and I like it of course. These credits leave a bad taste in my mouth...
Old May 26, 2020, 03:34 PM

That really sucks. No surprise, sure, but after FFXV Volume 2, I guess it can't really get much worse. Uematsu appears to be the sole credit on the digital version for his original comps, but maybe I'm missing something on the mora listing.

Also, I'm thrilled I bit the bullet and bought a copy of the standard edition in edition to the special; the packaging is (IMO IMO) way better looking than the special edition.